Bruce Here It Is: Play Podz at Centre

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Tikkanen was the most infuriating player to play against. That was his most defining characteristic.
i can’t read “defining characteristic” without thinking of this exchange from american wedding

Stifler- Observe the f*cking Stifmeister. What is his defining characteristic?

Jim- He uses the "F" word excessively.

Stifler- Thanks, man. But I also have confidence.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Playing center is harder because you need to be able to handle the physical game down low/around the net/along the boards, Pod can do that.

Playing center is harder because you have more defensive responsibility and need more attention to detail, Pod has that.

The natural skill/talent required to produce and drive offense from the wing, perhaps he doesn't have that on a higher end @ the NHL level.

I really don't see this as much of a stretch. And if a few games in a different position (kind of different - it's not like they're putting him on D) is going to just suddenly break him as a player then there probably wasn't much there to begin with.

That said - although I'm not a proponent of sending guys down once they've already established themselves as NHLers as Pod has, perhaps in this special circumstance it is a good idea to try it in the AHL to see how it looks. Chances are Bruce will want to see that, as well, before trying it himself in the NHL.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Different regime same thing:

"We are planning to place emphasis and resources into development."

"We can't have prospects just sitting, they need to play to develop"

Just waiting for this one:

" We've asked him to take this time to observe the game and he is learning from this."

Then, finally: " He just didn't pan out the way we hoped and we are happy he will get a new opportunity with another organization."

Do PodZ a favour and send him to Abby and convert him to Centre there and then call him back up.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Very disappointed that we seem to be trending to a "we don't understand why Tryamkin didn't think watching Scott Stevens videos would make him a better d man, and why did he go back to the KHL" situation.

FFS, play him on decent lines. And I don't want anyone on here bitching if he runs back to the KHL after the treatment he's getting this year. Calling it now, either give him legitimate chance, or he walks.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I can definitely see some merit behind this idea on a higher level, conceptual basis.

I think one of the weaker points of Podkolzin's game, is that initial stop/start quickness. Which playing on the wing obviously emphasizes, and asks a lot of. Whereas playing at Center, i could see there being a little bit more rhythm and flow to the game for someone like Podz. That could be really beneficial for him, and he seems to have most of the other requisite traits to play in the middle (defensive conscience, physical strength, etc.). Although as a counterpoint, some of Podkolzin's best work seems to come in the corners, and around the net front. As a center, he'd likely see a bit less of those situations and be asked to play relatively more "in space". Not sure how that would all shake out on balance.

But regardless...on a current moment, pragmatic basis...now really doesn't seem like the time to be goofing around with that, experimenting. He's currently riding a clear low point confidence-wise. That's probably not the time to be heaping a whole bunch more extra responsibility and distractions on his plate.

I think it's putting 2-and-2 together, when they don't necessarily go together at the moment. It'd be really nice to have a quality 3rd Center with a bit of offensive upside to slot in there. We have the wingers for it...and Dries tries hard, but just isn't good enough. And it's also really frustrating to see a young player scratched and not really having a chance to develop on the ice, in game situations. It'd be an awesome solution if it were practical. But in the real world, those two facts don't necessarily add up to the "simple" solution proposed here.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Very disappointed that we seem to be trending to a "we don't understand why Tryamkin didn't think watching Scott Stevens videos would make him a better d man, and why did he go back to the KHL" situation.

FFS, play him on decent lines. And I don't want anyone on here bitching if he runs back to the KHL after the treatment he's getting this year. Calling it now, either give him legitimate chance, or he walks.
He’s been given a legitimate chance this season…Unfortunately,..recently..he’s literally played himself out of the lineup…Thats not mistreatment.

He will be back in the lineup….

No, I highly doubt he’ll pout and go back the KHL..Night and day difference between Podz and Tryamkin.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
This thread is futile, we tried to get Green to move Edlers position to goalie for years, coaches just don’t listen to fans.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I really hope that now he's in Abbotsford, Colliton and the Canucks give Podkolzin a long audition at center.

It's shocking to see the decline in his play this season, considering how strong he looked in his rookie season a year ago. Can't help but think that 'Bruce, there it is', really blew it with this player's confidence and development.

As tough as things have been for him, he's no worse than guys like Pearson and Garland.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I really hope that now he's in Abbotsford, Colliton and the Canucks give Podkolzin a long audition at center.

It's shocking to see the decline in his play this season, considering how strong he looked in his rookie season a year ago. Can't help but think that 'Bruce, there it is', really blew it with this player's confidence and development.

As tough as things have been for him, he's no worse than guys like Pearson and Garland.
I have not seen that great decline.

When ever he is in the line up he has played fine. Counting stats have been lacking for sure.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
His tenure in the AHL is the perfect time to allow him to develop as a Centre but it appears the organization has blinkers on that he is going to be Tanner Pearson 2.0.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
His tenure in the AHL is the perfect time to allow him to develop as a Centre but it appears the organization has blinkers on that he is going to be Tanner Pearson 2.0.
Does this mean he will be part of a scoring line that helps us win a cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad