Injury Report: Bruins Injury Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Speaking of Brain injuries this sadly happened this morning:

Today my Brother-in-Law passed. He was in a coma for 3 months. He was in Toronto at Canada's largest trauma center Sunnybrook for awhile till they sent him back to his hometown Barrie. Nothing they could do for him in Toronto. He was without fluids and drop for the last 14 days. His family suffered watching this as he hung on, with no visible signs of awareness. He would open his eyes but it was blank.

The cause of the coma was a fall hitting his head on a coffee table. He never woke up again, he had been drinking and it was his birthday.

During tonight's game I called both my nephews to let them know I was thinking of them. One I influenced to be a Bruins fan as the father was a diehard Leaf fan. He was drinking and we talked about Pasta and how good this team is.

My sister worked with brain injured patients at a rehab home, teaching them life skills. I volunteered there one night. It makes you rethink risks and long term effects. Head injuries can happen at any time to anyone.

I hope the best for Backes and his family, guy seems like the salt of the earth and has had a great career. Maybe time to think of his next chapter and it being healthy more than wealthy. I do not want to see him get hit again hard with his head down looking for the puck in his skates.
Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Is Bergeron starting to break down?
he's been a mainstay since the 1st lockout of 2004/05, they had to get a waiver to assign him to Providence to practice.... remember the video Bergeron @ 1000..... there has been some strange injuries Patrice has fought through to persevere

Reactions: Strafer

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Yes. We will be lucky to get 50 games out of him this season and who knows if he can even come back next year. He's done and the Bruins are screwed because they have no young centers in the pipeline that can play quality NHL minutes. And, Krejci is already broken down as you've no doubt read here. We're doomed.

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
Yes. We will be lucky to get 50 games out of him this season and who knows if he can even come back next year. He's done and the Bruins are screwed because they have no young centers in the pipeline that can play quality NHL minutes. And, Krejci is already broken down as you've no doubt read here. We're doomed.
:rolleyes:

It's an obvious concern. Either sit him and rest him until he's 100%, or deal with a player that's gonna be a 50/50 shot to play ever night and suffer the consequences come playoff time.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
with groin injuries it is rest, but it can flair up at anytime. Perhaps sit for a month, see how the team does in his absence. They are in a playoff
position weather your 8th or 1st in conference ( see tampa bay) doesn't really matter. Just make the playoffs.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I don't like this business of trying to nurse the injury (whatever it is) just enough so he can play every other game. I don't want to see him worsen this injury if it is possible to fix it now either with complete rest or an operation. The Bruins need him in March, if he misses 2+ months in the meantime so be it.

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
Definitely load management. Would like to see it done for Chara too but he's somehow having his best year in a while.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Bergeron's groin injury %100. I dealt with a groin injury when i played hockey and it simply never goes away 100%.
It sucks because you can never commit 100% of your power in your stride without aggravating it.
There's a bunch of stretching that you can do pre-game but it's never 100%.
As soon as you think it your 100% and you give 100% power BAM!!
That was in my teens, I can't imagine how frustrating/harder it is to deal with in your 30's!

it's a MAJOR PIA!!!!

Bergeron will be fine, but sometimes these things can take a week or two before being 90% better (it's never really 100%)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Bergeron's groin injury %100. I dealt with a groin injury when i played hockey and it simply never goes away 100%.
It sucks because you can never commit 100% of your power in your stride without aggravating it.
That was in my teens, I can't imagine how frustrating/harder it is to deal with in your 30's!

it's a MAJOR PIA!!!!

Bergeron will be fine, but sometimes these things can take a week or two before being 90% better (it's never really 100%)

True that, brother. I tore a groin muscle many years ago and it STILL aggravates. This is like 25 years later, too. Certain things and I can feel it starting to hurt, things that would not normally be a problem.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

it's a MAJOR PIA!!!!

Yeah that's pretty much it. Unless he gets extremely lucky Bergy's never going to be 100%. It's a case of managing him so that he doesn't aggravate things further, and trying to bring him through the season so that at playoff time he's as close to full capacity as possible.

If he misses a game or two here and there to rest, and even if he plays at 80-90% for most of the season, it will be fine and completely worth it if he can hit April in better, stronger shape than he did last season and play his best hockey in the playoffs. 'Peak' Bergeron is probably gone, but even slightly past his best Bergy is still an amazing, incredibly valuable hockey player.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Ice-Berg he's actually melting, slowly but surely. It is a concern...apparently his wife as the house keep temp at -5 to make him comfortable. No need to say the AC in the car is at full force.

Reactions: BMC

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
True that, brother. I tore a groin muscle many years ago and it STILL aggravates. This is like 25 years later, too. Certain things and I can feel it starting to hurt, things that would not normally be a problem.
Only cure is rest and physio, it never is 100%.
I hurt mine playing hockey in my 30's ( 26 years ago) and still feel it once in a while when I play hockey and tennis.

Reactions: Strafer and Dr Hook

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
upload_2019-11-25_17-8-3.gif

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
I don't like this business of trying to nurse the injury (whatever it is) just enough so he can play every other game. I don't want to see him worsen this injury if it is possible to fix it now either with complete rest or an operation. The Bruins need him in March, if he misses 2+ months in the meantime so be it.
Groin injuries are tough. Even with surgery may never be right. It’s been bugging him for a few years. He may have opted to wait due to the short off season but obviously had it been a good solution he would have done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad