Post-Game Talk: Bruins @ Avs | 10/10/19

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I feel pretty anxiety last few days, but there is no better medicine to see Avs win and Toronto gets steamrolled on home ice. Great !

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think the thing that I like most about last nights win, was simply the fact that we played poorly and won. Good teams find ways to win when they aren't playing their best. Just like bad teams find ways to lose.

We're going to be a tough team if we show that even on a bad night we can still find a way to win.

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
I think the thing that I like most about last nights win, was simply the fact that we played poorly and won. Good teams find ways to win when they aren't playing their best. Just like bad teams find ways to lose.

We're going to be a tough team if we show that even on a bad night we can still find a way to win.
This.
It’s extremely early, but the Avs have played well in the 3rd all three games. Protecting one goal leads in the final minutes while all of them securing a empty netter.
Boston carried the play by a slight margin most of that game but don’t forgot, they took it to game 7 in the final and most likely the best in the East. Our back end is so dang green. Makar had a noticeably bad game with the exception of a few good passes. It’s a lot to ask for such a young d-core to play with team like Boston. I’d like to think as the season goes on they will adjust and get better.

Jost looked much better last night.

Kadri was fighting the puck all night. Frustrating to watch.

Nuke has been a welcomed addition to the forward group.

Nate is currently playing like Nate-2015. Relax dude. The goals will come.

Girard is an absolute stud! He clearly is our best d-man right now and it’s not even close. He made some great defensive plays and was calm every second of it. Once his offensive presence starts climbing he will be a steal at that contract.

I’d keep the same lines as last night moving forward. Move Jost to the wing when Compher comes back.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
This.
It’s extremely early, but the Avs have played well in the 3rd all three games. Protecting one goal leads in the final minutes while all of them securing a empty netter.
Boston carried the play by a slight margin most of that game but don’t forgot, they took it to game 7 in the final and most likely the best in the East. Our back end is so dang green. Makar had a noticeably bad game with the exception of a few good passes. It’s a lot to ask for such a young d-core to play with team like Boston. I’d like to think as the season goes on they will adjust and get better.

Jost looked much better last night.

Kadri was fighting the puck all night. Frustrating to watch.

Nuke has been a welcomed addition to the forward group.

Nate is currently playing like Nate-2015. Relax dude. The goals will come.

Girard is an absolute stud! He clearly is our best d-man right now and it’s not even close. He made some great defensive plays and was calm every second of it. Once his offensive presence starts climbing he will be a steal at that contract.

I’d keep the same lines as last night moving forward. Move Jost to the wing when Compher comes back.

This is basically what I woke up feeling this morning. Once Makar and MacK start playing to their capabilities and we stop throwing passes into skate blades instead of stick blades we will be very difficult to play. Boston are a great team and despite all the sloppiness last night it was a great hockey game. The future is bright.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Girard has been absolutely filthy in the first 3 games ! He's the player that has impressed me most on the whole team so far. It's pretty much impossible for him to mess up when exiting the defensive zone with the puck. When I see him pick the puck up in the defensive zone my heart rate systematically goes down because I know it's pretty much guaranteed there won't be a turn over.

He really is something special. I've been watching hockey for a long time and I really haven't ever seen any other defenseman quite like him. To think we've locked him up for 7 more years after the end of this one is really amazing !!

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Girard has been absolutely filthy in the first 3 games ! He's the player that has impressed me most on the whole team so far. It's pretty much impossible for him to mess up when exiting the defensive zone with the puck. When I see him pick the puck up in the defensive zone my heart rate systematically goes down because I know it's pretty much guaranteed there won't be a turn over.

He really is something special. I've been watching hockey for a long time and I really haven't ever seen any other defenseman quite like him. To think we've locked him up for 7 more years after the end of this one is really amazing !!
I agree. Avs best player so far IMO.

Reactions: missionAvs

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
20192020-20056-xgdiff-5v5.png

Reactions: Pokecheque

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
When Landeskog has the best hands on the top line you know they're going to be fighting the puck most of the night. With that said I thought Landy had a very good offensive start to the game, ultimately generating chances and creating MacKinnon's goal.

I thought that Jost had arguably his best game and really enjoyed what the third line brought all game long. I think a Wilson-Jost-Compher line has good potential to be a great third line for us.

I loved Burakovsky tonight, he laid a big hit, made several slick stick checks and pushed the play quite well. Having not watched any of the preseason I was expecting significantly worse than what he has shown so far. He might not be the most physical, but his big hit was nice to see that he has it in him. In my opinion he's looked increasingly good in each game and with the translated interview from 21 in the GDT I fell Bura believes he can breakout with this team;. To build off of this point I think Kadri and Donskoi will be the perfect linemates for him. They'll do the dirty grinding work and generate space and Bura will be able to highlight some of his skill while also hopefully having some of the tenacity of his linemates be contagious for him.

Gru was impressive again, funny how when a goalie gets peppered how they get in the zone. He's caught a lot of bad breaks on redirects and defensive breakdowns in the first two games which has maybe made his stat line look worse than what his play has shown. I love the fact that he didn't allow that to rattle him and cannot wait for whats to come.

Makar seems to be gaining a bit of his confidence/swagger back. I'm not saying last night was his best showing, but I thought his nerves looked a bit more calm last night than the previous to games. He is still bobbling the puck at in opportune times (happened a bit in playoffs last year too), but considering some of the skill and physicality he's played against so far I think Makar is going through the necessary growing pains to help make him a stud moving forward. For example he made a spectacular back door pass in the third where he got a clear lane to shoot, but recognized the player on the back door and was able to do a slap-pass onto the players (Donskoi?) stick and the shot went just wide. Give his teammates a bit more time to get ready for that and his continued development and I think we'll see a lot more goals that way, whether that's because players are trying to take his shot away and opening the backdoor pass or taking the pass away and letting Makar walk in and wire it home.

Johnson looked a bit more like the top pairing dman last night although I have to admit I don't necessarily have the best eye for defensive play. I thought the Condor took off a few times last night and I think that'll be important for his confidence in being able to get back to where he was before. He's our steady veteran presence who provides a bit of everything and allows for us to fall back on him if one of our young guns falters in a game.

All in all, the game wasn't pretty, but we were able to sneak out the W and have a three game win streaking while playing two of the top three teams from last year.

Reactions: Makar27

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

Yep he's a beauty

Reactions: flyfysher

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
Calvert has consistently been one of the best out there imo. Killing penalties as great as usual, forcing turnovers, and his normal hard work is getting results now that he has actual NHL players on his line. The 4th line is honestly my favorite line to watch right now.

Reactions: flyfysher

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Calvert has consistently been one of the best out there imo. Killing penalties as great as usual, forcing turnovers, and his normal hard work is getting results now that he has actual NHL players on his line. The 4th line is honestly my favorite line to watch right now.
Not that you're wrong about him being a consistently good player for the Avs, but his linemates are Bellemare and Nuke. Last year they were Soda and Nieto. I wouldn't say it's because he "has actual NHL players on his line," it's just that the players on his line this year seem to work with him better than those who he played with last year - and remember, we're still only three games in so tough to say whether that production will be sustained.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jost looked much better because he was playing his natural position. Leave him there, put JTC on the wing, and let each take strong side faceoffs.

Wouldn't it be nice if that's how things actually played out? Seems a lot healthier than continuing to bump Jost down to a position he can thrive in until he does well enough for the team to decide that he's "now ready" to be put back in a position he just isn't cut out for.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just hope, certain people here begin to realize how special this team really is. Great game once again. And I am so glad every game Grubi makes me eat crow for the things I said last year. He's good.

:crossfing:crossfing:crossfing

FWIW that's come a long way over the past 15 months. Feels like a lot more folks on here now realize just how close we are to contention.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
:crossfing:crossfing:crossfing

FWIW that's come a long way over the past 15 months. Feels like a lot more folks on here now realize just how close we are to contention.

I fully expect the Avs D to look kind of unsettled with the new personnel. It would be best to wait a while to see how they do. I think it will tighten up a lot by mid-season.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
One of my biggest concerns for contending, the goaltending, Grubby is quickly making me feel a lot better about.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Barberio was surprisingly involved in the offense last night, but his shot is a total muffin. It's the most muffin-y shot on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad