Post-Game Talk: Bruins 2, Penguins 1 (OT) - And So It Goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Rust not even getting a shot on a breakaway and when Sid set him up in a prime scoring position late in the game is a microcosm of his season. And of course he gets promoted to the top line when Horny went down.
I feel bad for Geno, Sid and Jarry, the rest of the team didn't even deserve a point.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Rust not even getting a shot on a breakaway and when Sid set him up in a prime scoring position late in the game is a microcosm of his season. And of course he gets promoted to the top line when Horny went down.
I feel bad for Geno, Sid and Jarry, the rest of the team didn't even deserve a point.

Who else are they supposed to put there? Sheary got traded for an albatross contract remember?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Who else are they supposed to put there? Sheary got traded for an albatross contract remember?
Let's just remember that we have a lot of wingers that can play RW as well, especially in a situation like that.

Sullivan decided to barely play Sheahan and Sprong. Let's take out the Sprong factor so people stop being whiny bitches about his name. Let's focus on Sheahan. Instead of double shifting ZAR and Rust, why not move Sheahan to LW and spread the minutes more, at best, he might spark something and take draws as he's still one of our better face-off men.

Simon, Pearson, and Guentzel all can play RW.

Instead, he was also sitting, doing nothing. Sullivan purposely made himself more shorthanded just because of his own ego and pride and wanting to send a message.

If you have ANY players that are healthy, sitting and doing nothing, you are not using the f***ing bench properly. Simple as that.

JUST an example.

Granted, Sheahan has been bad, but so has Rust. At least Sheahan can win draws if need be.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Let's just remember that we have a lot of wingers that can play RW as well, especially in a situation like that.

Sullivan decided to barely play Sheahan and Sprong. Let's take out the Sprong factor so people stop being whiny *****es about his name. Let's focus on Sheahan. Instead of double shifting ZAR and Rust, why not move Sheahan to LW and spread the minutes more, at best, he might spark something and take draws as he's still one of our better face-off men.

Instead, he was also sitting, doing nothing.

If you have ANY players that are healthy, sitting and doing nothing, you are not using the ****ing bench properly. Simple as that.

JUST an example.

Granted, Sheahan has been bad, but so has Rust. At least Sheahan can win draws if need be.

Because Sheahan might be the worst forward on the team offensively.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Because Sheahan might be the worst forward on the team offensively.

That doesn't f***ing matter. In a game where he's still taking draws and winning them and you're down 2 f***ing wingers, one of which is actually injured, you play what you have. Simple as that. Instead, you had players that weren't doing well on lines, still there, nothing moved to spark anything. Sheahan has actually looked better as a winger this season than he has as center, which isn't saying much.

But it's also what can be said for Rust, ZAR, and others as well. Including Sheahan.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That doesn't ****ing matter. In a game where he's still taking draws and winning them and you're down 2 ****ing wingers, one of which is actually injured, you play what you have. Simple as that. Instead, you had players that weren't doing well on lines, still there, nothing moved to spark anything. Sheahan has actually looked better as a winger this season than he has as center, which isn't saying much.

But it's also what can be said for Rust, ZAR, and others as well. Including Sheahan.

They did play what they had. Rust. Sheahan is the only player more garbage than Rust this year.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It is ridiculous that Sprong only saw 4 minutes and change. Sullivan probably blamed him for the Debrusk goal, a shot Jarry obviously blew. It was basically his only mistake in an otherwise brilliant performance. But clearly, Sprong was blamed and stapled to the bench again. This has to stop.

JR did a great move with the Pearson acquisition. We finally have a great second line with all three players on the line capable of scoring goals when set up. So obviously, Sullivan is now sabotaging Crosby's line with a player who cannot score. His love for the penalty-killing forward is completely out of control. Our PK was never an issue, and it still is not an issue despite the fact that the golden one is now in LA.

We needed a second goal last night, and Rust was the one getting all the chances. We lose 2-1. That loss is on the coach, sorry.

I get his hate for Sprong, it is clear as day and obvious. Sprong is not Sullivan's cup of tea, and he would rather lose with Rust than win with a player he hates (on principle). HOWEVER, how was Simon not given more ice time in the third period? He is NOT in the dog house, as far as we know. He was on a serious roll before Sullivan elected to make more line changes after Crosby returned from injury. Simon should have never left Crosby's wing. It can be argued that Simon is the winger with the most chemistry with Crosby on this team. He complements 87 perfectly. Yeah he differs a bit too much, and should shoot the puck more, but overall he is fine there when a shooter like Guentzel is on the other wing. AND, he is more comfortable at RW than Guentzel is, so the line of Guentzel-Crosby-Simon works on so many levels. Instead, he decided to go back to the veteran RW that Crosby hates playing with, and then when HE went down Rust was the replacement. So basically, our three best RW options to play with Crosby (Simon, Sprong and Kessel) were snubbed in favor of a player with one goal on the season.

So, it looks like JR has to take away Sullivan's other toys as well. Hagelin gone. Wilson sent back down. The next to go have to be Rust, and either Sheahan or Grant. Then MAYBE the coach will finally understand what the GM already knows: that this team NEEDS young, cheap productive players with our salary cap situation. Both Simon and Sprong are on sweetheart contracts right now, but it matters none if the coach won't maximize their talents.

Therefore, instead of taking away more toys, maybe JR should first just take away the coach. It's probably easier.

Besides, on many nights this season we have resembled the 2008-09 Pens under Therrien, and also the 2015-16 Pens under Johnston. Lifeless, uninterested, as if the message is no longer getting through.

Time for change.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Was Sprong benched because he was blamed for the Debrusk goal? (not sure how, Jarry saves that 9/10) or because Sully hates him? or because it was 1-1 and he doesn't trust Sprong? or all the above?

His value is in the toilet now so we may as well trade him for peanuts and watch him become a decent player elsewhere.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Do we have to load up the top two lines? They didn't look hot enough to warrant that, particularly Geno-Phil. I'd feel a lot happier throwing a 3rd that line that I believed could score out there, and that includes Brassard and at least one good winger.

edit: p.s. I thought that was far from the worst game of hockey they've played, although pretty dull. You could treat it as a foundation stone. But changes need to be keep being made.

And the confidence levels are still pretty rocky. Everyone thinking things a little too long, bobbling pucks that they shouldn't.

I didn’t watch the game but if we’re out Horny and Rust today, I don’t think we can afford to spread the offense out...we’ve getting nothing from Brass on that third line because ZAR is a plug and Simon does very little when not playing with Sid..

CLB has one very good line of Atkinson, Dubois and Panarin, the Penguin killer....they cycle a lot...G and Phil will be horrible matchup for that line, so Sully has to play Sid against them, and he’ll need some help with Horny out...that’s why I’m suggesting play Brass and Simon up there...Simon will be more helpful playing with Sid than Jake will be worse playing away from Sid if that makes any sense...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Yeah... Rust/Dumo struggling this season are two I'm willing to deal with. Rust being one that i'm getting on my last nerve. Guys struggle. It happens to all players. Even Sid/Geno. It's just the worst time to have a combo of like Murray/Dumo/Rust not playing well.

But guys who don't have the luxury of struggling as they play for their NHL Career - Sprong, Simon, Sheahan, ZAR, Grant, etc. They are so f***ing worthless. So it drives me insane. Then you have Oleksiak who is absolute ass in the d-zone. Then you have Maatta who seriously is turning into Scuderi. He's that bad. JJ is a freaking inconsistent adventure.

Damn the list is just insane. But going back to your take on Rust, it's sad. I'm willing to deal with it because it does happen, but it's maddening. Especially that breakaway where he doesn't even get a shot off. Jesus. Brutal.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Was Sprong benched because he was blamed for the Debrusk goal? (not sure how, Jarry saves that 9/10) or because Sully hates him? or because it was 1-1 and he doesn't trust Sprong? or all the above?

His value is in the toilet now so we may as well trade him for peanuts and watch him become a decent player elsewhere.

Ceteris paribus - I don't see him having uber success anywhere. His best bet would be to go to a bottom team who can let it all play out. IF he continues to play the way he does, then i'd imagine he's out of the league in a couple years.

Once again, all based on all things remaining equal. Sheary came into the NHL and fell over every single blue/red line he went over and couldn't even dump the puck in. So everything can turn around.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Ceteris paribus - I don't see him having uber success anywhere. His best bet would be to go to a bottom team who can let it all play out. IF he continues to play the way he does, then i'd imagine he's out of the league in a couple years.

Once again, all based on all things remaining equal. Sheary came into the NHL and fell over every single blue/red line he went over and couldn't even dump the puck in. So everything can turn around.

Yes, he's definitely going to go to be better off on a bottom feeder. If Hornqvist is out next game then they should try and give him a few shifts next to Crosby, even if it is just to try and increase his value.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I didn’t watch the game but if we’re out Horny and Rust today, I don’t think we can afford to spread the offense out...we’ve getting nothing from Brass on that third line because ZAR is a plug and Simon does very little when not playing with Sid..

CLB has one very good line of Atkinson, Dubois and Panarin, the Penguin killer....they cycle a lot...G and Phil will be horrible matchup for that line, so Sully has to play Sid against them, and he’ll need some help with Horny out...that’s why I’m suggesting play Brass and Simon up there...Simon will be more helpful playing with Sid than Jake will be worse playing away from Sid if that makes any sense...

I guess in the circs you've got a point. But in general, I'd like to get to 3 lines rather than 2.

Reactions: Andy99

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
But guys who don't have the luxury of struggling as they play for their NHL Career - Sprong, Simon, Sheahan, ZAR, Grant, etc. They are so ****ing worthless. So it drives me insane. Then you have Oleksiak who is absolute ass in the d-zone. Then you have Maatta who seriously is turning into Scuderi. He's that bad. JJ is a freaking inconsistent adventure.
at least Simon had a stretch of not sucking to start the year. Now the question is can he bounce back to that? He did the same last year. He came in and looked solid, then he disappeared. So the question is whether or not he can actually maintain good play. So far he's shown he can play well for two different stretches, but he's also disappeared both times.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
When a coach goes rogue, there is nothing that can be done other than firing that coach.

It took several years for this to occur with DB. If JR waits, it will be a very unhappy ending to Sid/Geno era. For as much as the Penguins have done right as an organization, they have also done as much wrong. Such a weird organization that truly acts in polar opposite fashion at any given time.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
at least Simon had a stretch of not sucking to start the year. Now the question is can he bounce back to that? He did the same last year. He came in and looked solid, then he disappeared. So the question is whether or not he can actually maintain good play. So far he's shown he can play well for two different stretches, but he's also disappeared both times.

He’s only really looked like a NHL player to me with Sid...not a surprise if Horny’s out, move him back up there ...we’re not getting the most out of him playing him with ZAR and Brass hasn’t shown he can improve borderline NHL players like Sid can

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He’s only really looked like a NHL player to me with Sid...not a surprise if Horny’s out, move him back up there ...we’re not getting the most out of him playing him with ZAR and Brass hasn’t shown he can improve borderline NHL players like Sid can
he did well to start the year in the bottom 6 this year I thought. 4 of his 9 ES points this year came in the bottom 6 without Sid.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
he did well to start the year in the bottom 6 this year I thought. 4 of his 9 ES points this year came in the bottom 6 without Sid.

Yeah he’s a set up guy more than a finisher so is better with a winger or centre that can finish. He hasn’t played with a winger that can finish in the bottom 6. Brassard only has 2 goals too.

We need a trade!!!!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I guess that answers that question about whether they'd follow up the Dallas win with another dominating effort. Couldn't even beat a depleted Bruins team.

To top it off, looks like Hornqvist got hurt. So now we're back to Rust killing the top line, and zero depth scoring.

Also, this defense sucks at moving the puck. Like, really really sucks at making even the most basic of outlet passes. I don't even know how JR fixes that mess on the blueline.

I don't think last night was too bad.

If they win tonight it'd be a solid back to back..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad