Injury Report: Bruins Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Another classic HF overreaction. McQuaid will never play for the Bruins again. LOL.

Aside from the fact that he's got a ring for us and another trip to the Finals, is a good leader, plays Bruins hockey to a 'T', and is signed very cheap, the team would never let him go without allowing at least a chance to earn a spot back (assuming he's even lost it at all).

And how about this for a practical matter: Assuming he is going to be traded, which is a big 'if', his trade value is at an all-time low. Why would the Bruins make a trade like that when they would be hard pressed to find value on the market? They wouldn't.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Love Wolf was a playoff beast for us --2 trips to the finals in 3 years with him and we got guys throwing him under the bus in a heartbeat. Sad, really.

Who did the most on this play?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...one-for-season-after-undergoing-ankle-surgery

I am thinking McQuaid did something silly or at least away from the rink to injure that ankle and that is why it's been kept so quiet and we were all led to believe it was still the quad injury. Crazy thinking?

It's not crazy, especially when sports teams are notorious for keeping injury details close to the vest. He was on the ice a couple of weeks ago; perhaps that "something silly" happened on the ice. Rehab is, or course a delicate balance - too slow, and you miss the season, but too fast, and you reinjure yourself.

Not to say stupid things can't happen off ice (cf Gronkowski, Ron, 2013 post-Super Bowl).

But here's some more info from http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/b...e-for-bruins-adam-mcquaid-has-ankle-surgery/:

McQuaid was last seen skating on April 19. According to an industry source, McQuaid made the decision to have ankle surgery once it became clear that he wouldn’t be able to play this season due to the quad injury. At that point, it made sense to take care of the ankle immediately.

At least now we pretty much know the 8 D-men we've got for the rest of the season, barring a Seidenberg miracle.

acr*

I too think that McQuaid is retained and back in the fold next year. I see him and Miller rotating with Krug in the third pairing. Having 7 legit NHL d-men is huge. Chiapet will keep him, especially with his contract hit being what it is. Trading him for a pick does nothing for us.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
How is it he was "day to day" for 3+ months, and waited until now to have surgery? Obviously someone knew the severity of his injury. Why not get it taken care of months ago and give them options come playoff time? #SMH

He has a quad injury. He was skating a couple of weeks ago. He messed up his ankle in some way, and had the surgery now because the quad injury would keep him out anyway.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
It sounds like the ankle injury was something that happened prior to his quad injury but not serious enough to preclude him from playing had be not suffered the quad injury.

Every time you sprain your ankle, your ligaments fray and pull away from the bone causing pieces to chip away. He was probably slated for a little "cleanup" after the season and now that he has been shut down for the year, no need to put off this procedure.

It sucks that he's not playing again but this surgery truly is not a big deal.

This is why sprained ankles are the worst injury a hockey player can sustain.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
obviously the guy is tough as nails but we have to admit he is injury prone. those are just the facts. i like what he brings to the table but i could see miller serving mcquaid's role going forward. miller is younger/cheaper for now. this doesn't constitute throwing mcquaid under the bus. i would just be surprised if he ends up being in their long-term plans. hey i liked mark stuart too but he was ultimately traded. you can't keep everyone you like.

BruinFanSam

Mar 24, 2010
Boston
is seidenbergs recovery unprecedented in the (short) amount of time its taken him? I've never heard of anyone recovering from ACL tear in 5 months...

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
How is it he was "day to day" for 3+ months, and waited until now to have surgery? Obviously someone knew the severity of his injury. Why not get it taken care of months ago and give them options come playoff time? #SMH

Paging Dr. Asnis, paging Dr. Asnis. Please answer this question. Thank you.

Seriously though, it sounds like the ankle injury that while something that needed surgery to correct 100%, was something they felt he could play through the season with and were focused on the quad injury. Once it was determined the quad muscle injury wasn't going to heal in time for this season they decided to just get a head start on the recovery from the ankle surgery. Obviously I have no idea if this is how it went down, but having been through something similar when I was playing in college, I can easily see it.

BruinFanSam

Mar 24, 2010
Boston
Welker tore his ACL in December didnt he - from what I recall it was final game of the season vs houston?? Games didnt start until September in that case making it 9 months. Playoff hockey is a different animal than off-season workouts..

I don't doubt its been done, but is Seidenberg @ <100% an upgrade?

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
I believe welker got hurt Jan 3rd, and played his first regular season game the following Sept 12th. I believe he was also on the field for the preseason as well. Longer than the amount of time Seidenberg has missed, but less than the amount of time A. Peterson missed a few years later.

Mankins played the whole season on a torn ACL a few years back, but I can't imagine playing on a torn ACL is the same as playing on a surgically repaired ACL. Already torn probably can't get much more damaged (Mankins). Already repaired would mean reinjury (Seidenberg).

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I believe welker got hurt Jan 3rd, and played his first regular season game the following Sept 12th. I believe he was also on the field for the preseason as well. Longer than the amount of time Seidenberg has missed, but less than the amount of time A. Peterson missed a few years later.

Mankins played the whole season on a torn ACL a few years back, but I can't imagine playing on a torn ACL is the same as playing on a surgically repaired ACL. Already torn probably can't get much more damaged (Mankins). Already repaired would mean reinjury (Seidenberg).

The principle issue is stability. Some people can perform with a partially torn ACL if their leg muscles (quads and hamstrings) are strong enough to assist in knee stabilization. A surgically repaired ACL is as good as the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->