News Article: Bruin’s Pre Season Articles

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
On the eve of training camp, seven questions facing the Bruins - The Boston Globe

When the Bruins varsity takes the ice in Brighton for training camp’s first skate Wednesday, we’ll get our initial look at what the Black-and-Gold roster will look like for 2021-22.
General manager Don Sweeney dished out nearly $45 million on July 28 for five free agents, including No. 1 goaltender Linus Ullmark. He invested another $33 million to retain left winger Taylor Hall and defenseman Mike Reilly, two more free agents who came aboard last season at the trade deadline.
It was, by far, Sweeney’s most wide-reaching and expensive spending spree since he took the job in 2015. He spent some $78 million to cover multiple positions, in part because of the questionable health status of franchise goaltender Tuukka Rask (recovering from hip surgery) and No. 2 center David Krejci’s desire to return home to Czechia.

▪ Is Ullmark the bona fide plug-and-play replacement for Rask?

▪ Can Charlie Coyle drive the No 2 line?

▪ What is the fit for the many new forwards?

▪ Does Charlie McAvoy run with his No. 1 billing?

▪ Can the No. 1 line keep it going?

▪ Whither Jake DeBrusk?

▪ Are they tough enough?

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
He began playing hockey for fun in a Swedish village. Now, Linus Ullmark is seriously thinking about a Stanley Cup - The Boston Globe

“I did not grow up thinking about one day being in the NHL, no way, that was a very distant thing — for the talented ones like Peter Forsberg,” mused Linus Ullmark, chatting over lunch in late August inside MoDo’s home arena, the Fjallraven Center. “MoDo was my dream. My goal was to be in MoDo with the big boys.”

Ullmark, 28, pulled on his freshly minted Bruins gear, including sleek helmet designed by noted Swedish mask painter Dave Gunnarsson, for Monday’s captain’s practice in Brighton. Plucked from the Sabres as a free agent in July (four years/$20 million), the former MoDo backstop was hired on by Bruins general manager Don Sweeney to pair with rookie Jeremy Swayman in net, possibly with unsigned veteran Tuukka Rask (hip surgery) returning with the season in progress.

Very eager to get started,” said Ullmark, who broke into the NHL with the Sabres at age 22 in 2015-16. “Sometimes in my years in Buffalo, it felt more like a revenge tour — wanting to show we were not the worst team in the league, that we could step up. But we weren’t able to put it together for a full season.”
The Sabres never reached the playoffs during his tenure. But Boston, he figures, will be different, a team with expectations for a postseason run and a fan base conditioned to success.
“A very positive thing for me,” Ullmark said. “I don’t see it as stress or pressure. I have that eagerness and excitement to try something new, going to a place I think and believe that winning the Stanley Cup is not a distant dream, but more a close reality.”

Ullmark, 6 feet 4 inches and 215 pounds, is thoughtful and easygoing, reminiscent in size and personality of John Grahame, who manned the Bruins net across four seasons in the early 2000s. Provided all goes as planned, Ullmark will plug in as Rask’s replacement as the workhorse, albeit with Swayman, 22, eager to springboard off his own 621 career NHL minutes and fill a substantial role.
Upon agreeing to contract terms with the Bruins, Ullmark fired a text to Swayman, noting that he was looking forward to being teammates.
“I think that was one of the coolest things,” Swayman said. “Just great for an older goalie, or a player in general, to reach out like that.”
“Just felt it was the right thing to do,” noted Ullmark, one of 10 goalies to guard the net during his six years in Buffalo. “I wanted him to feel we’re in this together.”

Reactions: Blowfish and Alicat

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
A bulked-up Jack Studnicka hoping to stick in Boston

What really matters for Jack Studnicka will begin Thursday, when the Bruins start on-ice sessions of training camp at Warrior Ice Arena and the true competition for NHL jobs begins.
But Studnicka has at least done the required offseason work that a disappointing 2020-21 season dictated.
The narrow-framed Studnicka — blessed with soft hands and good two-way hockey sense but not exactly a power forward’s body — made a point of sticking around the Boston area over the summer to work out in Foxboro with strength and conditioning coach Brian McDonough at Edge Performance Systems.
The result? Studnicka has put on 15 pounds of what he feels is good weight on his 6-foot-1 body that will help him better handle the physical rigors of NHL play. He’s hopeful that it will.

Reactions: Blowfish

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Whether leading the Boston Bruins in scoring or taking his time in the offseason to guide and mentor young prospects, Brad Marchand is a franchise cornerstone who shows no signs of slowing down as an established veteran and leader.
With the team's main camp set to open this week in Brighton, Mass., the veteran left wing is embracing his role as top scorer and mentor for his teammates.
At age 33, Marchand’s evolution from talented but undisciplined forward to perennial NHL all-star, assistant captain and sterling example for the team’s young players and future hopefuls continues. The left side of Boston’s top line became the first Bruin in nearly 20 years to hit the 100-point plateau (Joe Thornton in 2003) in 2019 and has continued to produce at a similar pace.
However, Marchand represents much more than his statistics indicate.

Reactions: KiwiBruin

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
So camp starts tomorrow? Is it me or has there been absolutely nothing published on the Camo start date, roster or schedule? I’ve been trying to find it for weeks. I saw some folks post over the weekend that it starts Thursday but now we’ve got articles saying today is the eve of camp. Did I just miss it or what?

Reactions: HustleB

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So camp starts tomorrow? Is it me or has there been absolutely nothing published on the Camo start date, roster or schedule? I’ve been trying to find it for weeks. I saw some folks post over the weekend that it starts Thursday but now we’ve got articles saying today is the eve of camp. Did I just miss it or what?

Tomorrow is just for physicals for the players.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I guess they don't want us there without telling us they don't want us there

Reactions: PlayMakers

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Whether leading the Boston Bruins in scoring or taking his time in the offseason to guide and mentor young prospects, Brad Marchand is a franchise cornerstone who shows no signs of slowing down as an established veteran and leader.
With the team's main camp set to open this week in Brighton, Mass., the veteran left wing is embracing his role as top scorer and mentor for his teammates.
At age 33, Marchand’s evolution from talented but undisciplined forward to perennial NHL all-star, assistant captain and sterling example for the team’s young players and future hopefuls continues. The left side of Boston’s top line became the first Bruin in nearly 20 years to hit the 100-point plateau (Joe Thornton in 2003) in 2019 and has continued to produce at a similar pace.
However, Marchand represents much more than his statistics indicate.

*scrounging in pockets for spare change to subscribe to NEHJ*

*insufficient funds*

Do you think they would accept virtual cookies? :laugh:

Reactions: Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I have high hopes for Ullmark but the “I played 55 games once in the minors” line kind of was eye opening lol.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Evaluating Bruins prospects/hopefuls heading into training camp - The Boston Globe

Trent Frederic, C/LW: Club wants to keep him at center, but he’s got a tough battle with fellow left-shot centers Erik Haula and Tomas Nosek sure to make the roster. Bruins protected him from the Seattle expansion draft (most other players on this list were exempt) and handed him a two-year, $2.1 million contract extension. St. Louisian could push right-shooting Curtis Lazar to fourth-line wing, or Chris Wagner out of the lineup.
Jakub Lauko, LW: Third-round pick (77th overall) from 2018 is feisty and fast with some offensive upside. Will be a key player in Providence if he doesn’t win a fourth-line job. Should be an NHL regular in two to three years.

Oskar Steen, C/RW: Small, stocky, and competitive. May not have enough offensive oomph to play center at 5-9 but could earn spot starts as a winger. Is exempt from waivers.
Jesper Froden, RW: Swedish veteran (age 27) can deliver pace on the right side. Showed intelligent two-way game and nose for the net in the Buffalo rookie tournament (four goals in two games). Looks like a better version of Karson Kuhlman, more touch with the puck and around the net. Waivers-exempt.

Zach Senyshyn, RW: Bruins re-signed him for one year at the league minimum. Has not broken through. May get a better shot in another system.
Cameron Hughes, LW/RW: Slightly built (5-11, 160) and soon to be 25, looks like an AHLer.
Fabian Lysell, RW: Several years away but will get a taste of the preseason. Electric skater and playmaker. Should be a point producer for WHL Vancouver this season.
Defensemen
Jakub Zboril, LD: Performed well enough in 42 games last season (0-9—9) to earn a few All-Rookie votes but more veteran help on the left side (Derek Forbort, a healthy John Moore) means a job is not yet his. Was not taken in Seattle expansion draft.

Urho Vaakanainen, LD: Development of first-round pick (18th overall, 2017) appears to have stalled since 2018 arrival in North America. Not much “wow” to his game. Unless he defends harder and creates more offensively, may be a top-four fixture in Providence.

Kyle Keyser: Big year for 22-year-old, who earned a Bruins contract out of the Buffalo rookie tournament in 2017. Can he beat out AHL veteran Troy Grosenick for the majority of starts in Providence? Yet to play a full AHL season. Has a steep climb to full-time work in Boston with Jeremy Swayman’s emergence and Linus Ullmark’s four-year deal. Entry-level contract expires next summer.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
On the eve of training camp, seven questions facing the Bruins - The Boston Globe

When the Bruins varsity takes the ice in Brighton for training camp’s first skate Wednesday, we’ll get our initial look at what the Black-and-Gold roster will look like for 2021-22.
General manager Don Sweeney dished out nearly $45 million on July 28 for five free agents, including No. 1 goaltender Linus Ullmark. He invested another $33 million to retain left winger Taylor Hall and defenseman Mike Reilly, two more free agents who came aboard last season at the trade deadline.
It was, by far, Sweeney’s most wide-reaching and expensive spending spree since he took the job in 2015. He spent some $78 million to cover multiple positions, in part because of the questionable health status of franchise goaltender Tuukka Rask (recovering from hip surgery) and No. 2 center David Krejci’s desire to return home to Czechia.

▪ Is Ullmark the bona fide plug-and-play replacement for Rask?

▪ Can Charlie Coyle drive the No 2 line?

▪ Does Charlie McAvoy run with his No. 1 billing?

▪ Can the No. 1 line keep it going?

▪ Whither Jake DeBrusk?

▪ Are they tough enough?

Really nice article. I would like a full article on this though.

Where each has played recently and the potential roles here would be awesome. I know Haula was done when we originally signed him. I have seen less on Foligno, Forbort and Nosek

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins are starting training camp with a couple of lines very much in flux - The Boston Globe

If all goes well for Charlie Coyle over the next 3½ weeks, he would finish his recovery from knee surgery and work himself into game shape. By the second shift of the Bruins’ Oct. 16 opener against Dallas, the Weymouth product would roll over the boards with Taylor Hall and Craig Smith, completing the second line.
Until then, Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy will look at a few other options as his No. 2 center. Coyle reported to training camp in the “limited” category Wednesday and will not skate with his teammates in Thursday’s first practice session at Warrior Ice Arena in Brighton. He could join the main group next week. His availability for the exhibition slate — which begins Sunday in Washington — is unknown.

That means Cassidy could have a longer look at Jack Studnicka, who might open camp as the pivot man for Hall and Smith. He’s also looking for wingers for Erik Haula, who has the inside track for the No. 3 center job. Another veteran newcomer, Nick Foligno, has played some center in his 15-year NHL career, but at this point looks like an emergency fill-in.

“We don’t have to put him in the middle right away,” Cassidy said. “He’s played left wing, right wing, center. There’s a little bit of leeway there. He’s been in the league a long time, so it’s about getting his individual game [up to speed].”

Cassidy said he’s trying to “find some wingers” for the left-shooting Haula, who prefers to play in the middle. Whether with Hall and Smith, or Jake DeBrusk and Foligno on the third line, stability could benefit Haula. The 30-year-old Finn is suiting up for his fifth team in four seasons.
Haula, who came up as Coyle’s teammate in Minnesota, has 21 goals and 45 points in 99 games with Vegas, Carolina, Florida, and Nashville the last three years. A major reason for the dropoff: a November 2018 knee injury that limited him to 15 games that season.
It was a disappointment following his career-best 29-26—55 line with the expansion “Golden Misfits” in Vegas the previous year. That year, Haula was a speedy, opportunistic finisher and offensive driver for his club’s second line. His timing with David Perron and Jonathan Marchessault led to some fantastic strikes. Haula relished attacking off the rush, put himself in quality shooting positions, and showed a quick stick around the net. Coach Gerard Gallant was eager to use the line in the offensive zone.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins’ Jake DeBrusk is hoping to return to form this season - The Boston Globe

Not only did Jake DeBrusk not chase the 30-goal mark last year, he occasionally found himself a healthy scratch. The Bruins winger acknowledged that during his miserable fourth NHL season, he found himself listening to outside noise.
Things were a bit too raw, coach Bruce Cassidy felt, to have his exit meeting with DeBrusk right after the season. DeBrusk stayed in Boston for a few weeks before returning home to Edmonton. That allowed the sides to get on the same page.
“We had a good talk about some of the things that didn’t allow him to be at the top of his game away from the rink,” Cassidy said. “The COVID protocol affects people differently, what they can and can’t do. Jake was one of those guys that being by himself was a little tougher on him.

So we discussed some of those things, how we could help as the staff, and how it was probably on both of us to reach out a little more. I think in today’s game with today’s athlete, there has to be a little more of that. And so I think we both held ourselves accountable in that regard.”

At the end of the day, I think the message stays the same,” Cassidy said. “You be the best version of yourself, and I think your ice time will take care of itself and you’ll complement anybody you play with.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Loaded with veterans, Bruins open camp with seemingly little roster room for prospects - The Boston Globe

The Bruins varsity finally hit the ice Thursday for the first day of training camp in Brighton, with 50-plus roster candidates splitting into two groups under the watchful eye of Bruce Cassidy and his coaching staff.
After a frenetic offseason spending spree by general manager Don Sweeney, who secured a handful of free agents in the open market, there isn’t a lot of wiggle room for young prospects to crack a deep, experienced lineup.
“It’s tough … frustrating for young guys coming into a camp like this,” noted veteran left winger Brad Marchand. “You know, you feel like you’re ready, feel like you want to be in the NHL — no one wants to go back to junior or college or the minors — you want to make that jump.”

“We’ve got, what, 14 guys with one-ways up front?” he said, referring to contract status that demands players are paid their full NHL wage. “And 7-8 one-ways [on defense] and two or three goalies.”

If you want to be realistic about it,” said Marchand, “it’s like 97 percent of guys start in the minors.”
A rare exception, of course, was Marchand’s stellar center, Patrice Bergeron, who graduated directly from junior hockey at age 18 to the Boston roster in the fall of 2003 under Mike Sullivan.
What’s a kid to do?
“You’ve got to kind of pick a guy and try to push him out,” he said. “That’s what you do — find a guy you think you can push out, try to lean on him, try to take his spot. The worst thing out of that is that you have a great camp and you’re the next guy that gets called up.

And you’re kind of hoping for an injury at some point. It’s unfortunate, you don’t want to say that, but that’s how you get in this league.”

You want to leave a good statement,” said Marchand, pondering what a rookie prospect has to think in such situations. “You want them to notice you. Leave your mark, so when it does come time for someone to be called up, you’re that guy.”
Cassidy, when asked about Marchand’s targeted approach to landing work as a young prospect, said, “Good for him for figuring out a path. I am sure there are guys who think like that. I know there is, because I’ve had guys say to me, ‘Well, I think I’m better than this guy on your roster.’ And that may be so, as an individual package, but are you a better fit for the team?”

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Loaded with veterans, Bruins open camp with seemingly little roster room for prospects - The Boston Globe
You want to leave a good statement,” said Marchand, pondering what a rookie prospect has to think in such situations. “You want them to notice you. Leave your mark, so when it does come time for someone to be called up, you’re that guy.”
Cassidy, when asked about Marchand’s targeted approach to landing work as a young prospect, said, “Good for him for figuring out a path. I am sure there are guys who think like that. I know there is, because I’ve had guys say to me, ‘Well, I think I’m better than this guy on your roster.’ And that may be so, as an individual package, but are you a better fit for the team?”

Something that fans forget at times.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

The Bruins varsity finally hit the ice Thursday for the first day of training camp in Brighton, with 50-plus roster candidates splitting into two groups under the watchful eye of Bruce Cassidy and his coaching staff.
After a frenetic offseason spending spree by general manager Don Sweeney, who secured a handful of free agents in the open market, there isn’t a lot of wiggle room for young prospects to crack a deep, experienced lineup.
“It’s tough … frustrating for young guys coming into a camp like this,” noted veteran left winger Brad Marchand. “You know, you feel like you’re ready, feel like you want to be in the NHL — no one wants to go back to junior or college or the minors — you want to make that jump.”

“We’ve got, what, 14 guys with one-ways up front?” he said, referring to contract status that demands players are paid their full NHL wage. “And 7-8 one-ways [on defense] and two or three goalies.”

If you want to be realistic about it,” said Marchand, “it’s like 97 percent of guys start in the minors.”
A rare exception, of course, was Marchand’s stellar center, Patrice Bergeron, who graduated directly from junior hockey at age 18 to the Boston roster in the fall of 2003 under Mike Sullivan.
What’s a kid to do?
“You’ve got to kind of pick a guy and try to push him out,” he said. “That’s what you do — find a guy you think you can push out, try to lean on him, try to take his spot. The worst thing out of that is that you have a great camp and you’re the next guy that gets called up.

And you’re kind of hoping for an injury at some point. It’s unfortunate, you don’t want to say that, but that’s how you get in this league.”

Great stuff from Marchand.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Sami Niku Could Be Interesting Bruins Target After Split With Jets

He represents a compelling option for the Boston Bruins, even if it requires a bit of squinting.
Niku, a 2015 seventh-round pick, stunned many when he carved up the AHL with the Manitoba Moose in 2017-18, in turn getting named the league’s top defenseman while getting selected to the first All-Star and All-Rookie teams.
But his play didn’t translate to the NHL, scoring just two goals with eight assists in 54 NHL games with little impact in the defensive zone. Part of his career has been marred by injuries, while at other times he has simply been ineffective. And while the jump from the AHL to NHL can be a bigger challenge for some than others, it wouldn’t be wise to totally write off someone like Niku, who showed such promise from a young age.

Lol
Canadiens signed him.

Le CH embauche un défenseur offensif - TVA Sports

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Jack Studnicka, C/RW; 6-1/195- After a disappointing step backward in 2020-21, the Ontario native stayed in the Boston area over the summer and put in the weight room time, adding more than 15 pounds of muscle onto his lean frame.

As one of the team’s top prospects, the second-round pick in 2017 was expected to be a full-time Bruin a year ago, but was unable to handle the NHL rigors and went back down to Providence. He had trouble finding his way there, too. After a reset, he looks poised and confident to make the Boston roster and establish himself on the lower lines, using that opportunity to work his way up.

“I feel more explosive,” Studnicka said recently when asked about the impact of the added mass. “I wasn’t trying to put on all this bad weight, I was just trying to get faster and more explosive. I think it was just my body’s time- it’s kind of catching up. Fortunately, I weigh a bit more so I’ll hopefully be able to push off guys and hold the puck longer. Just gain more explosiveness.”

Studnicka also used the opportunity to see more of Boston and get more comfortable in the area.
If he can leverage the added weight and perspective along with his skating and natural instincts for the game, Studnicka could become a valuable role player as a rookie. It is wishful thinking in the extreme to believe he can be the second-line center on this team to replace Krejci right away, but he has the tools and upside to eventually be a second-line NHL center if he can keep progressing.

Boston Bruins 2021 main camp: How these x-factor players could surprise (hockeyjournal.com)

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Jack Studnicka, C/RW; 6-1/195- After a disappointing step backward in 2020-21, the Ontario native stayed in the Boston area over the summer and put in the weight room time, adding more than 15 pounds of muscle onto his lean frame.

As one of the team’s top prospects, the second-round pick in 2017 was expected to be a full-time Bruin a year ago, but was unable to handle the NHL rigors and went back down to Providence. He had trouble finding his way there, too. After a reset, he looks poised and confident to make the Boston roster and establish himself on the lower lines, using that opportunity to work his way up.

I feel more explosive,” Studnicka said recently when asked about the impact of the added mass. “I wasn’t trying to put on all this bad weight, I was just trying to get faster and more explosive. I think it was just my body’s time- it’s kind of catching up. Fortunately, I weigh a bit more so I’ll hopefully be able to push off guys and hold the puck longer. Just gain more explosiveness.”

Studnicka also used the opportunity to see more of Boston and get more comfortable in the area.
If he can leverage the added weight and perspective along with his skating and natural instincts for the game, Studnicka could become a valuable role player as a rookie. It is wishful thinking in the extreme to believe he can be the second-line center on this team to replace Krejci right away, but he has the tools and upside to eventually be a second-line NHL center if he can keep progressing.

Boston Bruins 2021 main camp: How these x-factor players could surprise (hockeyjournal.com)
He absolutely is more explosive. He gained weight but the speed is there as is his first step. He's going to be hard to deny a spot if he keeps playing this well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad