Bruins future goaltending

mibs

Feb 6, 2013
Hi all,

First of all, I am a Habs fan so please don't hold back on the insults and hurtful comments;)

My question is what will the Bruins do in the future regarding their goaldenters.

With the fallout with Thomas, I see Rask as the unanimous Starter and possibly the long term solution. Khudobin as Rask's backup since I don't believe he would be able to surpass him on the depth chart. But now things get a little intereseting with the drafting of Malcom Subban.

Knowing that goaltenders are incredibly hard to predict, but if all of these goalies achieve their potential, we would have Rask as a starter, SUbban as a starter, and Kudobin as an NHL goalie.

Now considering that both Rask and Subban haven't established themselves as the unanimous long term goalie in the near future ( Probably 3-4 year from not at least), the Bruins might want to hang on to them both and roll them as a 1A and 1B type of situation, ala Vancouver is doing currently. But we know that starting golatenders want to start and might look elsewhere for the opportunity, leading to an eventual trade.

Should the Bruins bank of Subban's potential and trade a proven Rask for a Proven nhl player, or should they gamble on subban and the return he nets them(Personally feels it would be a top 4 dman or top 6 foward prospect with similar upside)?

Thanks

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
My money is on Svedberg being Boston's #1 in 14-15.

This kid is the real deal. It will be interesting to see what the Bs do concerning Rask's contract. I say they will move him if the right deal comes along.

I must admit I'm not a believer in Rask

thornton22

Mar 13, 2013
Boston
I think we'll see Rask as our starter and Svedberg as a back-up, Khudobin being a UFA will probably want to be a starting goalie somewhere else. From what I've seen of Svedberg in Providence, he is fantastic and will make a solid back-up goalie, but I don't see (or ever want to see) Rask going anywhere else. Honestly I'm really surprised at the amount of people who don't have confidence in Rask, he is one of the best goalies in the NHL and the poor guy can't seem to catch a break. I'm looking at NHL stats right now and he's 3rd in GAA (1.90), 2nd in save % (.928), 4th in wins, and tied for 5th in shutouts. If that's not a goalie who we can be confident with, then show me one who is, and don't say Tim Thomas.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Khudobin, off his play thusfar this season and his prior success with the Wild, will be looking for a starter's job either here or in the KHL. That's why it's refreshing to know that Svedberg is in training to take his spot should that scenario occur.

Subban is either trade bait or a few years away from an NHL appearance, let alone a starter's job.

Zdeno33Lucic*

Everyone makes me laugh, Tuukka rask is one of the best goalies in the league, and hes top 3 in G.A.A and SV%.

Hes in the running for the vezina and is still pretty young!

Rask is the bruins future.

Bruins 54

Nov 20, 2010
Everyone makes me laugh, Tuukka rask is one of the best goalies in the league, and hes top 3 in G.A.A and SV%.

Hes in the running for the vezina and is still pretty young!

Rask is the bruins future.

Exactly, why even start a thread like this when goaltending is the least of our problems, why bring the future into question when it isnt? :shakehead

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Exactly, why even start a thread like this when goaltending is the least of our problems, why bring the future into question when it isnt? :shakehead

I didnt read his thread or post as saying it was a "problem".
I think he was saying where do we put our emphasis with the up and comers.

but thats just my take.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I just watched Claude start Khudobin two games in a row because of Rask's lack of concentration in the Jets game...I've seen Claude go with Thomas over him for a dozen straight games even when Timmy wasn't at his best...I have seen Rask pitch a shut out and not get another start for two weeks.

There is obviously something that Claude is not comfortable with. I have no idea what it could be, but if Chiarelli and Neely feel the same way, maybe two years from now we go with Subban or Svedberg. I *think* Chia inks him long term, but to be honest I thought it would be done by now.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I just watched Claude start Khudobin two games in a row because of Rask's lack of concentration in the Jets game...I've seen Claude go with Thomas over him for a dozen straight games even when Timmy wasn't at his best...I have seen Rask pitch a shut out and not get another start for two weeks.

There is obviously something that Claude is not comfortable with. I have no idea what it could be, but if Chiarelli and Neely feel the same way, maybe two years from now we go with Subban or Svedberg. I *think* Chia inks him long term, but to be honest I thought it would be done by now.

Is that weighing on Rask ? I would still wait and see how this season shakes out before I resign him long term.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Rask signs 5 for $25 million in the summer, Svenberg backs up, Dobby goes too Russia, Subban gets the time he needs to develop properly (see: Schneider, Cory).

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I like both Rask and Khudobin equal, however, with Svedberg on the horizon, I would not be against trading one of them. My preference would be to keep Rask. As far as Subban goes, I want to wait and see how he develops..........unless the right deal comes along.

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin

Or maybe Claude is just stubborn and is mad that Timmy took a sabbatical so he's taking it out on Rask. It's kind of hard to replace the best goalie that this franchise has ever seen, and Rask is doing a pretty damn good job. Yes he makes mistakes from time to time, but no goalie is perfect.

Also, Claude's judgement isn't above reproach. He's been playing the Corpse of Pandolfo for way too long now and he also is too slow and/or incapable of changing things up on the fly.

Rask is not the problem. Only scoring 1-2 goals a game is the problem.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Unless Svedberg is getting 30+ starts, it makes no sense to have him in Boston next year.

2 possibilities here:

1) Rask has a decent rest of the year and a decent enough playoff to make you think he's your #1 goalie and you should invest in him.

In that case, you let Khudo walk, sign a bargain basement back up for 1 year and let Rask and Svedberg each be #1 guys on their respective teams.

2) Rask falters. You either deal his rights, or resign him to a fairly short term/affordable deal and let he and Svedberg battle it out next year. Splitting time 50-30 for whoever wins.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I bet this team rides rask for a while, long while. then moves onto subban.

Svenberg will be the backup next year when dobby leaves to where ever. But I wouldn't be surprised if dobby is traded this season.

NastyNate17

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Sam Houston
I bet this team rides rask for a while, long while. then moves onto subban.

Svenberg will be the backup next year when dobby leaves to where ever. But I wouldn't be surprised if dobby is traded this season.

Subban and Rask would be a sweet tandem assuming MS pans out according to plan.. And eventually hand reigns to Subban but the kids only what 19? He's got a long way to go before he's even nhl ready

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Rask signs 5 for $25 million in the summer, Svenberg backs up, Dobby goes too Russia, Subban gets the time he needs to develop properly (see: Schneider, Cory).

Rask is going to be looking to make Carey Price money.

I'd like to see Dobby back but it won't happen. He will find a job somewhere else whether it be stateside or otherwise.

Svedberg is the real deal from what it looks like. Subban's a long way out.

mibs

Feb 6, 2013

At no point in my OP did I ever mention the goaltending situation was in trouble... I'm pretty sure having 3 NHL calibre is a good thing. I also explained in my OP that there is no immediate need to do anything since Subban is still 3-4 year from even being considered playing in the NHL. I'm all for keeping all goalies until management knows for sure who will be their guy, then trade the others for positional needs.

What I'm asking is with a young starter like Rask, a goalie with big potential in Subban, and now with Svedberg who also looks promising, would the Bruins consider trading a proven asset in Rask for another proven asset meaning they fully believe in Svedberg and Subban, or kep Rask and trade Subban for another top prospect, say like a Saad from Chicago.

Thanks

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
At no point in my OP did I ever mention the goaltending situation was in trouble... I'm pretty sure having 3 NHL calibre is a good thing. I also explained in my OP that there is no immediate need to do anything since Subban is still 3-4 year from even being considered playing in the NHL. I'm all for keeping all goalies until management knows for sure who will be their guy, then trade the others for positional needs.

What I'm asking is with a young starter like Rask, a goalie with big potential in Subban, and now with Svedberg who also looks promising, would the Bruins consider trading a proven asset in Rask for another proven asset meaning they fully believe in Svedberg and Subban, or kep Rask and trade Subban for another top prospect, say like a Saad from Chicago.

Thanks

They won't trade Rask. He's got a contract coming up. If anything I think the' B's are more willing to trade Subban in that hypothetical situation. I'm not sold on him yet and I know the name is selling people. He's still a teenager.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Adjusted for future rises in comparable contracts, he's near the top of the NHL in every statistical category save for shutouts, coming into his prime, and on the open market, someone would pay it.
If they want too offer sheet him at Carey Price money then we will have a decision to make. A 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick as compensation is a way too cushion the blow.

With Luongo and Miller on the market and Backstrom, Howard and Mike Smith UFA no one is going too pony up a mega deal and the picks for Rask.

We have player control. Chiarelli will make a reasonable offer, he always does and then we will see what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad