Injury Report: Bruins Injury Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Call me callous but I'm running out of sympathy for Mr Backes ,he doesn't strike me as a dope or greedy but this is concussion #10? Come on man

At some point the man just has to accept reality. I imagine it's hard to think about giving up something you've pretty much devoted yourself to and defined your life around, but yeah, really.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I agree, but it appears that they'll have to pry the hockey stick from Backes's cold, dead hands before he gives up the game.

My daughters boyfriend has had a few concussions and is only 25. He is not all there anymore, he thinks he steals things in stores and hits cars. He will circle back and check out cars he passed, total paranoia. I cannot imagine Backes continuing to risk everything for whatever reason that drives him to put himself in harm's way.

Is it true that Backes has TEN ? If so, his family needs an intervention more than him.

Last edited:

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I’d think Backes should be thinking risk/reward here.

He gets scratched in G7 of SCF against his old team. So far this season he’s played in 8 games, has one assist, and is averaging just over 8 mins ATOI. He’ll spend more time in upper decks watching if he comes back IMO.

Meantime, with young kids I’d be thinking carefully about my kids and ensuring my retirement ( if he does come back you’d have to imagine this is last contract, retirement is coming soon one way or the other ) with them is not clouded by lingering health issues.

4 concussions in last four years alone is no bueno.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Speaking of Brain injuries this sadly happened this morning:

Today my Brother-in-Law passed. He was in a coma for 3 months. He was in Toronto at Canada's largest trauma center Sunnybrook for awhile till they sent him back to his hometown Barrie. Nothing they could do for him in Toronto. He was without fluids and drop for the last 14 days. His family suffered watching this as he hung on, with no visible signs of awareness. He would open his eyes but it was blank.

The cause of the coma was a fall hitting his head on a coffee table. He never woke up again, he had been drinking and it was his birthday.

During tonight's game I called both my nephews to let them know I was thinking of them. One I influenced to be a Bruins fan as the father was a diehard Leaf fan. He was drinking and we talked about Pasta and how good this team is.

My sister worked with brain injured patients at a rehab home, teaching them life skills. I volunteered there one night. It makes you rethink risks and long term effects. Head injuries can happen at any time to anyone.

I hope the best for Backes and his family, guy seems like the salt of the earth and has had a great career. Maybe time to think of his next chapter and it being healthy more than wealthy. I do not want to see him get hit again hard with his head down looking for the puck in his skates.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and TOR1970Cup

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Today my Brother-in-Law passed. He was in a coma for 3 months. He was in Toronto at Canada's largest trauma center Sunnybrook for awhile till they sent him back to his hometown Barrie. Nothing they could do for him in Toronto. He was without fluids and drop for the last 14 days. His family suffered watching this as he hung on, with no visible signs of awareness. He would open his eyes but it was blank.

The cause of the coma was a fall hitting his head on a coffee table. He never woke up again, he had been drinking and it was his birthday.

During tonight's game I called both my nephews to let them know I was thinking of them. One I influenced to be a Bruins fan as the father was a diehard Leaf fan. He was drinking and we talked about Pasta and how good this team is.

My sister worked with brain injured patients at a rehab home, teaching them life skills. I volunteered there one night. It makes you rethink risks and long term effects. Head injuries can happen at any time to anyone.

I hope the best for Backes and his family, guy seems like the salt of the earth and has had a great career. Maybe time to think of his next chapter and it being healthy more than wealthy. I do not want to see him get hit again hard with his head down looking for the puck in his skates.
Sorry for your loss. Terrible story - sounds like a brutal and very sad experience. Best wishes to you and your family.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

Sorry for your loss.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

I'm very sorry for your loss

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and you family

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

So, so sorry for your loss.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

I'm so sorry for your loss.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

Tragic loss. Condolences to your nephews & family.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Thanks everyone, probably the wrong forum or thread for this for. It kinda seemed relevant with brain injuries and consequences and how fast things can change.

Now back to the topic of the team and getting healthy. Soon Moore and Miller will be back adding size and toughness. It is going to be interesting to see who goes where. One good thing is they have more quality depth than I can ever remember. Even when Seny, Backes and Kuhlman get better, there is going to be some shuffling. Bjork looks like he has made his way on the team.

Reactions: sooshii

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Seems like Bergeron is now getting the Kahwi Leonard treatment, paid off in spades last year for Leonard.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Seems like Bergeron is now getting the Kahwi Leonard treatment, paid off in spades last year for Leonard.
That's the first thought that crossed my mind after the Leafs game because they were going into a back-to-back but then he sat out again against the Devils 3 days later.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'm all for it.

The short off season obviously precluded him from having surgery to permanently fix the problem.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Sweeney is just trying to hold on to his spot on the all time games played for the Bruins list as long as he can. :sarcasm: Bergeron needs I think four more games to pass him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad