Management Bruins GM Don Sweeney addresses signings- All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
On paper, the Bruins are the 3rd best team in the Atlantic right now. Young player/prospect depth has been a strength but none of the youth has #1/top 6 talent except McAvoy.

The Bruins are being forced to settle in their spot within the division and hope that last year was no fluke because Toronto is better and in a seven game series with Tavares and Kadri they most likely beat the Bruins. Not to mention that TB is still better than the Bruins.

Sweeney may think he improved his current roster and I guess I can give him that. The only issue is that other teams improved their rosters more or had better squads to begin with.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
On paper, the Bruins are the 3rd best team in the Atlantic right now. Young player/prospect depth has been a strength but none of the youth has #1/top 6 talent except McAvoy.

The Bruins are being forced to settle in their spot within the division and hope that last year was no fluke because Toronto is better and in a seven game series with Tavares and Kadri they most likely beat the Bruins. Not to mention that TB is still better than the Bruins.

Sweeney may think he improved his current roster and I guess I can give him that. The only issue is that other teams improved their rosters more or had better squads to begin with.
Only one improved. TB already had McD.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If I’m Sweeney I tell Toronto I’ll take Matt Martin and his $2.5 M Cap hit next 2 years if they include their 1st round pick

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
There’s obviously a deal on defense coming eventually. Today wasn’t Bruins day. They’ll get there before game 1.

Pretty happy. The Bruins were best last year when the top young forwards played. They picked up some play it safe guys, but no one who should block a top kid who is ready.

If they max out on a D deal and today was snatching up some under appreciated lower line guys, things are going as I’d want.

DS...make a splash on D. A wow move. Think young, 2-3, with potential to grow.

Last edited:

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Last year, the Bruins had 5 full time rookies (McAvoy, Grzelcyk, Kuraly, Heinen, and DeBrusk) and 2 part time rookies (Bjork and Donato).

But every doomsayer on this board is correct. What we saw was the peak any of them will ever achieve and they will never get better. This team is worse off because they lost a 4th line LW and replaced him with a different 4th line LW.

:sarcasm:

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Last year, the Bruins had 5 full time rookies (McAvoy, Grzelcyk, Kuraly, Heinen, and DeBrusk) and 2 part time rookies (Bjork and Donato).

But every doomsayer on this board is correct. What we saw was the peak any of them will ever achieve and they will never get better. This team is worse off because they lost a 4th line LW and replaced him with a different 4th line LW.

:sarcasm:

You're definitely right, but I could come in here and be a debbie downer by pointing out that many of those young kids could be in for a year 2 regression.

Although I did forget about Bjork a bit. Maybe he fills that open wing spot?

Reactions: BMC

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
DeBrusk - Krejci - ??
Donato - ?Heinen? - Backes
Bjork - Kuraly - Wagner

Chara - Carlo (should be 2nd pairing)
Moore - McAvoy (2nd pairing)
Krug - Miller (ideal 3rd pairing)

Grz - McQuaid

Basically #2 RW, #3 C, #1/2 LD.

None of this is available on the UFA market so one has to think trade... Would be trying for Muzin from LA to see if there is something to do there. The D is going to be the handicap this year unless they get another top 4 guy. Come playoffs we can't count on 4 2nd pairing players and a good 3rd pairing...

I really wish they could have landed Fowler when his name was boucing around - would have made for an impressive top 3 with Fowler, McAvoy, Carlo that you can mix and match across all styles with a 4th all round D... ANA needs to get younger fast up front so curious if they'd go for Donato, Krug and a prospect. That would open up the cap space and slot for Neal at 4x5M...

March-Bergeron-Pasta
Neal-Krejci-Backes
DeBrusk-Heinen-Bjork
Kuraly-Acciari-Wagner

Fowler-McAvoy
Chara-Carlo
Moore-Miller

Grz (AHL)-McQuaid (traded) May need to make one more move to cover this year but sets the B's D up perfectly for the next 5-6 years...

Reactions: HustleB

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
The point is those rookies stuck. Who's to say the Cehlariks, Fitzgeralds, Karlssons, Zborils can't do the same if given the same opportunities?

All of those players earned their playing time and all those players you named with be given the same opportunity.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-???
Heinen-???-Backes
???-???-Acciari

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Moore-Miller

That's at least 4 forward spots up for grabs and Acciari's spot on the team is absolutely not safe. I don't think anyone expects Wagner or Nordstrom to play 3rd line center. Donato is our most promising forward prospect but that hardly promises him a spot over anyone who played in the AHL this season if they outplay him. Same with Bjork. There will be plenty of spots to win in camp and we don't even know what the roster is going to look like.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
There’s obviously a deal on defense coming eventually. Today wasn’t Bruins day. They’ll get there before game 1.

Pretty happy. The Bruins were best last year when the top young forwards played. They picked up some play it safe guys, but no one who should block a top kid who is ready.

If they max out on a D deal and today was snatching up some under appreciated lower line guys, things are going as I’d want.

DS...make a splash on D. A wow move. Think young, 2-3, with potential to grow.

The top six is too small to handle the playoffs. Ideally they need a Simmonds type player.

Look who won. Big is still needed, it just has to be able to skate and play too, which I understand is tough to get, but they need it badly. We are getting into Hab territory with small skill that never got them far.

Reactions: Top Shelf Wrister

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He has some big contracts to fill. JT would have complicated things. Like many have said. Moore (btw I though it was other Moore and freaked) makes it very likely a trade is coming. Doesn’t have to happen immediately but it’s coming.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I love being surrounded by non Bruins fans,

Donnie Discount strikes again!

I hope you kept your receipt on your new Bruins Tavares jersey

No trades? Shocked.

Move to Boston/New England... You can listen to Bruins fans:

"Don Sweeney sahcks! I don't even know who deez guys aah!"

"Sweeney loses Tavahrez. Can't close a deal!"

"Can't believe dey let Doobie go! Who da hell is Halaaak? I don't know but I bet he sahcks!"

**Accents may vary**

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Move to Boston/New England... You can listen to Bruins fans:

"Don Sweeney sahcks! I don't even know who deez guys aah!"

"Sweeney loses Tavahrez. Can't close a deal!"

"Can't believe dey let Doobie go! Who da hell is Halaaak? I don't know but I bet he sahcks!"

**Accents may vary**
Or my personal favorite courtesy of Fred Toucher and Joe Haggerty this morning

"The guys signed are jabroni's"

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad