Post-Game Talk: Bruins edge the Blue shirts 2-1

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Not at all.

A young, franchise-centered 7m/year dollar goalie can and should do that.

he's shown that he can have a really good full season, but then broken down in the playoffs.

he's shown that he can have a fantastic long playoff run after a shortened regular season.

what we still haven't seen out of him is a regularly scheduled season coupled with a long playoff run. did I mention the Olympics?

I don't deal in coulda shoulda woulda's, i only deal with what's in front of my face. Give this kid his days off, and make it a strategic routine, not an afterthought or a one off thing.

Oh, and regarding the Olympics: As a Bruins fan I'm rooting for US gold, and a quick exit by Finland and Slovakia.

Last edited:

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
he's shown that he can have a really good full season, but then broken down in the playoffs.

he's shown that he can have a fantastic long playoff run after a shortened regular season.

what we still haven't seen out of him is a regularly scheduled season coupled with a long playoff run. did I mention the Olympics?

I don't deal in coulda shoulda woulda's, i only deal with what's in front of my face. Give this kid his days off, and make it a strategic routine, not an afterthought or a one off thing.

Oh, and regarding the playoffs: As a Bruins fan I'm rooting for US gold, and a quick exit by Finland and Slovakia.

I think a big part of that is looking ahead at the schedule. Up until this week, the Bruins have had a relatively lax schedule. It's really only this week that there's been more than 3 games in a week. That will accelerate and I think at that point we'll start to see him get the rest he needs.

I'd call it an efficient use of his starts early in the season, then being able to sub in Johnson for games down the stretch. Every start he takes in November when he's healthy and reasonably rested in order to hit the 65 I'd like to see from him is one less he'll have to do when it's April and he needs a blow in order to prepare for the playoffs.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
I think a big part of that is looking ahead at the schedule. Up until this week, the Bruins have had a relatively lax schedule. It's really only this week that there's been more than 3 games in a week. That will accelerate and I think at that point we'll start to see him get the rest he needs.

I'd call it an efficient use of his starts early in the season, then being able to sub in Johnson for games down the stretch. Every start he takes in November when he's healthy and reasonably rested in order to hit the 65 I'd like to see from him is one less he'll have to do when it's April and he needs a blow in order to prepare for the playoffs.

ok so we're pretty much in agreement as far as the big picture (although i'd rather see that number closer to 60 than 65), but the monkey wrench this season the Olympics. I guess my main beef with the last couple of games was that game in Carolina. Saw no real reason why Tuuk should have played that game. (and yes, I realize that he thought he let the team down in Ottawa and was looking for redemption)

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Oh, and regarding the playoffs: As a Bruins fan I'm rooting for US gold, and a quick exit by Finland and Slovakia.

Well, call me crazy, but I think Rask is a pretty good judge about how he's feeling, as are the coaches, trainers, etc. As a fan watching from afar, I have no idea.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Well, call me crazy, but I think Rask is a pretty good judge about how he's feeling, as are the coaches, trainers, etc. As a fan watching from afar, I have no idea.

couldn't disagree more. the athlete is the last person you can trust to give a straight answer when asked whether they feel up to playing any particular game. He lobbied for it, and won. The onus is on CJ.

As far as you being crazy: you're not crazy, you're just not paying attention, that's all.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
couldn't disagree more. the athlete is the last person you can trust to give a straight answer when asked whether they feel up to playing any particular game. He lobbied for it, and won. The onus is on CJ.

As far as you being crazy: you're not crazy, you're just not paying attention, that's all.

Of course I'm paying attention.

CJ agreed that he was fine to play, as did the trainers, who monitor the players' health and fitness.

As SOM said, it's November, not April, and the Bruins have been idle for much of the early season. Neither Rask nor Julien are doing this willy-nilly. You can bet Rask is being monitored and the coaching/training staff have a plan regarding players' health and fitness.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I think now through December, I think Rask will get most of the games. The B's schedule starts to become "lax" in January, and I think as the Olympics draw closer, Johnson will get more consistent starts. Let's face it, Rask is going to be the starter for Finland. Lehtonen might be a close second, but at this point, Rask has got it locked. Given that, I don't see Finland taking a very quick exit out.
I think Tuukka will be ok as long as he listens to the coaches, and himself.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
ok so we're pretty much in agreement as far as the big picture (although i'd rather see that number closer to 60 than 65), but the monkey wrench this season the Olympics. I guess my main beef with the last couple of games was that game in Carolina. Saw no real reason why Tuuk should have played that game. (and yes, I realize that he thought he let the team down in Ottawa and was looking for redemption)

Yeah, certainly agree with the big picture. For me, I looked at the situation in a specific week-by-week microcosm.

I admittedly was surprised when I saw him start the CAR game considering the week ahead....but it came with the trade off that you mentioned; I got the feeling he wanted to redeem himself and get right back in the cage. I appreciated that fire and would take that trade off in that situation.

member 96824

Was Savard a pretty good judge of his health in 2010?

Pie is making a good point, AHL or NHL...We've never seen Tuukka shoulder the bulk and now be gassed at the end. Hopefully it was attributed to youth...but I still would like to see him rest

nycbruins*

I liked winning those games, so no, I do not agree. If rask had dealt with anything at all physically this season, I'd see the point. And if he does get some nicks or pulls this season, they do need to rest him a lot & see how Johnson can do with more time & whether they need a better backup. But it's November & he's feeling good. Ride him. He can pull a hammy or something on any save, no matter how much rest he has

nycbruins*

This defense does not need help, besides injury. It's the best group of 7 in the nhl in front of the best goalie in the nhl. They probably will need a little depth & hopefully a rw with a right shot & speed

member 96824

This defense does not need help, besides injury. It's the best group of 7 in the nhl in front of the best goalie in the nhl. They probably will need a little depth & hopefully a rw with a right shot & speed

I think we'll see the best group of 6 tonight...but can't argue with the best goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad