GDT: Bruins Break Up Day

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I think it's OK to point out a bad call or non-call if it truly affected the outcome of the series without question--if that McAvoy non-call was in game 7 then they could grab every microphone for the entire summer. But that call (likely) cost them game 4 and that's it. It didn't lose them the other 3 games.

Personally, I don't like that McAvoy is still complaining about it days later and I hope someone teaches him better. Emotional takes during or right after the game are one thing, but harping on it days later and using it as an excuse for an entire series is not the winning road. The Bruins got beat in this series and it wasn't the fault of the now standard inconsistent officiating. Maybe they got beat because they are banged up or just one or two players away, but they didn't get beat on one call in the middle of a 4 game losing streak. If they are that fragile then it just proves that they aren't quite ready yet in more than one department.

Bergeron has it right (as always). You dig in and overcome. Bergeron is a true leader that leaves it on the ice where it belongs. Leave it to Roenick and the other pundits to point out the poor officiating--as they did.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This may sound stupid, but I am trying as hard as I can to "divorce" sports. I want to be able to still watch, but not have a super emotional attachment. Vikings are setting me up again, Bruins are headed in right direction and the Mets will probably suck until new owners. I hate the way losing makes me feel. I have zero control over it. Now, we need to worry about absolutely incompetent officiating, at levels never before seen, and I say this both ways. Toronto game 5 was the worst officiated game I have ever seen and we were on the good end. I am blessed beyond compare, and the only negative in my life is my reactions to my sports teams....well and fantasy football haha.

I feel exactly where you are coming from Lou. Pretty much the only time I have really negative reactions regularly is to the Bruins. I don't like it. Something to work on over the summer. My wife is psychologist, so I am going to get some advice over the summer (not therapy, that would be unethical). I am going to keep following the Bruins but I need to not have my blood pressure getting jacked up over a game :laugh:

Reactions: BMC

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
They were up a goal with 7 minutes left when the refs handed TB a goal on a play that should have been a penalty on them.

They absolutely deserved that win.

Respectfully disagree. They absolutely deserved to win game 4 too after playing a very good second and third period in that game. That none call on McAvoy was surely the back bracker. Something that sucks the morale out of your head. Love that he called the refs out. He is my favourite player but I don't like Bergys reaction on the topic. Never expected him to blame the series loss on them because Tampa was the better team but at least send a message that refs could have been better. Otherwise you can not expect them to get their **** together in the future if they aren't held responsible.

Not sure how you guys missed it, but he finished his post with "end of story". Rebuttals aren't welcome here.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
i think cassidy and sweeney have their end of season presser today. should be interesting. butch is always
pretty honest about things, so should be able to glean some info about next year.

They will be asked about Marchand incident. This is the kind of consenquence Marchand overlooked.

On May 16 , Cam and management may be asked again

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
i think cassidy and sweeney have their end of season presser today. should be interesting. butch is always
pretty honest about things, so should be able to glean some info about next year.

Do you know what time it will be on?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I feel exactly where you are coming from Lou. Pretty much the only time I have really negative reactions regularly is to the Bruins. I don't like it. Something to work on over the summer. My wife is psychologist, so I am going to get some advice over the summer (not therapy, that would be unethical). I am going to keep following the Bruins but I need to not have my blood pressure getting jacked up over a game :laugh:

Dude please share what she says here.

Mine just calls me a baby and tells me to grow up. She does say I'm sorry though when she sees they lose, until I carry on lol.

Reactions: sooshii and Dr Hook

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

never seen this.
Very Cool.

In regards to the refs, and calls, you can play what if's all over the place.
Refs call penalty shot on Marchy and he buries it. B's get a lift, Tampa gets down. B's win in OT and
go home up 2-0. B's riding the high and win the series.

Cassidy alluded to the fact that the players were affected by the calls by the refs, so it affected their play,
and had an impact on the outcome of the series.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This may sound stupid, but I am trying as hard as I can to "divorce" sports. I want to be able to still watch, but not have a super emotional attachment. Vikings are setting me up again, Bruins are headed in right direction and the Mets will probably suck until new owners. I hate the way losing makes me feel. I have zero control over it. Now, we need to worry about absolutely incompetent officiating, at levels never before seen, and I say this both ways. Toronto game 5 was the worst officiated game I have ever seen and we were on the good end. I am blessed beyond compare, and the only negative in my life is my reactions to my sports teams....well and fantasy football haha.

This is where I’m at.

It’s a good feeling.

Reactions: Tmac37 and Dr Hook

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA

You're more enlightened than me , my friend. After watching fans for a while now (myself include), I will do everything I can to keep my sons from becoming fans of specific teams. If they want to really learn about sports and understand the game and be a fan of that.. fine. I'm that way with college football, I can turn on a game I have no skin in and enjoy watching it develop. Then when it's over I turn it off and have no emotional attachment.
But fans of a specific jersey are just crazy, me included. And it hardly ever has a distinctive positive effect on anything.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
And it hardly ever has a distinctive positive effect on anything.

Amen to that. I do love to follow the Bruins and I enjoy it more because I am invested, but the sad fact in sports is that your team will lose, and only one team can be champs and it probably won't be yours, and that is where the problem lies. In the grand scheme of my life, whether the Boston Bruins win a single game, or a playoff series or even a Stanley Cup, is meaningless. If only I could migrate that head knowledge to the heart . . .

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Amen to that. I do love to follow the Bruins and I enjoy it more because I am invested, but the sad fact in sports is that your team will lose, and only one team can be champs and it probably won't be yours, and that is where the problem lies. In the grand scheme of my life, whether the Boston Bruins win a single game, or a playoff series or even a Stanley Cup, is meaningless. If only I could migrate that head knowledge to the heart . . .

As we know, fan is short for fanatic.

I love the B's and live & die with them. But, it is a game. If they're clearly playing poorly, I'm not watching a losing 5-2 game. I'll circle back. My blood pressure doesn't need it.

On the other hand, if they're trying, if they're working, I stick around.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
As we know, fan is short for fanatic.

I love the B's and live & die with them. But, it is a game. If they're clearly playing poorly, I'm not watching a losing 5-2 game. I'll circle back. My blood pressure doesn't need it.

On the other hand, if they're trying, if they're working, I stick around.

You know, this season is the first in a long time where I actually fast forwarded through when they were playing poorly (I DVR most games because of work schedule and/or time differences). It's a small step, but yeah I think you are right, the blood pressure doesn't need it :laugh:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
never seen this.
Very Cool.

In regards to the refs, and calls, you can play what if's all over the place.
Refs call penalty shot on Marchy and he buries it. B's get a lift, Tampa gets down. B's win in OT and
go home up 2-0. B's riding the high and win the series.

Cassidy alluded to the fact that the players were affected by the calls by the refs, so it affected their play,
and had an impact on the outcome of the series.

I have no trouble believing this . How could it not?

It was just to one sided , even with the Leafs, and sadly got amped up exponentially with Tampa. I'm not sure the Bruins would have beat Tampa but 4-1 would never have happened without a heavy influence from refs. That is hill I would die on.

Like others have mentioned here, it used to be that I literally would lose sleep at night over shit like what happened to the Bruins in these PO'S. Time has thought me to deal with it better. I can't pinpoint exactly when it changed or why, but I guess I have come to expect it so it is easier to deal with what you expect to happen as to what get's you by surprise. The performance of the refs in these PO's was bad enough to get me by surprise but I expected to be taken by surprise , I didn't lose a wink.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad