Management Bruins GM Don Sweeney addresses signings- All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
What constitutes "performing extremely well"?

I think in his five games he had some ups and downs, though in the game where he was injured, I thought he played one of his best games and looked promising. I wouldn't say extremely well, but looked better than his first call up where he was out of position and didn't have that quick initial stride. Seemed like a good fit with 46 and 74.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think in his five games he had some ups and downs, though in the game where he was injured, I thought he played one of his best games and looked promising. I wouldn't say extremely well, but looked better than his first call up where he was out of position and didn't have that quick initial stride. Seemed like a good fit with 46 and 74.

I'm being overly nitpicky because I'm honestly tired of this misguided belief that Cehlarik played out of his mind in the short times he's gotten a chance. I think, like you, that he was up and down. He showed some flashes but also made a few glaring mistakes, like any young player still learning and adjusting to the pro game will. I'm not down on the guy and I think he'll be good in the long run, but I hate this false narrative here that he was the answer to making DK an effective player again. He's not. Let's just give him the space and time he needs to become the player he's going to be.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I'm being overly nitpicky because I'm honestly tired of this misguided belief that Cehlarik played out of his mind in the short times he's gotten a chance. I think, like you, that he was up and down. He showed some flashes but also made a few glaring mistakes, like any young player still learning and adjusting to the pro game will. I'm not down on the guy and I think he'll be good in the long run, but I hate this false narrative here that he was the answer to making DK an effective player again. He's not. Let's just give him the space and time he needs to become the player he's going to be.

I agree. We can't act like he doesn't have holes in his game. I've liked the positives in his game though so it'll be interesting to see if he can put it all together and play more than 5-10 a season.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I agree. We can't act like he doesn't have holes in his game. I've liked the positives in his game though so it'll be interesting to see if he can put it all together and play more than 5-10 a season.

It would help if he could stay healthy. To me, that is the biggest thing that has kept him from a roster spot, because he looked like he belonged out there: raw, needs to keep improving sure, but that's hard to do when every two weeks something is pulled, strained, or twisted

Reactions: Grimey

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
It would help if he could stay healthy. To me, that is the biggest thing that has kept him from a roster spot, because he looked like he belonged out there: raw, needs to keep improving sure, but that's hard to do when every two weeks something is pulled, strained, or twisted

Yes, the guy can't seem to catch a break injury-wise. I'd have liked to see him iron parts of his game out with Boston the past season, but shit happens.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yes, the guy can't seem to catch a break injury-wise. I'd have liked to see him iron parts of his game out with Boston the past season, but **** happens.

This is a contract year for him. I feel like if he doesn't sort out his injury problems, he'll need to sort out a new employer this time next year.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
This is a contract year for him. I feel like if he doesn't sort out his injury problems, he'll need to sort out a new employer this time next year.

Hate to say it because I think this kid has a lot of potential, but you’re right. The development machine is churning and time is passing. He needs to step up and make good sooner than later

Reactions: Dr Hook

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Free agency this year was pretty Meh, but their wasn't a whole lot out there besides the Tavares sweepstakes. Moore can hopefully help weather the storm of a loss like Carlo which happened at last year's end. Halak isn't terrible but rather his money go towards adding a 3rd line center. Rather pay Riley Nash than that contract.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

I feel that Cehlarik has taken on a mythical status with the way a couple of posters have gone on about him. I don't see a future for him in Boston.

Reactions: LSCII and Blowfish

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Free agency this year was pretty Meh, but their wasn't a whole lot out there besides the Tavares sweepstakes. Moore can hopefully help weather the storm of a loss like Carlo which happened at last year's end. Halak isn't terrible but rather his money go towards adding a 3rd line center. Rather pay Riley Nash than that contract.
In 2012 into 2013 the Red Sox fans were calling wanting Josh Hamilton.

I was driving to work one morning listening to Gerry Callahan ranting they needed Hamilton and crapping over next he Napoli, Victorino, Uehara etc signings

The experts picked them last

Fluke ? Maybe but it worked and Hamilton was a bust in Anaheim

Matt Karlman and Ty Anderson are my go to writers - a lot of them are excellent but these two are very good and my favorites

Wagner - called it last month so naturally I like it

Halak- no brainer at under price, he’s only 33 and has had multiple years top 5 starter

Moore- I liked, Lou does and that’s more important to me when it comes to the fans view- Kevin Dean a former Devils and Bruce Cassidy who has watched him in the AHL and now NHL both recommend

Got to go with them over HF posters

Nordström- meh. Reed Duthie really likes this low risk signing

If Zboril, Lauzon, Vaakanainen Show in Camp they are ready you now have a
Huge inventory of D to make a deal maybe a big one

My take is their is strength in numbers and 1-8 plus the deep prospect pool that got deeper with Andersson being drafted has Boston only behind Tampa in defenses I’d trade organizationally for.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

with you there and have said the same and I took a bit of interwebz abuse. Liked some things from the guy, didn` t like other things, thought the AHL was the spot for him to work on improving in those areas. The injuries are a concern, in all honesty, I think if anything is holding up his development, it`s not unreasonable to say he can`t stay healthy, hard to develop when one played 35 ish games last year, think he almost hit 50 games a few years ago

Reactions: LSCII

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
It seems there is more skepticism over Sweeney's moves than just those on this board. Todd Cordell of mynhltraderumors.com listed the Bruins, along with Islanders and Canucks as the three teams who were not successful on day one of UFA signings.
"The Bruins were quite active on the opening day of
free agency in signing three players to multi-year
contracts. Not necessarily good ones, though"

He analyzes the three players signed and was particularly critical of John Moore.. He states that over the last three seasons with the Devils their performance on 5v5 were consistently worse with John on the ice.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It seems there is more skepticism over Sweeney's moves than just those on this board. Todd Cordell of mynhltraderumors.com listed the Bruins, along with Islanders and Canucks as the three teams who were not successful on day one of UFA signings.

He analyzes the three players signed and was particularly critical of John Moore.. He states that over the last three seasons with the Devils their performance on 5v5 were consistently worse with John on the ice.

Who is Todd Cordell, and why should I care about his opinion?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

His advanced stats have gotten better each year, and his goalies were at a .920 sv pt 5v5 over his time there, which has been better than Chara, Krug and Carlo (not this year).

Way too many variables go into the advanced stats IMO.

Reactions: LSCII

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I like your support of him. I hope you are right on with him as well.

We all see things we like don’t like. In my eyes I see someone that sees the ice better than any prospect we have and this includes the likes of Heinen Donato etc. His passing is elite has good size and his skating has improved. I saw up close first hand bruins brass drooling over him 2 years ago. The only thing holding him back is bad luck. Which I agree does impeded his development but he’s already ahead of some players in that area.

By all accounts he works extremely hard i providence which will do him well moving forward.

Reactions: Ratty

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
His advanced stats have gotten better each year, and his goalies were at a .920 sv pt 5v5 over his time there, which has been better than Chara, Krug and Carlo (not this year).

Way too many variables go into the advanced stats IMO.
He seems from his descriptions as a LH Colin Miller. Do you see him that way? You've seen more of him than we.

If he is as good as Colin proved to be since moving to Vegas, I'll be satisfied.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I feel that Cehlarik has taken on a mythical status with the way a couple of posters have gone on about him. I don't see a future for him in Boston.

I don't know if he has a future or not, but I am open to finding out. What I don't want is to simply hand him a job and not make him earn it. If he earns it out of camp, great.

Reactions: Estlin and Blowfish

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
We all see things we like don’t like. In my eyes I see someone that sees the ice better than any prospect we have and this includes the likes of Heinen Donato etc. His passing is elite has good size and his skating has improved. I saw up close first hand bruins brass drooling over him 2 years ago. The only thing holding him back is bad luck. Which I agree does impeded his development but he’s already ahead of some players in that area.

By all accounts he works extremely hard i providence which will do him well moving forward.

He played 3 years in a mens league in Sweden before he even got here. In a full seasons worth of AHL games he has gone 31-30-61 which is better than our other prospects. I don't love him like you do, but I would love to see him get a shot and flourish.

Reactions: Blowfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad