The Athletic - Boston Bruins, coach Bruce Cassidy begin talks on a contract extension

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

The Boston Bruins and Bruce Cassidy have begun discussions on a possible contract extension for the well-regarded coach.

Cassidy, 54, has one year remaining on his current deal, which expires after the 2019-20 season. He guided the Bruins to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final before losing to the St. Louis Blues this year. Overall, he has a 117-52-22 record in 191 regular-season games behind Boston’s bench, and the Bruins have earned a postseason berth in each of his three seasons as their coach.

The Philadelphia Flyers named Alain Vigneault coach and gave him a five-year deal worth $5 million per season. New York Rangers coach David Quinn just completed his first year as an NHL coach, and he earns $2.4 million per season. Even new Buffalo Sabres coach Ralph Krueger, who hasn’t coached in the NHL since 2012-13, is making $3.9 million per season.

Cassidy should land somewhere in the $3 million range.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
In terms of priority/importance to the team?? I say that is Carlo & McAvoy well before Cassidy.

Not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's not like they can't work on them at the same time. Working on an extension with Cassidy isn't holding up any player contract negotiations.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Its great that Cassidy got the b's to play like a modern NHL team. Montreal seems stuck in no mans land with Claude Julien's style of play.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Its great that Cassidy got the b's to play like a modern NHL team. Montreal seems stuck in no mans land with Claude Julien's style of play.

They also have a directionless FO which isn't helping things.

I am actually surprised with how much Claude has been able to milk out of such a weak lineup on paper. And I say that as a, at times, pretty harsh critic of Claude.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I would not be surprised to see a few unpopular opinions somehow criticizing this move, but BC is the guy for the job and has done a fantastic job since day 1 when he became the interim coach upon CJ's departure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad