Friedman: Bruins and Devils interested in Ben Hutton

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I always liked Hutton. He took on some big minutes when injuries ravaged the Canucks D when we were really bad. Not much there offensively - a good 6 or 7 though, I think.

Reactions: lawrence

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Nothing wrong with another guy to ride in the taxi squad, so long as it's $1m or less.

Though I imagine all these leaks to journalists are simply agents bluffing to try and get more money. Translation: No one wants Hutton and he's going to have to sign for $700k for one year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I always liked Hutton. He took on some big minutes when injuries ravaged the Canucks D when we were really bad. Not much there offensively - a good 6 or 7 though, I think.
That's why the Canucks chose to not QO him in 2019. Knew that the arbitration award would be more than what they wanted to pay him.

Likely would have been in line for around $3.5 mill for that 1 year, but he ends up settling for $1.5 million as a UFA and now likely down to a $1 mill deal for 1 year. Heard he passed on a multi-year offer for over $3 mill per in 2019.

Reactions: hellstick

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
This. I don't know how bad Chara even might be. Hal Gill played some games for us near the end. Had his limitations but was probably net useful. And that was Hal Gill. Chara is not there yet. How do you not sign Zdeno Chara right now if you are Boston? If it takes $1M, if it takes $2M. He's Chara. :dunno:
Hutton, while limited, could be a longer term #5 option.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It’s all the back to backs and the condensed schedule. That’s really tough on Chara as we saw in the return to play.

But I don’t think Hutton and Chara are related, TBH. Hutton would be more insurance for if Zboril, Lauzon and Vaakaneinen can’t make the grade and would make low enough of a salary to get dumped to AHL or taxi squad.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Yess would be a fine signing, a guy who throw his body all around, can drop the glove...better option than...Alzner!!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
It’s all the back to backs and the condensed schedule. That’s really tough on Chara as we saw in the return to play.

But I don’t think Hutton and Chara are related, TBH. Hutton would be more insurance for if Zboril, Lauzon and Vaakaneinen can’t make the grade and would make low enough of a salary to get dumped to AHL or taxi squad.
No there not related at all, Hutton is Canadian and Chara from Slovakia I think

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Boston does seem like a good fit for Hutton. I feel like he can still improve.

I wonder how playing with Doughty on a lottery team for him was like lol.

Reactions: BHD

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Ben Hutton would help the Bruins fulfill expansion requirements on a one year deal. As of now, Moore, Clifton, Miller, etc are short the games needed to qualify for the minimum exposure requirements (40 games this year or 70 over last 2).

Them bringing back Chara for one year fulfills them if he plays 2 games. Them bringing in Hutton for a year fulfills them if he plays 5 games. This way the Bruins aren't forced to expose Gryz if injuries leave them without someone with over 40 games under their belt this shortened season.

Unless the RTP agreement changed those numbers.

Still think the Bruins are hoping a better D shakes free in the trade market.

Reactions: BHD

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Ben Hutton would help the Bruins fulfill expansion requirements on a one year deal. As of now, Moore, Clifton, Miller, etc are short the games needed to qualify for the minimum exposure requirements (40 games this year or 70 over last 2).

Them bringing back Chara for one year fulfills them if he plays 2 games. Them bringing in Hutton for a year fulfills them if he plays 5 games. This way the Bruins aren't forced to expose Gryz if injuries leave them without someone with over 40 games under their belt this shortened season.

Unless the RTP agreement changed those numbers.

Still think the Bruins are hoping a better D shakes free in the trade market.
Very interesting take, and likely the reason he's getting signed.

Sweeney loves depth on the blue line, too. I'll never forget the playoffs a few years back where we had so many injuries Tommy Cross was playing. With the taxi squads, definitely doesn't hurt to bring in experience on cheap deals.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe the Bruins have been waiting on Chara moreso than Chara waiting on the Bruins? I mean, the Bruins have the cap space, they have all that history with Chara, there wouldn't otherwise seem to be any obstacle to signing him - it's not like he was a player that ever quite fell out of favor due to being massively "overpaid" at any point, so it's not likely that it could be perceived that he "owes it" to the Bruins to play for them for $700k. Maybe he just wants another NMC and for whatever reason they are reluctant? :dunno:

I just can't imagine wanting Hutton over Chara, even considering all the factors (condensed schedule, age, side, whatever) unless there is just a significant gap somewhere in the contractual terms. :dunno:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
He was a moderately pleasant surprise to the fans in LA last year and I think he probably will be again if he signs in Boston. He is actually a pretty decent third pairing guy, though strictly on the left side. He's been exclusively on really bad Vancouver and LA teams in his pro career so far so there's possibly still a little bit of upside with him. Not a bad signing if he comes in at $1 million or less. He got a severe overpayment on his second contract in Vancouver and that might have messed his head up some.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Hutton is a decent #5. He wouldn’t be a bad signing by any stretch but honestly why not just sign Chara? I don’t get it. Can any Bruins fans fill us in on what’s going on with Chara?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->