Pre-Game Talk: Bruins at Sens 10/23/18 7:30

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ah ok, thanks. Still, lower minutes could hurt his next arbitration award, who knows if that is something that they now will have the ability to manipulate for the betterment of the team. Nice to see the young guys make life difficult for the vest to possibly stay in the lineup.
I don't think arbitration will be thought of this year. It will either be sign him to a long term deal prior to arbitration. if he is in their long-term plans, , or trade him. Going to arbitration for a 1-year deal means he will be leaving as a UFA.

I know we just did the same thing with Stone, but I don't think that is something that will happen very often/ever again.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Legit this is minor, but why is Paul Carey getting games and Nick Paul barely gets a sniff? What has Carey done that says "yes good NHLer, more of that please"

Carey is a temporary player until prospects are ready, Paul is no longer a top prospect.

There is no excuse. This season is "supposed" to be about giving the youth an opportunity and seeing where they stand. I would much prefer giving the much younger Nick Paul a shot over a 30 year old Paul Carey. This is definitely minor, but still concerning.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Balcers should be given a look until Thachuk is back. I think he will do good playing on Stone's line, with his shoot first and drive for the net mentality.

Batherson needs to be given a few games, as well, later on in this season. He can bring a lot of speed and skill.
Why would we bring up any of these guys when we have Nick Paul and Paul Carey?

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
There is no excuse. This season is "supposed" to be about giving the youth an opportunity and seeing where they stand. I would much prefer giving the much younger Nick Paul a shot over a 30 year old Paul Carey. This is definitely minor, but still concerning.

Those are Melnyk BS that PD is spewing wrt liquidation of the team's assets. The cheaper player plays, but in this case it's a Boucher call to bench Paul over Carey.

Last edited:

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Ceci, please do not destroy Lajoie.

Lajoie, keep playing like a veteran top-4 defenceman please despite being anchored with Captain Dumpster Hockey.
Exactly my concern. I don't want our young prodigy to be mentored by a mediocre joker

Reactions: Alex1234

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hard to imagine he outlasted Methot, Phaneuf and even EK. Makes me like him even less.

I feel like management is still trying to validate that he is as good as he was hyped to be.

It's all about dollars in Ottawa (so age = cost controlled). Switch Methot and Ceci age/dollars and Marc would still be here. That being said, other teams mostly do the same and keep the younger/cheaper player. Methot is declining as we speak, could be out of the league soon.

Should I be worried about the Lajoie Ceci pairing?

They only played one game together I believe and it was the best pairing by a good margin.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Or maybe its that no one wants ceci, dunno if anyone would take him even if we put him on waivers...

He showed alot of potential in the 1st year but regressed massively ever since. I dont buy the, "we put him in a defensive roll which ruined him" excuse.

Explain this. I mean, do you think a lot of D-men would look good defending at ES or PK against the best players in the world, for like 23 mins a night? Very few D-men, if any, "drive the play" when being used as shutdown. Not only Ceci is not a shutdown D-man, he is the most used shutdown D-man in the whole league.

It's not an excuse, it's a reason.

Can Ceci be given the Shattenkirk treatment? Maybe. Is he not a UFA as well this summer? It could be a "gloves are off" scenario between management and Ceci that could be manipulated into a favourable long term deal.

It cannot be lost on him or management that they have won without him in the lineup. Could be the type of pressure he needs to play better. he has been very, very comfortable in the lineup and maybe there is actually real pressure to stay in the lineup.

Sens without Karlsson but with Ceci to start the 2017-18 season : 3-0-2 (shootouts), outscoring the opposition 19-8. Hockey is anything but an individual sport.

I'm far more worried about Boro and Wideman

This, they're by far the biggest weakness on the team. Boucher has to shelter them as much as possible. I'm kinda ok if Boro plays 13-14 mins and Wideman 10-12, but sheltered minutes.

Ceci, please do not destroy Lajoie.

Lajoie, keep playing like a veteran top-4 defenceman please despite being anchored with Captain Dumpster Hockey.

Small sample size but Ceci has better underlying stats.

Reactions: aragorn

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Lajoie and Ceci looked good as a pairing way back when in game 2 against the leafs. It’s a shame that the rookie is the one covering the veteran’s ass in this case.

Reactions: Alex1234

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Will be Phaneuf or
deployment or Turris salamander’s fault before Ceci’s anyway

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's all about dollars in Ottawa (so age = cost controlled). Switch Methot and Ceci age/dollars and Marc would still be here. That being said, other teams mostly do the same and keep the younger/cheaper player. Methot is declining as we speak, could be out of the league soon.

They only played one game together I believe and it was the best pairing by a good margin.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Explain this. I mean, do you think a lot of D-men would look good defending at ES or PK against the best players in the world, for like 23 mins a night? Very few D-men, if any, "drive the play" when being used as shutdown. Not only Ceci is not a shutdown D-man, he is the most used shutdown D-man in the whole league.

It's not an excuse, it's a reason.

Sens without Karlsson but with Ceci to start the 2017-18 season : 3-0-2 (shootouts), outscoring the opposition 19-8. Hockey is anything but an individual sport.

This, they're by far the biggest weakness on the team. Boucher has to shelter them as much as possible. I'm kinda ok if Boro plays 13-14 mins and Wideman 10-12, but sheltered minutes.

Small sample size but Ceci has better underlying stats.

The biggest weakness on the team last yr was goaltending & while Anderson has been much better this yr, Condon still sucks & who knows what they will get out of Anderson for the rest of the season or next yr. Wideman as a UFA this yr should be moved leading up to the deadline, if not sooner. The way Boro plays it's just a matter of time before he gets injured & at his age I assume next season he should probably be a 7th D. I assume this yr that Pyatt, Paajarvi, Carey & Wideman should be moved by the deadline & after next yr Anderson, Condon, Boroweicki & maybe DeMello could all be gone too & replaced by younger better players.

Getting a #1 goalie will be difficult though, I still like Schneider in NJ & with a new GM he may be talked into a deal If Duchene for example will not re-sign or they cannot afford to re-sign him than a deal for a #1 goalie would make a lot of sense & give Gustavsson a few more yrs to develop.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Better than Lajoie... lol

Ceci played 4 games, 1 with lajoie
Lajoie played 7 games, 1 with Ceci

Don't worry I'm not advocating Ceci > Lajoie... just putting the facts out there.

Fact is numbers don't play hockey, hockey players create numbers from plays. Ceci plain sucks in hockey when we watch him play.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll be at this one.

I'll say that my gut isn't too optimistic about this match-up with the Bruins.

They have lost 3 in a row on that Western road swing while we're coming off two emotional victories against archrivals on Saturday HNICs.

Not to mention, whoever is matched up with the line of death is going to have their work cut out for them.

I have this feeling that our D is going to be exposed again. Anderson will have to be huge.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Tkachuk, Forementon, LaJoie, Chabot and White were all regulars. That's a good commitment to youth.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Little worried about bringing back Formenton against Boston. Hope he's 101% ready.

And what is with this stupid schedule? Seems like we're waiting forever for the next games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad