Management Bruins and the continued search for Lucic part 2

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Agree with those saying Looch was one of a kind, at least of his era. Dude in his prime could score and pass (3 seasons with the Bs of over 17% shooting pct). He put a guy through the glass. Absolutely steamrolled people but could back it up if players came after him for it since he was a great fighter. On top of all the agitation and trucking of bodies he did, he tried to play clean and didn't cower when it was time to answer the bell. No spot-picking with Looch, as we see nowadays with the so-called tough guys in the NHL. The combination of scoring ability, heavy hitting, fighting skill, and ferociousness when someone messed with a teammate indeed may not be seen again in the NHL. League has changed quite a bit since Looch was in his heyday with the Bs.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Looch absolutely was one of a kind. Doubt we’ll ever find another guy that plays like and is capable of close to what he was, unlikely the league sees that anytime soon.

There are certainly power forwards in the league, but to consider a prime Looch just a “power forward” is a gross undersell. He’s a big part of the reason why big guys with any semblance of a scoring touch are taken so high in the draft… and why they often bust. I’m glad we got his full prime, and good value for him to get him closer to his family. Miss him dearly but it was right for both sides.

Yeah, I remember the draft magazines from that era I use to read would all have some sort of " the next Lucic " comment about a big kid with a scoring touch after Looch started to make his mark on the NHL.

May 29, 2013
Looch would still be a force in the league if it wasn't for 2 changes.
1. Disappearance of the red line.
2. Penalty calling on every hit along the boards

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
They don't full on need a new Lucic. They just need balance.

Their entire top 6 (outside of an angry Marchand) won't hit. You need to sprinkle physicality throughout the lineup instead of having it all on the 4th line where they match up with other teams 4th lines. You need players who are willing to make life tough on opposing teams top players. They flat out don't have it.

Reality is. There probably won't be another guy like Lucic for a long time, if ever.

My gripe is the fact that people always say "THOSE GUYS ARE HARD TO COME BY AND WILL COST A FORTUNE" - Sometimes you have to pay for it. You can't expect to rob the bank all the time. If it's a need, I have no issues tossing in a decent pick or two.

Reactions: AM Bruin

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Its no secret since the team traded Lucic they have been looking for a replacement. First was Beleskey which was horrid, then Backes who became horrible, Brett and Nick Ritchie one had no fire in his belly the other doesnt have much talent and now we are on the putrid Nick Foligno.

At this point what do you think this team should do? Continue the search for a PF in trades or FA? Try to draft and develop one? Just give up on the whole thing? I mean do we trust Sweeney and Neely to do it? I dont.

i don't think they are 'looking' for a replacement.

I believe in Sweeneys press conference he was asked about the team and team toughness, and baiscly said they were plenty 'tough' enough.

the problem isnt just the lack of a Lucic, but its the lack of him, Mcquaid, Thornton etc etc etc.

its a team thing, not one player.

and i don't mean just fighting, but the physical play, hitting, sticking up for teammates etc etc.

if its not part of the team 'mentality', one guy wont change much.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
The problem isn’t finding a guy like that. The problem is finding a guy like that and not saddling him with guilt about a bad penalty or a missed defensive assignment. If you get a beast, you have to let him roar. So he throws a dirty hit….ok, he’s suspended a few. So he cost you a goal…ok, but guys are nervous and uncomfortable playing us….how many did he save you. So half the fans think he’s a wicked neanderthal that makes nice men cry….ok, well tough shit, the rest of us love him.

You can’t turn these guys into robots. They have to play with an edge, and just like your goal scorers, they need a little longer of a leash.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
The problem isn’t finding a guy like that. The problem is finding a guy like that and not saddling him with guilt about a bad penalty or a missed defensive assignment. If you get a beast, you have to let him roar. So he throws a dirty hit….ok, he’s suspended a few. So he cost you a goal…ok, but guys are nervous and uncomfortable playing us….how many did he save you. So half the fans think he’s a wicked neanderthal that makes nice men cry….ok, well tough shit, the rest of us love him.

You can’t turn these guys into robots. They have to play with an edge, and just like your goal scorers, they need a little longer of a leash.
everybody has their warts, for way to long out here now the vocal majority has screamed at anyone they don't consider 'speedy' or 'skilled'.

if the kid was that skilled or that fast, he wouldn't be on the 4th or 3rd line here.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr and Jim

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Agree with those saying Looch was one of a kind, at least of his era. Dude in his prime could score and pass (3 seasons with the Bs of over 17% shooting pct). He put a guy through the glass. Absolutely steamrolled people but could back it up if players came after him for it since he was a great fighter. On top of all the agitation and trucking of bodies he did, he tried to play clean and didn't cower when it was time to answer the bell. No spot-picking with Looch, as we see nowadays with the so-called tough guys in the NHL. The combination of scoring ability, heavy hitting, fighting skill, and ferociousness when someone messed with a teammate indeed may not be seen again in the NHL. League has changed quite a bit since Looch was in his heyday with the Bs.
I can see why Neely would want to find another Lucic. I agree that it'd be great to get one, but it's so true that the game is so different now. Neely and Looch were VERY similar. I can't even remember who was better for us at this point. I guess Neely, but to have a player like either of them would be a dream come true for us.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
We have swung and missed horribly when going after these players since he left. Backes/Beleskey/Foligno is what you get on the free agent market and even Lucic has bounced around with salary being retained since leaving.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Lucic wasn’t the only physical guy back then. That’s the issue. It takes more that one guy. The team has to play like that. Most of these current guys don’t finish or engage a check. They curl or slow up. That’s a teams style that needs changing.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Lucic wasn’t the only physical guy back then. That’s the issue. It takes more that one guy. The team has to play like that. Most of these current guys don’t finish or engage a check. They curl or slow up. That’s a teams style that needs changing.
That’s a league style that needs changing.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
That’s a league style that needs changing.
Not sure about that. I see plenty of teams that play the physical style. I see players finishing their checks and wish we would do that.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
That's the problem. Lets look for the next Sweeney instead of the next Lucic.
I think you meant to say , not the next Sweeney , but Sweeneys replacement..............was not trying to bust balls but that wording is important

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
A desperate GM might trade for Andersen from Montreal but he is no Lucic.
Yeah, he can skate.

Anderson would be a great pickup. Less snarl than Lucic but he’s big, strong and fast. If he can stay healthy, he would be a good fit but that’s a big if. His contract has a lot of term on it too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad