98.5 The Sports Hub Bruins GM Don Sweeney announces staff updates

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
JP Buckley is out as video coordinator.

There was friction between the bench and video on challenge calls last year but I don't know if that is the reason.

Bruins GM Don Sweeney announces staff updates

Just days after extending head coach Bruce Cassidy's contract, Sweeney confirmed a total of eight staff updates at all levels for the Bruins.

Starting at the top of the Black and Gold front office braintrust, Scott Bradley has been named Senior Advisor to the General Manager, while Evan Gold has been named Assistant General Manager/Director of Legal Affairs. Bradley has been with the Bruins since 1993, and had served as the team's assistant general manager since 2014. Gold, meanwhile, joined the Bruins in 2015 after spending eight years with the Capitals' hockey ops department.

In the video room, the Bruins confirmed that Mathew Myers has been named Video Coordinator, while Hunter Cherni has been named Assistant Video Coordinator. Cherni's promotion is a true hockey one, really, as he'll make the leap from the P-Bruins to the Big B's.

In the hockey operations department, Josh Pohlkamp-Hartt has been named Hockey Operations Analyst, while Campbell Weaver has been named Hockey Operations Data Engineer.

At the player development level, Jamie Langenbrunner has officially been named Director of Player Development/Player Personnel Associate. The Bruins hired Chris Kelly earlier this summer to help Langenbrunner in the player development department, and this confirms that Kelly's addition by all means meant that Langenbrunner was getting a promotion.

And in the scouting department, Arseniy Bondarev has been named a Russian scout.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Good to see, would like some more CHL scouts.

Bruins are doing a ton of crossover scouting. More then most.

Extra bodies doesn't solve anything. In fact, probably better to do more crossover scouting since all the scouts get to see just about everyone eligible for the draft and management doesn't have to listen to arguments about scout A's player versus Scout B's player.

That's not being cheap BTW. It probably costs more to fly guys around North America, set their accommodations and meals up then it costs to add an extra body or two.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Bruins are doing a ton of crossover scouting. More then most.

Extra bodies doesn't solve anything. In fact, probably better to do more crossover scouting since all the scouts get to see just about everyone eligible for the draft and management doesn't have to listen to arguments about scout A's player versus Scout B's player.

That's not being cheap BTW. It probably costs more to fly guys around North America, set their accommodations and meals up then it costs to add an extra body or two.

just to clarify Dom if I may, when you say "crossover scouting" does this mean that while they have scouts in Ontario, those scouts would sometimes come out West or into Quebec to have a look at kids play?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Neat

Attachments

• 611F48F6-51A0-40F3-ACE9-DCAA4F146539.jpeg
    611F48F6-51A0-40F3-ACE9-DCAA4F146539.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 8

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
just to clarify Dom if I may, when you say "crossover scouting" does this mean that while they have scouts in Ontario, those scouts would sometimes come out West or into Quebec to have a look at kids play?

Not all the scouts but some of them. Guys like Nadeau, Malkoc, Fitzy, Axelsson will travel all over.

Wetick, who scouts the OHL has been to some Q games just across the border.

Malkoc, who is the WHL scout, from what I know was the most adamant in drafting Senyshyn.

Reactions: MoffatMan

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Glad to see Bondarev added to the staff. The Bruins, until recently, have shied away from engaging in Russia. There were a couple of Russians on the Challenge roster. Solovyev, in particular, did not look out of place in that tournament.

Reactions: bbfan419

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not all the scouts but some of them. Guys like Nadeau, Malkoc, Fitzy, Axelsson will travel all over.

Wetick, who scouts the OHL has been to some Q games just across the border.

Malkoc, who is the WHL scout, from what I know was the most adamant in drafting Senyshyn.

Ok thanks Dom, good to hear, really seems like Sweeney has addressed what sounded like a very lean scouting crew prior to him taking over

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
How 'North American studies' major Evan Gold came to be Don...

Gold is part of the NHL’s modern movement. What he lacks in goals and assists is counteracted by the initials he can put next to his name: JD and MBA. Gold, who completed his graduate studies at the University of Toronto, has the law background to work within the 540 pages of the collective bargaining agreement and the financial expertise to negotiate the salary cap.

“I don’t know that the responsibilities change all that much,” Gold said of his promotion. “We have a good group. I just stay in my lane and kind of continue. Some of that involves being the point man on the CBA stuff, admin, compliance. Obviously salary cap, Don and I work closely on that. Contract negotiations. Salary arbitration. My job, more or less, will stay the same going forward. I do some scouting in the area, both at the pro and amateur levels, so I’ll try and do a little more of that.”
Sweeney attended Harvard. But in today’s league, even an Ivy League economics major like Sweeney needs white-collar experts to pursue compliance of all kinds. The GM has identified Gold as such a resource. Gold fits within a hybrid staff that includes data engineers like Campbell Weaver, who used to work at Facebook, and ex-NHL players like Chris Kelly, newly hired as player development coordinator.

“Donny’s progressive. He likes to see the new blood come in,” Bradley said. “I think Evan’s going to do a great job. Different lane than me. He’s legal, contracts, money.”

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Glad to see Bondarev added to the staff. The Bruins, until recently, have shied away from engaging in Russia. There were a couple of Russians on the Challenge roster. Solovyev, in particular, did not look out of place in that tournament.

Where have you gone Evgeny Riyabchickov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad