Confirmed with Link: Bruins claim Dogman (Kaspars DaugaviņÅ¡)

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I don't get why he can come here and play a game for the oppostion, but if he becomes property of the Bruins, he can't leave?

The terminology might be throwing you. We hear "visa" and think "travel permit" but the document in this case is more a "work permit." It allows Daugavins to work in this country and travel on behalf of his employer because he's doing a specialized job.

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009
Tecnically he could play for all Bruins games in Canada since he is their property. He needs the visa to play in the U.S.

That's not true. He would still be paid by a team from the US which means he needs a visa to play.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
That's not true. He would still be paid by a team from the US which means he needs a visa to play.
It is true. Visa means granting permission to an alien to ENTER the U. S. He most likely had a visa to play in Canada. That would be transferred to the team owning his rights. U. S. visa means permission to enter and engage in employment in the U. S.

At any rate, I'm sure it will be sorted out tomorrow when the American Consulate at the Embassy in Ottawa is open for business. That is, of course, barring sequestration impacts...:)

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009
It is true. Visa means granting permission to an alien to ENTER the U. S. He most likely had a visa to play in Canada. That would be transferred to the team owning his rights. U. S. visa means permission to enter and engage in employment in the U. S.

At any rate, I'm sure it will be sorted out tomorrow when the American Consulate at the Embassy in Ottawa is open for business. That is, of course, barring sequestration impacts...:)

You need to re-take Politics 101 and Government 101. It's a business visa (work visa), not a travel visa; there's a difference. Your logic is completely flawed. All that matters is who is paying him. You could live in Canada or another country but if the company you worked for is in a different country, say the United States, one would need a visa to successfully gain employment for that company. Until then that company cannot pay or employ him.

I double majored in college and Political Science was my second major. Trust me, I'm correct on this.

Last edited:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

This is completely and totally incorrect. He had a Canadian visa, because his employer was located in Canada, and that's where he was living/working. He now needs to obtain an American visa, as his employer is based here, and he will be living/working here. Work visas do not trasfer between countries.

It has to do with where his employer is based and where he will be spending the majority of his "work" time (US), not where he is playing on any given day.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
You need to re-take Politics 101 and Government 101. It's a business visa (work visa), not a travel visa; there's a difference. Your logic is completely flawed. All that matters is who is paying him. You could live in Canada or another country but if the company you worked for is in a different country, say the United States, one would need a visa to successfully gain employment for that company. Until then that company cannot pay or employ him.

I double majored in college and Political Science was my second major. Trust me, I'm correct on this.
With due deference to your double major, did your classes include one on Immigration Law? I don't mean to prolong the visa discussion but you should check Title 8 USC Sec. 101(a)(15)(H) for definitions of the work visa which specifically sets out "coming" to the U. S. to work.

GE, an American company for example, can hire and pay a Canadian citizen to work in Canada. But,only if he comes to the U. S. to perform services, does he need a work visa to enter and work here.

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009
With due deference to your double major, did your classes include one on Immigration Law? I don't mean to prolong the visa discussion but you should check Title 8 USC Sec. 101(a)(15)(H) for definitions of the work visa which specifically sets out "coming" to the U. S. to work.

GE, an American company for example, can hire and pay a Canadian citizen to work in Canada. But,only if he comes to the U. S. to perform services, does he need a work visa to enter and work here.

You're a lost cause and still 100% incorrect. In your example, that person would need a work visa to work for a company based in the states. Now if that American company has a location in Canada then it is a completely different story as they are technically working for GE Canada.

A work visa doesn't give one access to come to the United States, it simply gives them the ability to work for and be paid by a company in the United States.

A travel visa, which is what you're talking about, gives a person the right to come to the country but does not give them the right to work for an America company.

In this situation, Kaspars Daugavins already has a travel visa. He was employed by a company out of Canada, that company sends their employees to the United States on "business trips" Even when working in the United States, he was still employed by a company in Canada. This company was cutting his check, not a company in the States.

Now that Daugavins has been traded to a team that is based in the United States, he must acquire a work visa in order to successfully gain employment to work in the United States and to be paid by an American company and to pay US taxes.

You've already had two people tell you you're wrong. If that doesn't get it through your thick skull then I can't help your ignorance.

Oh and part of a politics major is taking government classes which include immigration law classes which I took.

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009
Never mind that. Is there another fan base that can turn said 14 page discussion on a 4th liner into a **** measuring contest regarding the intricacies of immigration law? I think not lol.

I didn't realize that Kate08 had male genitalia :sarcasm:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Iginla is expected to play Saturday. How is it that he will be ready to go with his VIsa issues and not the Dog Man?

Iginla's paperwork is all straightened out. Funny how there's no delay for some

Because of NAFTA Canadians and Americans have some agreements regarding visas. It's possible in some instances to get a visa at the point of entry (boarder) for Canadians.

murphdasmurf2

@SieveOfDaNation
Mar 2, 2011
Brentwood, NH
twitter.com
When I hear his name I think of this...

mutt-cutts-van-dumb-dumber.jpg

He'll pot a hatty once he gets in.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Then how has he been playing games in the U.S this whole time? You are so wrong right now.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Kaspars the friendly Ghost will be our savior!

I just for the moment want him to save us from Pandolfo.

He appears to be a Paille lite, so this means he could fill in on the 4th and Pie bump up to the third, or just slot into the 3rd on Pandolfo's spot.

Then I want the Yeti to come and/or Chia to make a trade or two so he can then be the 13th and Pandolfo is shifted further down the depth chart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad