Boston Bruins Bruins Assign Peter Cehlarik & Karson Kuhlman To Providence

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
there's no limit but I believe you're only allowed a certain number of non-injury call ups between now and the playoffs. I recall someone (Dom?) posting that and that the number was 4

That could very well be the case. I won't pretend I'm as well versed in the roster rules as Dom is and if he said it, it's probably right

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Feel bad for Coyle stuck with 2 black holes in Nordstrom and Backes. Prefer both Kuhlman and Cehlarik over both of them.
Well the good news is that the playoffs don't start tomorrow. There's still time for some inter roster tweaking if needed. Let's give 'em a few games with their new lines before calling for their heads to roll and bodies be sent elsewhere tho, eh?

Reactions: TCB

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
there's no limit but I believe you're only allowed a certain number of non-injury call ups between now and the playoffs. I recall someone (Dom?) posting that and that the number was 4

I believe you are right. I'd still use one of the call ups right away on Cehlarik. Keep him with the big squad as long as possible.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
So there is a 23 man roster limit up until midnight on the trade deadline. After that there is no limit as long as the team is cap compliant

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Should have traded Cehlarik for anything he could have gotten. He will not resign with Boston, and probably won't get called back up.
completely agree.. i was kind of hoping sweeney was going to surprise us with a "future" trade.. meaning cehlarik and some LD depth for puljarvi or milano. someone who still had some hope for a reclamation project .. maybe he'll get a late round pick for peter's rights

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I hear you...but he was brought in to play 3/4 line / checking / pk not for his goal scoring. He brings speed / pace ... which will help against teams like Toronto.

I love the energy and puck pursuit he brings...
He's actually been a lot better than I thought he would be. I agree with you.

Bigger issue though, is that we have Backes, Acciari, Kuraly, Nordstrom and Wagner (and we HAD Cave, still have Kuhlman, added Stempniak, etc) that Cassidy appears to want in the lineup every single game. It's not Nordstrom... It's this bottom-heavy roster.

Top nine should be Bergy, Krejci, Marchand, Pasta, DeBrusk, Heinen, Coyle, Johansson, Cehlarik. That's nine guys for the top nine. Seven for the bottom three. Which means guys like Backes and Nordstrom will likely end up in roles they don't or no longer fit.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada

Bigger issue though, is that we have Backes, Acciari, Kuraly, Nordstrom and Wagner (and we HAD Cave, still have Kuhlman, added Stempniak, etc) that Cassidy appears to want in the lineup every single game. It's not Nordstrom... It's this bottom-heavy roster.

Top nine should be Bergy, Krejci, Marchand, Pasta, DeBrusk, Heinen, Coyle, Johansson, Cehlarik. That's nine guys for the top nine. Seven for the bottom three. Which means guys like Backes and Nordstrom will likely end up in roles they don't or no longer fit.
Then, they should sit them.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

shouldn't be hard to find seats that fit them

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Paper or not.. Nordstrom and Backes being in this lineup is infuriating me.

I don't mind Nords being in, but he'd be on the 4th line in over Noel for me. I don't anticipate Backes seeing much ice once everyones healthy. He shouldn't. Lets give it a few games and see what happens.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I hear you...but he was brought in to play 3/4 line / checking / pk not for his goal scoring. He brings speed / pace ... which will help against teams like Toronto.

I love the energy and puck pursuit he brings...

I love it when folks use excuses like "it's not his role" to justify an NHL forward with no actual NHL production.

He's basically averaged 1 point per month since mid-November.

He's a 4th line player. Period.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

This post touched my soul.

They are all good for their roles for the most part, but there are too many. Nordstrom would be fine in the lineup, if we didn't already have a lineup full of the players you listed.

In an ideal world, Backes was never signed, or signed to a shorter deal. He fills no needs on this team. 6 million is way too much to pay for leadership. I am sure hes a great guy, great locker room presence. But 6 million needs to be an effective player in your top 6. Unless you are Tampa and have home grown talent oozing out of your pores on cheap contracts. And with the 4th line playing so well, I don't want to make any adjustments there.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I love it when folks use excuses like "it's not his role" to justify an NHL forward with no actual NHL production.

He's basically averaged 1 point per month since mid-November.

He's a 4th line player. Period.

He's actually a depth player on this Bruins team. He kills penalties fine, but he brings nothing more to the table, where he's proven he's worth putting in the starting line-up for the Bruins, when everyone is healthy.

I Just don't see how Cassidy can justify him, playing in the top 12. He's dump and chase even on an odd man rush at times.:shakehead

I know Kuhlman has only been up for a little bit, but his speed and energy along with his Hockey sense, I really like. He's a player who makes your third or fourth lines better.

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Debrusk Krejci MoJo
Heinen Coyle Kuhlman/Cehlarik
kuraly Acciari Wagner

Backes/Nordstrom

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He's actually a depth player on this Bruins team. He kills penalties fine, but he brings nothing more to the table, where he's proven he's worth putting in the starting line-up for the Bruins, when everyone is healthy.

I Just don't see how Cassidy can justify him, playing in the top 12. He's dump and chase even on an odd man rush at times.:shakehead

I know Kuhlman has only been up for a little bit, but his speed and energy along with his Hockey sense, I really like. He's a player who makes your third or fourth lines better.

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Debrusk Krejci MoJo
Heinen Coyle Kuhlman/Cehlarik
kuraly Acciari Wagner

Backes/Nordstrom

Totally agree, when healthy it should come down to Kuhlman or Cehlarik. I was impressed from the little bit I saw of Kuhlman.

And if they wanted to move Coyle to RW but leave Johansson on the wing, then I'd use JFK.

Backes and Nordstrom should be in suits when this team is fully healthy.

Reactions: TCB

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Not sure I understand the Nordstrom hate...he plays his role perfectly.

Because Cehlarik and now Kuhlman both do everything Nordstrom does while actually scoring points.

5-2-7, -6 in 50 games for Nordstrom

4-2-6, +1 in 10 games for Cehlarik

1-1-2, +2 in 4 games for Kuhlman

Kuhlman v Nordstrom, sure that's a valid debate. But Cehlarik is well above him

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Because Cehlarik and now Kuhlman both do everything Nordstrom does while actually scoring points.

5-2-7, -6 in 50 games for Nordstrom

4-2-6, +1 in 10 games for Cehlarik

1-1-2, +2 in 4 games for Kuhlman

Kuhlman v Nordstrom, sure that's a valid debate. But Cehlarik is well above him

I love what Cehlarik brings from Offensive standpoint but Cassidy is reluctant using him in key defensive situations...it limits Cassidy.

I think a line of Cehlarik Coyle Heinen (When Pasta returns) could be very dangerous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->