News Article: Bruins Assistant GM Jim Benning under consideration for Sabres GM position

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good for Benning if he gets it.

Im glad Ted Nolan is back behind a bench and I like Lafontaine good to see him involved in that capacity. I don't think hes the type to want to send out assclowns like Scott. Glad Darcy Reger and Ron Rolston got axed both are lowlifes.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
On today's TSN That's Hockey show Bob McKenzie said that Benning is a strong contender for the job.

It's Dudley's job to lose. Has an out clause in Montreal as well.

McKenzie also said that Buffalo is looking for a younger guy with at least some Assistant GM experience which might eliminate Dudley from the search.

EDIT - I found McKenzie's column from TSN's site.

Add another name to the list of potential general managers for the Buffalo Sabres.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, the Sabres have received permission to speak to Boston Bruins assistant general manager Jim Benning about their vacant GM position.

Buffalo created a stir last Wednesday by firing general manager Darcy Regier and head coach Ron Rolston. They subsequently hired Pat LaFontaine as their new president of hockey operations and also named Ted Nolan as interim head coach - his second time as bench boss of the team.

Earlier in the week Pittsburgh Penguins assistant general manager Jason Botterill was also reportedly given permission to interview for the Sabres job.

According to McKenzie, others believed to be in the running for the position in Buffalo include Toronto Maple Leafs assistant general manager Claude Loiselle and Montreal Canadiens assistant general manager Rick Dudley.

The Sabres have posted a 1-1 record since firing Regier and Rolston, splitting a home-and-home with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Their 5-16-1 record puts them last in the NHL heading into Tuesday night's games.

Last edited:

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
Please don't go.

While I'd be happy for him, I don't want to see Chia lose a right-hand man

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Wow. Buffalo fired their GM and coach? How did I miss that? Milbury got his wish :laugh:

That organization is in shambles.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
My gut tells me that Benning gets this job, and ,if so, it's a big loss for the Bruins. Will never forget the face palm he did in the meeting when they found out they lost Horton.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My gut tells me that Benning gets this job, and ,if so, it's a big loss for the Bruins. Will never forget the face palm he did in the meeting when they found out they lost Horton.

I`m sure Benning likes a challenge but whoa...........that`s a biggie

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I have a feeling that he is going to get it to and that it will be a big loss for the Bruins on the pro scouting side of things and wherever else.

The Sabres GM job may not be too bad as they have an owner that seems willing to spend, though he may now be gun shy since the previous gm ridiculously overspent on average to decent FA talent since the purse strings loosened. They still have to emphasize drafting and development, the top guys aren't going to sign in Buffalo.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Worth compensation

Once or twice there was a time when we would have recieved compensation in form of a draft pick and/or a prospect for a guy like Jim Benning. The team giving up an asset like a coach or manager who was signed by another team in the league.
Can't remember when it was, but, I've followed NHL from 1970 so it's many years and I may be wrong, but I'm quite sure it has happened.
Anybody???

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Buffalo has a good owner who just needs to put the right people in place to run the team. I think he is still learning how to change from fan to owner.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Buffalo has a good owner who just needs to put the right people in place to run the team. I think he is still learning how to change from fan to owner.

Best thing they can do right now, is take their time. If this season plays out, so be it.

Make DAMN sure that you get the right people in there. You blow it after this debacle, I'm not sure there is a coming back for that franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad