News Article: Bruins Assistant GM Jim Benning under consideration for Sabres GM position

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
He owes Boston to trade something substantial for his nephew although the kid has developed nicely since being drafted from what I understand.

Bruins40

Jan 3, 2013
Boston
Please No.

Benning should be head GM for the b's, charelli dosen't know crap. Benning helps charelli dial the phone.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
For those in the know, who takes his spot if he gets hired? Has he been good for this team?

mtchbx

Mar 10, 2010
Is Benning responsible for Caron, Colborne, Hamill, Subban ? I Hope the sabres Pick him if it Is the case.

Maybe a bit quick on the Subban, but the others should have caused someone to be worrying about the unemployment extension.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Picking a goaltender in the 1st round is always a waste of a pick.

always seems like a pretty strong word. Here is a list of some goalies drafted in the first round that I wouldn't say were wasted picks.

Grant Fuhr
Tom Barrasso
Olaf Kolzig
Martin Brodeur
Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Roberto Luongo
Cam Ward
Marc-Andre Fleury
Cory Schneider
Carey Price
Tuukka Rask

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Bingo! Couple of HOFers on that list. As far as Subban is concerned, the Bruins pick was at the bottom of the round. Even if Rask is the goaltender of the present and future, Subban is a trading chip. And the way he's been playing of late, a damn good one at that.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Wayne Smith was the scouting director who took the bullet for Hamill, Caron, Colborne etc., not Benning.

I think Benning was one of the main pro hockey talent evaluators, probably had a lot to do with the pro players who the B's have brought in via deals (Reilly Smith, Seidenberg, Campbell, Horton etc.)

member 96824

Honestly, the Sabres spot would be a blast to be in the new few years as a GM. They have like half of the league's firsts and seconds.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Don Sweeney (also an AGM) would probably just assume more duties.

That would be my guess as well from 4000 miles away... probably not a bad choice if they backfill the scouting role with a top notch guy.

Met Sweeney back in the day when his 2nd uncle / cousin / etc (they are irish after all ;-) ) owned the Wharf down on Falmouth Heights. Nice guy and a full toolbox. Mr. Sweeney (not Don, the owner of the Wharf) was a legit good guy (if a bit of a hardass) as well. Guess it runs in the family!

Dumbass family sold the restaurant / bar out for Condos.... that place was the goose that laid the golden eggs but they wanted a full dozen in one shot. Stoooooopppiiiiiiddssss.....

Btw, was randomly looking at the 07 draft and man oh man, I hope the Habs gave their guy a big bonus for the haul they made that year. Would be nice to see some of that action on the B's!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad