Claimed off Waivers: Bruins claim Gemel Smith

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He's a one-dimensional energy player. Gives you 2 ish minutes good minutes off rushes every game but not much else. Not a possesion player , not good defensively also doesn't kill penalties .

Think one of our radio guys Bruce LeVine named him the "sugar rush" . He'll get you energy shortterm and thats it .

When he was slotted in he barely played . Mostly ~5 minutes sometimes less.

Good luck in Boston Gemel. Maybe there's a bigger role for him there.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
file this under, let's throw something at the wall & see if it sticks.

don't know much about Gemel, looks like another bottom 6 left-hander, which we have too many of already. he turns out okay in NHL 19 though

Reactions: Taylorst
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
His energy is fun to watch, but his lack of offensive ability ends up leaving you frustrated since you ultimately know that nothing will come of his hard work. I expect Smith's time in Boston to near-perfectly mirror Elie's time in Buffalo thus far.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Someone have a scouting report on him? Haven't watched him much at all

He's had some highlight reel goals in his short career but he really isn't anything more than a 4th liner that can score sometimes. Most of the time you won't notice him out there except for that hes very fast.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He's had some highlight reel goals in his short career but he really isn't anything more than a 4th liner that can score sometimes. Most of the time you won't notice him out there except for that hes very fast.
Thanks for the response, sounds like I guy I would start over a couple of the current Bruins bottom 6.

Reactions: FanSince72

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Second time Dallas has had to do that this season, too. They kept Smith over Remi Elie back in October, yet they ended up losing both anyways.

I wonder who they'll lose on waivers next.

Would someone pick up Hanley and Fedun when Klingberg and Carrick return ? They're career AHL players but looked alright having to fill in .

Other than that this season nobody . Next year ? Who knows.

JC0720

Jul 5, 2018
He was fun to watch. Battled hard and could move the puck well. But, he was never gonna make it in Dallas.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Second time Dallas has had to do that this season, too. They kept Smith over Remi Elie back in October, yet they ended up losing both anyways.

I wonder who they'll lose on waivers next.

Having seen Elie in Buffalo, you're not missing much. Looks like a waiver type player.

If he played well in Dallas great, but he's nothing more than a plug here.

Reactions: Chainshot

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Both Elie and Smith had been to obvious candidates to be replaced by better younger player from training camp on. Neither has much upside. Elie was one of Hitchcocks favorites but his absolute inability to score wouldn't fly with any coach that likes well offense. Smith is a limited energy player. Ruff liked him but neither Hitch or Montgomery was a fan. Alot of 5-7 minute games when he was even dressed

Maybe Bruce Cassidy likes Gemels game.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Having seen Elie in Buffalo, you're not missing much. Looks like a waiver type player.

If he played well in Dallas great, but he's nothing more than a plug here.

He was nothing in Dallas honestly. It was an obvious choice to cut him

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
He was nothing in Dallas honestly. It was an obvious choice to cut him
Okay, I was wondering if there was something to his game we have not yet seen in Buffalo.

I mean no complaints about his effort, and his skating seems decent, but he has displayed little in skill set or hockey sense to think he'll still be here after Wilson returns...

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Damn, I always thought it’d be cool for the Wings to have him and Givani Smith, even if they were playing for the AHL squad. Missed our chance to have a couple “G. Smiths” raising hell down there. They play a very similar game.

Reactions: FanSince72

Crow

May 19, 2014
Damn, I always thought it’d be cool for the Wings to have him and Givani Smith, even if they were playing for the AHL squad. Missed our chance to have a couple “G. Smiths” raising hell down there. They play a very similar game.
Well maybe the bruins can grab him, and your very strange fantasy can come true.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Looked like the Gemel i remember from Dallas. The good and the bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad