Bruins half-season report card?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
What's your report card look like?

Marchand A+
Pasta A+
Chara A+ (fountain of youth. seems to have cut down on the turnovers and is on pace for +38)
Halak A+ (2nd in sv pct, 3rd in gaa)
Bergeron A
Rask A (9th in sv pct, 6th in gaa)
Krejci A (on pace for 62 points and a +35 without anyone playing well on his wings)
Krug A
Carlo A (absolute monster defensively, love that he’s jumping into the offense more, but misses more shots than rich peverley)
Coyle A- (on pace for 60 takeaways, dominant possession player)

McAvoy B (plays massive minutes against top lines and is on pace for +27 but his offense has regressed)
Moore B+ (small sample but has played great)
Bjork B+
Gryz B (looks like a top pair defensemen when given the minutes, but has been relegated to 3rd pair most of the season)
Wagner B (one of the league leaders in hits, you know what to expect every game)
Nordstrom B (not my favorite player, but plays hard and smart)

Kuraly C (poor start, but looking good lately)
DeBrusk C- (goals, points, hits, takeaways… everything is down)
Clifton C- (was hoping for more)
Heinen D+ (struggling to find his game this year)
Lindholm D (placeholder)
Ritchie F (doesn’t play big when we need him, doesn’t score

Backes inc. (I don’t know what to give him. He rarely dresses and when he does he never plays. The handful of shifts I have seen I thought he looked pretty good but he gets benched faster than Heinen)

Agree? Disagree?

Can't argue with much here,maybe Gryz who I don't trust,and Chara I'd drop down to a B B+. Coyle is a great hockey player with a big hole in his game-offense,I'd give him a B.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Perfection Line A
Krejci A
DeBrusk C-
Heinen D+
Bjork B
Kuraly C-
Wagner C+
Nordstrom B
Coyle B
Backes B+ (where is he)
Ritchie D

Chara A-
McAvoy B
Carlo A
Krug B
Clifton B-
Grzelcyk B+
Kampfer A-
Moore B+

Goalies A

Cassidy A-
Sweeney B

HF Bruins board B+
Me B
I am glad you included Kampfer and agree A-

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Marchand A+
Pasta A+
Chara A
Halak A-
Bergeron A
Rask A-
Krejci B+
Krug A-
Carlo B+
Coyle B+

McAvoy B
Moore B
Bjork B
Gryz B
Wagner C+
Nordstrom B-

Kuraly C+
DeBrusk C+
Clifton B-
Heinen C
Lindholm C (I mean he is what he is)
Ritchie D

It’s a really good team. With a quality addition in the next month and a half they have just as good a chance as anybody. Just have to get hot at the right time

If Carlo is a B+, Krug cannot be an A-.

aguineapig

Not going to use a letter grade. Numeric on a scale of 1 to 31, I'll go a 3. That's where we are overall, and as they say numbers don't lie. But past performance is no guarantee of future results as they say in your mutual fund prospectus. We are what we are and we ain't what we ain't. We all see where we must upgrade and if we see it then the Boys upstairs must too. But unlike the old days where it took two teams to make a trade nowadays it's a three way due to salary cap. Dom says Evan is Gold in that department, maybe he can stash some salary in an off shore account to afford some help. Still I'd rather be looking down in the standings knowing what we need than looking up wondering if we can make it up knowing we didn't have enough.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Every single player not on the first line needs to be doing better. D are generally fine, although Griz needs to play smarter and Charlie needs to find his offensive game. Goalies are doing great. Coaching needs a firm kick in the seat of the pants due to being ADHD with the lines and stupid player choice in the lineup (I realize management shares some of the blame), but Cassidy is overall a very good coach. GM rating is yet to be determined since moves clearly need to be made, but there is still time to deal with that. A failure to bring in proven secondary scoring in the bottom 9 will sink the Bs Cup hopes and the GM will have utterly failed the team this season. Based on last season I have confidence in the GM.

Overall team grade at the end of 2019: Solid B

Glad they are in first thanks to a hot start, but they are in a weak division and have lost to too many basement-tier teams, are extremely reliant on the PP and first line for scoring, and have too much 4th line talent in the bottom 9. As is, the Bs are a long-term injury to Marchy or Pasta to being in a bad spot due to laughable lack of offensive depth beyond the first line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad