Boston Bruins Bruins exit 2017 flying and 2018 looks promising

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
December 2017 was the best month the Bruins have had in 4 years

upload_2017-12-31_1-30-33.png

January looks very promising with the big story being 3 games with Poutineville in a week.

upload_2017-12-31_1-32-53.png

February gives us the annual Disney Death March but that is easier than past years.

upload_2017-12-31_1-37-48.png

March will be a test.........and we have no inkling of what Sweeney might do before the deadline on February 26th. That will be the month that we know if the team is simply a playoff team or a possible Cup winner.

upload_2017-12-31_1-43-4.png

April features one last swing into Florida which could be huge :dunno:

upload_2017-12-31_1-45-31.png

It is fair to say that this season looks far more promising than any of us thought possible. IF this team can stay healthy there is a path to the promised land.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
I don't want to spoil the party however out of 10W only WPG and CBJ game were against a strong team. I like how they play as of late, the team starts clicking. There won't be lifeless Sens like this week come playoff time.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
23 games in 43 days to finish the season I think? 10 at home 13 on the road ... when do they rest? Yeah that is going to be brutal.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
23 games in 43 days to finish the season I think? 10 at home 13 on the road ... when do they rest? Yeah that is going to be brutal.

March looks challenging BUT they still should be safe for the playoffs.

It certainly appears that we are on a collision course to meet Toronto in the first round and Leafs Nation will be foaming at the mouth for that matchup.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
They could really create some more room in January as well. I think there’s only one team(NYI) currently in a playoff spot. Couple tough ones with Anaheim and Pittsburgh, and obviously with Montreal, but they could really have another awesome month.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Conroy: Bruce Cassidy, young Bruins appear right on track

A year ago many of us had a hunch that the Bruins were on the right track with their organizational makeover.
Now there is ample, tangible proof of that.
Not only do they appear to have the cornerstone of their defense for the next 15 years in rookie Charlie McAvoy, there are other promising youngsters sprinkled throughout the lineup. Jake DeBrusk is having a similar season at the NHL level as he had in the AHL last season, fighting through some growing pains on the way to becoming a reliable player. Matt Grzelcyk has handled himself well as a heady, puck-moving defenseman. Sean Kuraly leads a fourth line that has created a hard-working identity for itself. Anders Bjork is showing signs of getting his game back after suffering an early season concussion.

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
I don't want to sound too overconfident but Pittsburgh and Montreal don't even make me flinch anymore. Pittsburgh is on the edge of the cliff and the dumpster fire that is the Les Habitants makes me feel all warm and tingly inside. This is Bruins team we all knew they were gonna be, we just had to be patient while they got their bearings straight.

Reactions: Strafer

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I don't want to sound too overconfident but Pittsburgh and Montreal don't even make me flinch anymore. Pittsburgh is on the edge of the cliff and the dumpster fire that is the Les Habitants makes me feel all warm and tingly inside. This is Bruins team we all knew they were gonna be, we just had to be patient while they got their bearings straight.
Bear in mind we have 4 vs Habs. The Habs have pretty much owned us like Washington has. Crush them once then Habs are irrelevant

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
My hope that in the New Year they can crush opponents as often and decidedly as possible. They've established that they're a capable, talented team with wiley vets and young-guns at this point. Hopefully the front office can make whatever moves that they need to make to solidify this team as a contender. There's something missing that I can't see but I'm sure the FO must have a sense of what needs to be done to get them over the Washington "hump" such as acquiring a big center, RW, or LD. Center isn't as big a need as the LD but if DK goes down for any significant time I'm not confident that Spooner can keep up the pace that he's been playing at consistently if called upon. Dobie seems to be the goalie against them but the team overall IMO needs to gear up for a battle that may take place vs. teams like Washington and the Rangers if they're going to get out of the East in the playoffs.

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
Conroy: Bruce Cassidy, young Bruins appear right on track

A year ago many of us had a hunch that the Bruins were on the right track with their organizational makeover.
Now there is ample, tangible proof of that.
Not only do they appear to have the cornerstone of their defense for the next 15 years in rookie Charlie McAvoy, there are other promising youngsters sprinkled throughout the lineup. Jake DeBrusk is having a similar season at the NHL level as he had in the AHL last season, fighting through some growing pains on the way to becoming a reliable player. Matt Grzelcyk has handled himself well as a heady, puck-moving defenseman. Sean Kuraly leads a fourth line that has created a hard-working identity for itself. Anders Bjork is showing signs of getting his game back after suffering an early season concussion.

No mention of Heinen in that article...

Crash Bandicoot

Sobriety isn't for wimps.
Feb 25, 2016
I think they do need to trade for a better 3rd line center. Ryan Nugent Hopkins is my favorite. To have three lines of scoring talent would make the B's a serious cup contender. Bjork need's to be sent down to Providence and find his game again. He is in no way the player we thought he would become, at this point.

My trade for RNH would be Spooner and McQuaid.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
The B's are improving week by week. They will destroy the habs and they will come out on top against the penguins. Tonight's game will show just how strong they are becoming

Reactions: bluetib

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but what I see from that December schedule is that the team won all 7 games that it should have won but only won 3 of the 7 games that it would have to really play well to win.

Rask is playing well now so maybe he would have made a difference in one of those other games too but I am not going to get too excited just yet. It's a great start but they haven't proven that they can play on the same level as the best teams until they start beating NYR, Nashville, Washington, etc.

I expect that to be the next step they take and I expect them to stumble a bit before they get there, but I believe they are on the right path and they will get there soon.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Kept a very strong record with 8-1-2 in January.
The good news is they dominated against a weaker opponents. Solidified the 2nd place with 5pts and 3 games in hand over the 3rd place in Atlantic.
The not so good news is the struggle against a stronger opponents is still there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad