NESN Bruins in 4K situation is getting clearer.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NESN is close to a deal with Xfinity, Spectrum, and Cox to offer the NESN 360 app on the cable boxes.

FIOS, DirectTV and Fubo offer a dedicated NESN 4K channel.

What NESN has found out in field tests the best 4K signal is using an Amazon Fire Stick that is designed for 4K

NESN and YouTubeTV are talking again as NESN has conceded they will not be part of a basic channel plan but as a sports tier.

ONE THING I WANT TO MAKE CLEAR

The video output from the Game Creek Video trucks is as good as any video feed in the industry. ( as long as there are no pizza boxes )

The problem is we deliver a signal to NESN in Watertown and then they redistribute it to cable providers across New England - signals are compressed and issues occur.

NESN sends out feeds tailored for different regions in New England and you can tell which feed you are getting by the weather updates that NESN shows in pre and postgame shows. Boston you see updates from Channel 25, Providence you see updates from WJAR, Hartford you see FOX61, Springfield from Channel 22, Maine from News Center Maine, and Vermont WCAX. Commercials for each region are then tweaked.

The problem is the process is automated and nobody in Watertown is watching each feed unless they get a server error. That is why sometimes in Boston you are getting a weather update from Rhode Island or Connecticut.

We also deliver a signal to the NHL studios in New Jersey which is what ESPN+ uses.

Now we are dealing with digitally enhanced boards generated in the UNITED KINGDOM.

:banghead:

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
IDK where the break down is in the signal path, but the final picture is really bad. It's so dark and gray washed of any color saturation it's painful to watch. Not just the broadcasts (I stream on ESPN+ through my Apple TV 4k), but even the highlight videos on Youtube look equally bad.

It's really jarring using ESPN+ where I can jump to the opponent's broadcast and those are always so much brighter and colorful than NESN. Especially the ones on a Ballys network.

Just frustrating and typical that NESN appears to be the only regional network seeing such issues with the same things all other regionals are able to handle without issue.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i have spectrum and was trying to watch in 4k on the roku nesn360 app.
it seems i have to log in each time i use it on a different tv?? is there a way around this???

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
IDK where the break down is in the signal path, but the final picture is really bad. It's so dark and gray washed of any color saturation it's painful to watch. Not just the broadcasts (I stream on ESPN+ through my Apple TV 4k), but even the highlight videos on Youtube look equally bad.

It's really jarring using ESPN+ where I can jump to the opponent's broadcast and those are always so much brighter and colorful than NESN. Especially the ones on a Ballys network.

Just frustrating and typical that NESN appears to be the only regional network seeing such issues with the same things all other regionals are able to handle without issue.
This. The Anaheim feed last night was easier on the eyes. The NESN feed looked dark with a light green tint

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’ve already said this a couple of times, but what upsets me way more than the crappy picture quality is when the audio is running what seems like a full second ahead of the video feed. Jack will be calling the goal and the crowd is cheering before I’ve even seen the puck go in.

To be fair, this was happening on ESPN (or was it TNT) as well on opening night agains the Caps.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Watching Bruins Breakaway in 4K on NESN 360 using Fire TV Cube. Picture is outstanding! Ice is white, contrast amazing, lines are crisp. I'll never watch cable again! Plus it's free with your cable sub, which I'm paying for anyway.

Thanks for the tip, @Fenway!

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
what am I doing wrong.. I have NESN 360 running on a Apple TV 4K with a 4K LG OLED tv. it says I can't play 4k content

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
what am I doing wrong.. I have NESN 360 running on a Apple TV 4K with a 4K LG OLED tv. it says I can't play 4k content
the app is buggy as shit.
i have to log in every time i watch on a diffefent tv.
i also cant watch other shows from the schedule

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I ca't exactly speak to that but I have a 4K LG OLED with a lot of App issues. Lots of info out there on LGs and App incompatabilities.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Looks like I'm watching a bunch of 4K still shots. Jumping from one to the next with black screen in between. Hopefully they can work on this during intermission.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Looks like I'm watching a bunch of 4K still shots. Jumping from one to the next with black screen in between. Hopefully they can work on this during intermission.

Mine is not that bad, but still unwatchable. Audio is choppy, picture keeps freezing. Oh well, it worked for one game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad