Bruins future goaltending

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
I just watched Claude start Khudobin two games in a row because of Rask's lack of concentration in the Jets game...I've seen Claude go with Thomas over him for a dozen straight games even when Timmy wasn't at his best...I have seen Rask pitch a shut out and not get another start for two weeks.

There is obviously something that Claude is not comfortable with. I have no idea what it could be, but if Chiarelli and Neely feel the same way, maybe two years from now we go with Subban or Svedberg. I *think* Chia inks him long term, but to be honest I thought it would be done by now.

I agree with you 100% and have noticed the same things over the years. Frankly I hope that either the Bruins completely bomb this season and miss the playoffs and Claude gets canned, or that Tuukka decides to take a starting job elsewhere and Julien can then see how well he does with an untested teenager and an AHL goalie starting for his system that creates 1-2 goals for per game. Julien has many failings (for example it's pretty obvious if you're under 30 years old he doesn't trust you one bit) and the fact that Thomas gifted him the cup just made everyone forget about them for a while. All in all I don't think Clode and Rask fit under the same roof very well.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Here is what I would do as GM (take notes Chia-pet).

1) Sign Rask to a nice deal. 4 years x 5.25M avg.

2) Trade Khudobin's rights for a prospect or pick before the FA deadline.

3) Sign a "veteran" backup for Rask next year. This guy should be a character player in the dressing room and be happy to accept a backup role, but would be able to fill in admirably for Rask when we have back to back nights.

4) Let Svedberg play in the AHL next year to get work.

5) Trade Subban to Calgary in a package for Iginla NOW.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Subban is 4 to 5 years away from making an appearance in the NHL as a regular goalie.

This. The kid hasn't even been playing the position for a decade yet. Do I think he will be a real good NHL goalie when he is fully developed? Yes. But it's going to take him several more years to work on his technique and game in the O before he's ready for full time pro duty at any level.

Looking forward to seeing the improvements he makes for the next WJC!

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Unless Svedberg is getting 30+ starts, it makes no sense to have him in Boston next year.

2 possibilities here:

1) Rask has a decent rest of the year and a decent enough playoff to make you think he's your #1 goalie and you should invest in him.

In that case, you let Khudo walk, sign a bargain basement back up for 1 year and let Rask and Svedberg each be #1 guys on their respective teams.

2) Rask falters. You either deal his rights, or resign him to a fairly short term/affordable deal and let he and Svedberg battle it out next year. Splitting time 50-30 for whoever wins.

Rask is a #1 goalie...

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
I don't care how many regular season games Rask wins , playoff games are the real test for this young goaltender. The other thing that bothers me is when this team in front of him play subpar hockey , can he shut the opposition down by himself ? Time will tell !

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Khudo will sign for a couple of years, then Svedberg will be Rask's backup for 2-3 years.

Subban will never make the NHL.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Everyone makes me laugh, Tuukka rask is one of the best goalies in the league, and hes top 3 in G.A.A and SV%.

Hes in the running for the vezina and is still pretty young!

Rask is the bruins future.

This is probably true. I gave up trying to project the future at goalie when Raycroft won the Calder and looked like the future. Journyman Timmy comes over and is the best guy they've had in my life time. You just never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad