Bruins and Plimpton on WCVB

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I believe the Bruins got in a brawl when he was between the pipes- wasn't Cherry coach, what a crazy group they had back then

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
It's probably to promote a new documentary of Plimpton:

A new documentary about his life called "Plimpton!," which will be released Friday, is a fond look backward at his remarkable life. Directed by Tom Bean and Luke Poling, the film taps into never-before-seen footage from Plimpton's archives to draw a picture of a man who, despite his insider status, felt like an outsider.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...t-mn-george-plimpton-20130604,0,6724905.story

Plimpton's one of my favorite writers - "Paper Lion" is fantastic, and the sequel, "Mad Ducks and Bears," is laugh-out-loud funny. And of course "Open Net," about his time with the Bruins, is tremendous.

http://www.amazon.com/Open-Net-Prof...=UTF8&qid=1371777210&sr=1-1&keywords=Open+Net

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Plimpton was such a great character. For such a prim and proper looking guy, he really enjoyed mixing it up with people from all walks. For an academic type, he also had a great sense of humor and could laugh at himself.
Oh, and an amazing writer. I've read Paper Lion maybe 4 times (and there's only a handful of books in the world I've read more than once).

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Plimpton was such a great character. For such a prim and proper looking guy, he really enjoyed mixing it up with people from all walks. For an academic type, he also had a great sense of humor and could laugh at himself.
Oh, and an amazing writer. I've read Paper Lion maybe 4 times (and there's only a handful of books in the world I've read more than once).

I read Open Net at least 4 times! :laugh:

He really added character to a bunch of characters!

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
I believe the Bruins got in a brawl when he was between the pipes- wasn't Cherry coach, what a crazy group they had back then

Yes, it was a preseason game against the Flyers. He had done his time in net and was half out of his equipment in the back hall of the arena with a beer in his hand when the brawl broke out. The book is excellent, its a quick read and it gives you an idea of what things were like on the Bruins back then.

Serge

Mar 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Such a great book. I remember first reading it when I was a pre-teen and have revisited it several times since as well.

Me too. Hockey people have great stories to tell but they don't trust just anyone with these stories. Plimpton had the knack of drawing out fascinating and candid material from people and he wrote even handed, true to form versions of them. Very talented writer with an keen eye for irony. RIP George.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad