News Article: Bruins #1 in Contract Efficiency

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Seeing as the numbers are close, would that imply that Coyle's career production is deflated because he's never had good linemates? or could it just be that Coyle is a 40pt center? I personally think he's just a 40pt center, whose an great #3C and a serviceable #2C in a pinch.

Yes it would.

Minnesota hasn't been very good. When he played center for them he was behind Staal and Koivu, playing with leftovers on the 3rd line. He's clearly more comfortable and impactful at center, but the one season where he played more in the top6, he put up 56 points (2016-17).

That said, Coyle's 37pts last year puts him 60th for centers in the NHL. Those are 2nd line numbers despite playing 3rd line minutes with 3rd liners and rookies, and without getting much power play time. Coyle also gets more defensive zone starts than either Bergeron or Krejci.

I think there's a strong case there that Coyle would be an excellent 2c if given the minutes and linemates.

Reactions: DBL84 and BMC

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Right he's a number 2 on a bad team, not a cup contender. A #2 on a serious cup contender is usually is normally closer to a top 30 scorer.

I don't buy that either. Coyle is certainly comparable to Cirelli. He was Tampa's 2c and they won the Cup. Dallas' second line center was Faksa. The Isles lost in the conference finals with Nelson as their 2c... All Coyle comparable players.

Reactions: BMC and BruinDust

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't buy that either. Coyle is certainly comparable to Cirelli. He was Tampa's 2c and they won the Cup. Dallas' second line center was Faksa. The Isles lost in the conference finals with Nelson as their 2c... All Coyle comparable players.

Charlie Coyle is not a cup winning 2C. Not even close.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Charlie Coyle is not a cup winning 2C. Not even close.

Michael Handzus (2013) says hello. So does Brayden Schenn (2019). Coyle is at least as comparable to Brad Richards in 2015 at age 34. I'd even toss in Mike Richards from 2012 when comparing the numbers.

Reactions: PlayMakers

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yes it would.

Minnesota hasn't been very good. When he played center for them he was behind Staal and Koivu, playing with leftovers on the 3rd line. He's clearly more comfortable and impactful at center, but the one season where he played more in the top6, he put up 56 points (2016-17).

That said, Coyle's 37pts last year puts him 60th for centers in the NHL. Those are 2nd line numbers despite playing 3rd line minutes with 3rd liners and rookies, and without getting much power play time. Coyle also gets more defensive zone starts than either Bergeron or Krejci.

I wouldn't call 37pts 2nd line center numbers, but for this shortened season he was around the top 60, which would be on the line of a 2nd line and 3rd line center. If he had 10 less points he'd have been fighting for a top 100 spot, on the flip side if he had 10 more points, it wouldn't have even cracked the top 35.

As for TOI, well Coyle had the 5th highest TOI among Bruins FWD's. In fact he averaged 23 seconds less per game than Krejci did. Which brings me to the next thing....

I think there's a strong case there that Coyle would be an excellent 2c if given the minutes and linemates.

Last season here were the top 3 linemates for Coyle and Krejci:

DK46 Top 3
1. DeBrusk
2. Heinen
3. Kuhlman

CC13 Top 3
1. Bjork
2. Heinen
3. DeBrusk

So both centers played with DeBrusk and Heinen, with the difference being Bjork w/ Coyle and Kuhlman w/ Krejci. Coyle is playing nearly as much TOI as our #2C and has similar linemates as our #2C. Based on that, is there really a strong case that Coyle would be an excellent #2C if given the minutes and linemates?

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I don't see how Ritchie and Bjork can be anywhere near B players at this point. Ritchie too slow, Bjork too scared. Both with tool, but questionable toolboxes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->