GDT: Bruins (2) at Leafs (0). You have got to Win. Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I said the same about Johnsson playing over Martin, Moore and Leivo... and yet, here we are. Grundstrom was loved by Babcock in training camp and spoke highly of him. He's been great for the Marlies in the 2 games he played and then he sat out last night... Perhaps Mirtle heard something about the Leafs and Grundstrom and is just putting 2 and 2 together.

Johnsson is all ready playing in place of Kadri, technically. Now with Komarov very likely out, they have to play one of the 3 bench warmers or with a Marlies call-up if they don't like their bench warmers.

Johnsson like Kapanen before him played some nhl games after playing the bulk of the year in the AHL. Grundstrom has played 2 AHL games after the bulk of the year on big ice in Sweden. It’s not the same, the leafs have done nothing to show they would bring a player trough this quickly he has played 2 games in NA ice in his career.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Johnsson like Kapanen before him played some nhl games after playing the bulk of the year in the AHL. Grundstrom has played 2 AHL games after the bulk of the year on big ice in Sweden. It’s not the same, the leafs have done nothing to show they would bring a player trough this quickly he has played 2 games in NA ice in his career.

All good points and like Mirtle, this is just a darkhorse callup potential since the Leafs are very high on him, especially Babcock.

Either way, I prefer Leivo anyway. He deserves a shot.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Hope the rest of the D takes a page out of Dermott's book and attempts to actually make it hard for Boston.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The only way it is a close game, if the Leafs can exit their own zone with puck. They did it well enough during the regular season but these last two games....just awful. Can't believe how bad just about all the Dmen have played.
Play in the Boston end, make then take penalties, is the only way to win not only in this series but any hockey game.
Would love to see Babcock stop his obsession with line matching. Let the guys plays.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Swapping Zaitsev for Carrick would be a welcome change. Carrick can move the puck and plays physically. Zaitsev is constantly getting overpowered in front of the net and dumped along the boards.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I wonder if Babcock will be coaching to lose again tonight.

This dude has made questionable line up decisions all season, and it is even becoming worse in the playoffs.

Marleau at C when he was terrible at it during the regular season and the team played much better when Nylander was at C? Gotta make sure to give the gud pro the more important role even if hes worse at it.

Moving our worst offensive player to play with Matthews when hes struggled in game 1. Komarov was also the cause of the penalty that led to the Bruins first goal... Seriously, what kind of coach does that shit...

The bias towards veterans is just outrageous. Babcock has been coaching to lose all series, and has yet to make moves that increases the chance of victory for the leafs.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Brown
Johnsson-Bozak-Kapanen
JVR-Plekanec-Leivo

Run all 4 lines
I like this idea. At home Babcock can attempt to put Nylander out against the people he wants him to face. Putting JVR on the 4th line might be giving him even less competition which I think is a good idea usually.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I really don't see the effect it will have when he'll only see a few shifts a period. You need to roll line after of players finishing checks and making things difficult, this isn't the Leafs game though.
During the season I would have had Martin in the lineup most nights. If Matthews can't get fired up tonight without Martin, that is a huge problem.
But a player like Martin is more useless in the season than the playoffs. You can't intimidate a team that is flying out to another city the next day. And only a few shifts a period can make a difference. As far as Matthews being fired up, well, he should be. But if Martin can do a small part in gaining momentum then he proves his worth IMO.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Been avoiding the board because I knew anyone and everyone would be blamed for the 2 losses by some of the more bipolar fans.

I don't think the Leafs lost those 2 games because they were physically dominated or out skilled at all. They lost both games mentally. Whether the occasion got to them I don't know, but they are definitely way better than they showed and need to collectively get over whatever it is to win.
They're in danger of being swept and the fear of that should be enough inspiration to win.

Some good teams are getting schooled in these playoffs.
It happens. It's sport.

Sick of seeing players and the coach being torn apart on here because they lost a couple games. People bashing Matthews and Co in their second season at this level are all kinds of ****ing stupid. Get a grip.
The series isint over yet.

They were clearly intimidated and didn’t want to compete. Some guys look like they were scared.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
We need a !@#$ load of shots on Rask tonight.

I'm saying like 40-50 from everywhere, every angle - winning 4/5 against a very, very good team is bad enough.

Ask Kings fans what 0-3 feels like right now; and they were in every game. We haven't shown up, and if it's not tonight, then we deserve to go golfing early.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Backs against the wall?

I mean, the reason cliches are so popular, is because they often illustrate the truth very well. And we have to literally fight like a wounded wolverine against an attacking bear, with an "our backs against the wall" mentality.

And that wall better be Andersen, if you know what I'm sayin'...

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Swapping Zaitsev for Carrick would be a welcome change. Carrick can move the puck and plays physically. Zaitsev is constantly getting overpowered in front of the net and dumped along the boards.

Swapping Hainsey for someone not running on empty would be nice.
Even when Hainsey gets the puck on the PK he doesn't have enough strength to clear the zone.

I can't say any of the defenders have been great, but at least Polak isn't getting score on as often at even strength.

At least the Leafs don't have to figure out where they need to improve!

Reactions: moon111

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It doesn't matter which lines or defence pairings Babs rolls out tonight if we come out flat again.

Every player on this team needs to look in the mirror and feel utterly ashamed and embarrassed after that pathetic display in Boston.

If they have any pride whatsoever, they will come out flying tonight and outwork Boston, regardless of the outcome.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's funny to me how a lot of the Bruins goals have come from our supposed "defensive minded" defenders being completely outmuscled from pucks around the net.

I'd love to see Carrick bumping out a struggling defenseman.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I wonder if Babcock will be coaching to lose again tonight.

This dude has made questionable line up decisions all season, and it is even becoming worse in the playoffs.

Marleau at C when he was terrible at it during the regular season and the team played much better when Nylander was at C? Gotta make sure to give the gud pro the more important role even if hes worse at it.

Moving our worst offensive player to play with Matthews when hes struggled in game 1. Komarov was also the cause of the penalty that led to the Bruins first goal... Seriously, what kind of coach does that ****...

The bias towards veterans is just outrageous. Babcock has been coaching to lose all series, and has yet to make moves that increases the chance of victory for the leafs.

First - Marleau played great at centre before. He's a very good defensive centre, actually - he just doesn't LIKE it particularly.

Komarov was moved there to match up as a super-pest against Marchand. Which isn't the worse move a coach can make . . . I'm sure that changes on home ice, where we dictate the match-ups.

Reactions: NCoRe

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
But a player like Martin is more useless in the season than the playoffs. You can't intimidate a team that is flying out to another city the next day. And only a few shifts a period can make a difference. As far as Matthews being fired up, well, he should be. But if Martin can do a small part in gaining momentum then he proves his worth IMO.
Yeah, I get your point but I don't see the B's as a Team that will be intimidated. To me that plays into their hands as Martin would fire them up.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It doesn't matter which lines or defence pairings Babs rolls out tonight if we come out flat again.

Every player on this team needs to look in the mirror and feel utterly ashamed and embarrassed after that pathetic display in Boston.

If they have any pride whatsoever, they will come out flying tonight and outwork Boston, regardless of the outcome.

The utter shame should have been there from Boston. Now they should be extremely pissed off and should honestly destroy them tonight. I can't even imagine a loss tonight. If it does, nah I don't see it.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Brown
Johnsson-Bozak-Kapanen
JVR-Plekanec-Leivo

Run all 4 lines

Nylander isn’t playing center. LOL. He is getting exposed. I would also rather see Kapanen in the top 6. He is ready to play a bigger role Babcock just needs to WAKE UP.

Nylander is a disgrace. You don’t see guys playing scared like him very often.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
First - Marleau played great at centre before. He's a very good defensive centre, actually - he just doesn't LIKE it particularly.

Komarov was moved there to match up as a super-pest against Marchand. Which isn't the worse move a coach can make . . . I'm sure that changes on home ice, where we dictate the match-ups.
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/.../uploads/2018/04/13153309/MarleauNylander.png

"The Leafs were outscored 15-9 when Marleau was at centre in those games and outchanced 94-79. Conversely, when Nylander played centre, the Leafs were an even 8-8 on the scoreboard while generating 78 scoring chances to 61 for the opposition."

Mike Babcock's most curious lineup decision for Game 2...

Yeah Marleau was great...

And look at what Komarov did, what a great job. Totally didn't see Marchand still dominating with him on the ice. Hell they don't even match up against each other on the same wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->