GDT: Bruins (2) at Leafs (0). You have got to Win. Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
It's time to stack the first two lines and run with them. Bottom 6 goes 90's trap style when top 6 needs a breather.

If they need to bore us to death to get the win, I'm on board.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Well it's time to prove a few things
I think Babs should go with the people's lines and see how it works. He's been getting reemed all year....we have the last change, so stack some lines.

Marleau - Matthews - Marner
JvR - Nylander - Kapanen
Hyman - Bozak - Brown
Leivo - Plekanec - Johnsson

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
There needs to be a better GDT OP post, we're the home team so it'll be copied over to the main boards.

But yes. ****ing win. Please. PLEASE HOCKEY GODS.

First Leafs game in like 10 years that I bought before the series started.. I just want to go to it believing there's a chance. :cry:
Don't we usually have GDT signups or something? How do we have nice ones in the regular season?

Nothing against you, Daisy. Honestly thought we usually had people sign up to do them.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I had a great feeling before the first two games, and I have a bad feeling about this one.... so I hope that means they're winning. Please make this a series.

Reactions: IBeL34f

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Leafs need their confidence back. They’ve looked so defeated from start. Hopefully playing at home gets their mojo flowing again.

Get a good first few shifts in and build the momentum from there. As long as Andersen gives them a chance to win.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Babcock needs to show up tonight.

He's been getting a good old fashion spanking so far this series. Shades of Peter Horachek the way he goes 4th line against the best line in hockey.

But now he has last change, if he loses the coaching battle tonight then its just sad.

I would play Kapanen a lot. He's been our best winger so far this series. Matthews should be around 20 mins assuming we don't get a lot of penalties.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
nhl-schedule-graphic.jpg

(Illustration by Sophie Baron / CBC)

Monday Game 3 preview: Boston Bruins at Toronto Maple Leafs

Bruins’ David Pastrnak tough test for Morgan Rielly and Leafs’ defence once again at Air Canada Centre.

Monday Game 3 preview: Boston Bruins at Toronto Maple Leafs | The Star

pastrnak_leafs.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Boston’s David Pastrnak sheds Leaf defenceman Jake Gardiner along the boards in Game 2, in which Pastrnak racked up six points. (Winslow Townson / AP)

By Mark ZwolinskiSports Reporter
Sun., April 15, 2018

AIR CANADA CENTRE
FACEOFF:
7 p.m.
TV: CBC
RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN
KEY PLAYERS
Pastrnak/Rielly
Defenceman Morgan Rielly has been on the ice for far too many Bruins goals through the first two games of this series. He watched Bruins sniper David Pastrnak score two of his three goals Saturday night in Boston. Rielly and the rest of the Leafs defence haven’t been physical enough, allowing Pastrnak and linemates Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand ample room to do damage. The line has 20 points in two games — 14 in Game 2 alone, with Pastrnak racking up six of his nine to date. That tied Phil Esposito’s record for points after two games in a playoff series.
NEED TO KNOW
The Leafs’ second defensive pair of Jake Gardiner and Nikita Zaitsev was on the ice for the first four goals against in Game 2 ... Leafs offensive leaders Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner and James van Riemsdyk have accounted for just three points combined. Matthews is pointless and minus-2 ... Leafs goalie Freddie Andersen has allowed eight goals in less than four periods.
UP NEXT
Game 4, Thursday at Air Canada Centre, 7 p.m.

Can coach Mike Babcock emulate Pat Burns and '93 Leafs?
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby

Can coach Mike Babcock emulate Pat Burns and ’93 Leafs?

BOSTON — Hammered in its first two playoff road games, his stars stymied, fans in a flap and the media sharpening their knives, the coach of the Maple Leafs called a meeting, called out some players and they bounced back to make the conference final.
What worked for Pat Burns 25 years ago this week might not apply to Mike Babcock’s younger Buds. But with dire numbers confronting the 2018 Leafs — 20 points by Boston’s big line and only an 11.3% chance of recovery based on other NHL teams in 0-2 holes, it’s worth noting the 1993 club recovered its regular season mojo just in time, the last Leaf team to rally in that circumstance.
“If we believe we’re beat then we are beat,” the late Burns growled after his group schlepped home from Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, soundly beaten 6-3 and 6-2. “One thing we’ve got to do is stop listening to everything.”
Much of that was repeated at the MasterCard Centre on Sunday. The night before, at TD Garden, defenceman Nikita Zaitsev expressed similar thoughts after a 7-3 loss brought the Leafs to a 12-4 goal differential. “This is serious. You’re not allowed to show the other team you’re done.”
Reprising the role of criticized captain Wendel Clark in ‘93 is captain-in-waiting Auston Matthews. He had points in nine straight games at the end of the regular season and seemed ready to take another step in playoffs. So far, he’s shooting blanks, denied by a combination of Patrice Bergeron’s line and the seawall of defenceman Zdeno Chara and goalie Tuukka Rask.
“We need to re-group and take a deep breath,” Matthews said Saturday. “We have to be way more disciplined. They’re getting way too many power plays, we’re not (generating) enough.”
Like the ‘93 Leafs who won the next two games on home ice, beat Detroit in seven and got within a win of the Cup final, Toronto needs to maximize its Air Canada Centre advantage. It won a franchise record 29 at home, including two one-goal decisions over Boston.
“That’s going to mean a lot,” Matthews said. “That starts Monday.”
These Leafs don’t have Doug Gilmour, a rough n’ ready defence or the veteran presence Burns leaned on 25 years ago. But they’d better develop their own chemistry, or be cleaning out their lockers on Friday.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Start with making sure we aren’t swept, then build from there. I’ve lowered expectations to just make damn sure you aren’t swept, from there we can start building on making it a series. Those 2 games we were dominated. How we go at home will answer questions about whether or not we can compete

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's fugly out there
Yep....schools closed, Internets down, not even sure if I can get off my street.
Having to use my phone as a hotspot to work.

Should be interesting when the kids get up. They were expecting no school today but they won't be happy without tv/Netflix to stare at all day.

Reactions: Rob Brown

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I think Babs should go with the people's lines and see how it works. He's been getting reemed all year....we have the last change, so stack some lines.

JvR - Nylander - Kapanen
Hyman - Bozak - Brown

Pretty much spot on. He needs to run the big boys, no more rolling four lines equally IMO. Our big 3 so far this series has been Hyman, Matthews, and Kapanen. They might make a good line down the stretch protecting a lead.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Been avoiding the board because I knew anyone and everyone would be blamed for the 2 losses by some of the more bipolar fans.

I don't think the Leafs lost those 2 games because they were physically dominated or out skilled at all. They lost both games mentally. Whether the occasion got to them I don't know, but they are definitely way better than they showed and need to collectively get over whatever it is to win.
They're in danger of being swept and the fear of that should be enough inspiration to win.

Some good teams are getting schooled in these playoffs.
It happens. It's sport.

Sick of seeing players and the coach being torn apart on here because they lost a couple games. People bashing Matthews and Co in their second season at this level are all kinds of ****ing stupid. Get a grip.
The series isint over yet.
Well put.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

JvR - Nylander - Kapanen
Hyman - Bozak - Brown
There's no such thing as the "people's lines". Everyone has a different opinion on them and they all look almost completely different and I'm sure would play differently. I agree with the last change part though, he's going to be able to get the match ups he wants (mostly since Kadri is out) so I'm fine with not sheltering some players as often.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
We might be down 2-0, but we are not out of this series. We cannot afford to go down 3-0 though, this is a must win in my eyes

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
This one will get ugly, Mikey the Ego will chase his line matching theory all night. Sad

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Any word on Komarovs health/replacement?

Mirtle mentioned that he wouldn't be surprised if Grundstrom was recalled. It would be weird to play him over Leivo and Moore but the Leafs are super high on him.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We might be down 2-0, but we are not out of this series. We cannot afford to go down 3-0 though, this is a must win in my eyes
If we lose tonight it's over, if we win anything can happen. I expect us to come out flying tonight, we're a good team.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Any word on Komarovs health/replacement?

Mirtle mentioned that he wouldn't be surprised if Grundstrom was recalled. It would be weird to play him over Leivo and Moore but the Leafs are super high on him.
That would be a very, very hard position to put Grundstrom in. Not sure if I'd be up for throwing him into the fire in a must win game. Maybe try Leivo? Not sure if he can handle the speed we need to be running at though. I think they go with Moore in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->