Boston Globe Bruins, after queries, won’t collect December season ticket payments

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Early Friday evening, the Bruins sent a message to season ticket holders on monthly payment plans, saying they were canceling the upcoming December installment.

“We realize there is uncertainty regarding whether fans will be allowed to attend all home games, what the return to play will be like for TD Garden and how these changes may impact your 2020-21 Season Tickets and payments, including total cost,” the e-mail read in part.

“While we await further details from the NHL regarding the 2020-21 Season, the Bruins have made the decision to cancel any scheduled payments for our Season Ticket Holders. This means that you will not be charged in December.”

As soon as the 2020-21 schedule is settled, the e-mail read, the club will relay options for season ticket holders regarding refunds, “as well options for Season Ticket Holders to accrue interest on money which they leave in their account,” and any options for fans should games be impacted by local or NHL restrictions that limit attendance due to COVID-19.

In an e-mail response Friday afternoon, Bruins chief revenue officer Glen Thornborough said the team would not be charging for December.

“Payments continued as we hoped to have plans for the season announced,” he wrote, “but we recognize with the uncertainty we cannot continue with the December payment.”

Bob Foote, a 25-year season ticket-holder from Rowley, committed in February to buying 2020 playoff tickets under the “pay as we play” option. To get that installment plan, he had to purchase season tickets for 2020-21 (with a 5 percent hike, following the 2019 run to the Stanley Cup Final).

“They have nothing yet to sell me for the money collected,” Foote wrote in an e-mail to the Globe last week, noting that “a large amount of interest-free money” had been flowing into the Delaware North coffers.

Jaci Donahe of Cambridge, a Loge 19 denizen since 2009, said a lack of transparency from the club during the pause “left a bad taste.” Even fan-exclusive Zoom calls with players and management were communicated on short notice.

“If and when the season does start, we haven’t been given any options about where our money goes and if we will get anything back,” she said. “Seems like a lot of money to have tied up with no promises of a product, or even any real benefits to them keeping our money.”

938420.gif

krog18

Oct 18, 2019
Did not get an email either. Seems like the Globe reached out for comment and they threw together a hastily arranged communication. Public shaming continues to be the only way to get this organization to do the right thing for its most loyal fans. It will catch up with them eventually and this pandemic, the way they’ve responded to it, and the aging core might just be the beginning of some tough times for them...

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Would be very curious of what the other franchises in Boston are doing, like the Red Sox for example.

Looks like another hit piece to me from that rag

krog18

Oct 18, 2019
Would be very curious of what the other franchises in Boston are doing, like the Red Sox for example.

Looks like another hit piece to me from that rag

I’m not sure whether you’re a STH or not, but all the other Boston teams have been out in front of this with bonuses for staying on, no questions asked deferrals, etc. The Bruins have just been charging credit cards (until now apparently) and sending snarky emails saying the plan is to play an 82 game season with full fan attendance in the middle of a ranging pandemic. It’s not a hit piece and some might even say the article gave them the benefit of the doubt.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
I wonder what percentage of STH are on a payment plan other than the 10 month plan. I use the 5 month plan. This month was the final payment on that plan so anyone that is not on the 10 month is already fully paid up and gets no benefit from this decision.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
I got the email yesterday. In typical Bs customer service excellence it was addressed to

Dear,

So rushed they couldn't use merge mail to personalize it

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
I got the email yesterday. In typical Bs customer service excellence it was addressed to

Dear,

So rushed they couldn't use merge mail to personalize it

I have not received an email so maybe they spent enough time to filter out the STH that is not on the 10 month plan.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As an important member of the Boston Bruins Family, we thank you for your patience and commitment as we work thru the re-opening of the TD Garden, and bringing hockey back to our beloved city. We realize there is uncertainty regarding whether fans will be allowed to attend all home games, what the return to play will be like for TD Garden and how these changes may impact your 2020-21 Season Tickets and payments, including total cost.

While we await further details from the NHL regarding the 2020-21 Season, the Bruins have made the decision to cancel any scheduled payments for our Season Ticket Holders. This means that you will not be charged in December. As soon as we have more information regarding the Bruins schedule for this upcoming season, we will communicate the relevant updates to your Season Tickets, including refund options as well options for Season Ticket Holders to accrue interest on money which they leave in their account. Lastly, we will reach out in the coming weeks to provide available options should any game(s) be impacted by COVID-related government or league restrictions that result in attendance limitations at TD Garden.

As always, please contact Boston Bruins Fan Relations directly if you ever need anything.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Fenway any chance this gets us an actual second entrance to the building? We didn't get one from the facelift even though it does look nice with that outdoor escalator.

Is the 'second' one by the loading dock/old pro shop still accessible in any manner I know theres a new high rise over there.

It sucks the Bruins made the decision to collect interest off their most loyal fans instead of doing the right thing and buying good will. These are the people desperate to go to a game once they are allowed/feel comfortable doing so that got a swift kick in the nuts in return for years of support.

I'm rooting for a spring / summer warm weather season with fans allowed.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fenway any chance this gets us an actual second entrance to the building? We didn't get one from the facelift even though it does look nice with that outdoor escalator.

Is the 'second' one by the loading dock/old pro shop still accessible in any manner I know theres a new high rise over there.

I think that option is gone

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
No, it’s just the Bruins being the Bruins. Hit pieces aren’t needed, they just continually treat fans like crap.

So you don't know what the other Boston franchises are doing for STH ? I would assume then that they are not billing anybody.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think that option is gone

Shame.

If it were easy to get fans to show up for an event at a certain time not all at the same time that would have been done pre covid.

The easy solution to not have bottlenecks is to chill on the searches and rip paper tickets vs scanning everyone’s phone but that ain’t happening.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
A friend's nephew has Celtics ST. Unless she has her info wrong she told me that her nephew is being charged as normal.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
As far as other Boston franchises, let's take a trip on the T:

RED LINE:

Red Sox allowed STHs to either carry forward what they spent on their 2020 plan with a 10% bonus, or get a full refund - and that started April 29, I believe. I think the "bonus" has to be used for extra tickets (or possibly upgrades and/or a ticket price hike, if they had the gall to do that) in 2021, but I'm not 100% sure. Honestly, if you're allowing them to keep it on account, you should be able to just keep it to pay part of your 2022 package.

I don't know what the Sox are doing for 2021. I imagine STHs have had to chip in something already to renew and reserve their spot - an open ballpark in September at 20% STH-only capacity isn't out of the question...and if it's not out of the question, the Sox kind of have to plan as if it's happening. Bruins make you pay 6 months in advance by March to hold for September games - not unreasonable if the Sox STH had to renew by September for a theoretical March season start. Of course, Sox fans won't be in the stands by then, but they need money to show that you're still interested as a STH.

I'd be curious what happens if you decided you want 10% credit with the Sox, and then changed your mind. Can you at least get the original money back? I assume so.

BLUE LINE:

From very early on, the Patriots allowed STHs to opt out of the current season while still keeping their seat for 2021-22, if they wanted. Of course, that was back months before the season started, and I think they had to decide by July. Either way, they at least got their money back by now - all home games in Gillette this year are closed.

GREEN LINE:

Celtics offered STHs and mini plan holders a 10% bonus if they took the 6-10 (I don't know exactly how many) unplayed games back in March and April as "store credit" for use towards the purchase of future tickets.

I don't know what the Celtics are doing in terms of STHs for the next season, but I'd be curious to know, as they're our close cousins.

ORANGE/GOLD-ISH LINE:

The Bruins held our 6 unplayed games from 2019-2020 hostage. Not to mention we got paid pro-rated - meaning that a primo game like the Leafs on a Saturday night was undervalued, because every ticket has the same face value. Because of preseason games bringing down the average, the 6 remaining games were, collectively, worth more than 6 "average" games.

And, as has been accurately noted, they've collected at least 90% of the payments for 2020-21 from all STHs unless they granted a random deferment for some reason. It's starting to get nuts. The picture is very clear - fans are NOT going to be inside the Garden for 2020-21 regular season. I'd give a strong "no" to the playoffs, too - definite "no" for 100% capacity, and even a pretty likely "no" at 20% capacity.

Reactions: Ratty

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
As far as other Boston franchises, let's take a trip on the T:

RED LINE:

Red Sox allowed STHs to either carry forward what they spent on their 2020 plan with a 10% bonus, or get a full refund - and that started April 29, I believe. I think the "bonus" has to be used for extra tickets (or possibly upgrades and/or a ticket price hike, if they had the gall to do that) in 2021, but I'm not 100% sure. Honestly, if you're allowing them to keep it on account, you should be able to just keep it to pay part of your 2022 package.

I don't know what the Sox are doing for 2021. I imagine STHs have had to chip in something already to renew and reserve their spot - an open ballpark in September at 20% STH-only capacity isn't out of the question...and if it's not out of the question, the Sox kind of have to plan as if it's happening. Bruins make you pay 6 months in advance by March to hold for September games - not unreasonable if the Sox STH had to renew by September for a theoretical March season start. Of course, Sox fans won't be in the stands by then, but they need money to show that you're still interested as a STH.

I'd be curious what happens if you decided you want 10% credit with the Sox, and then changed your mind. Can you at least get the original money back? I assume so.

BLUE LINE:

From very early on, the Patriots allowed STHs to opt out of the current season while still keeping their seat for 2021-22, if they wanted. Of course, that was back months before the season started, and I think they had to decide by July. Either way, they at least got their money back by now - all home games in Gillette this year are closed.

GREEN LINE:

Celtics offered STHs and mini plan holders a 10% bonus if they took the 6-10 (I don't know exactly how many) unplayed games back in March and April as "store credit" for use towards the purchase of future tickets.

I don't know what the Celtics are doing in terms of STHs for the next season, but I'd be curious to know, as they're our close cousins.

ORANGE/GOLD-ISH LINE:

The Bruins held our 6 unplayed games from 2019-2020 hostage. Not to mention we got paid pro-rated - meaning that a primo game like the Leafs on a Saturday night was undervalued, because every ticket has the same face value. Because of preseason games bringing down the average, the 6 remaining games were, collectively, worth more than 6 "average" games.

And, as has been accurately noted, they've collected at least 90% of the payments for 2020-21 from all STHs unless they granted a random deferment for some reason. It's starting to get nuts. The picture is very clear - fans are NOT going to be inside the Garden for 2020-21 regular season. I'd give a strong "no" to the playoffs, too - definite "no" for 100% capacity, and even a pretty likely "no" at 20% capacity.
What about the Purple Line (commuter rail) and the Silver Line? Good post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad