Bruce Garrioch

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I agree. I love it when he an "hometown" Gordie Wilson get into it. Bruce offers a refreshing informative perspective.

To the moderator: isn't this thread "trolling"? slanderous bashing? nothing to do with Sens IMO...should be deleted.

I'm certainly no mod, but I think OP had a legitimate question about his reputation, whether he is regarded as a legitimate "insider" or not.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I agree. I love it when he an "hometown" Gordie Wilson get into it. Bruce offers a refreshing informative perspective.

To the moderator: isn't this thread "trolling"? slanderous bashing? nothing to do with Sens IMO...should be deleted.

As long as people are talking about his role as a journalist/ his credibility / people's opinions on his columns, the thread will stay open.

Fat jokes that bring nothing to the table will be deleted. He' fat. We get it. It has nothing to do with the quality of his writing/ reporting.... I think.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I find him amusing & interesting & easy to approach, he has opinions as does Brennan & both can be fairly controversial. I don't agree with some of it but he isn't always wrong either. At least he sticks up for the Sens from time to time.

John Holmes*

It's just schtick.

These guys aren't journalists. They are columnists. Paid personalities. Controversy sells. They get under people's skin on purpose.

I still call him Garrihack now and then, but at the end of the day he has access to the players, contacts with executives and a forum to broadcast his opinion.

He does what we do, but gets paid for it. You can't begrudge the guy for that.

Unless you a jealous little B :)

sensageddon

Feb 24, 2013
I used to read the sun at work all the time because it was more interesting than the people I worked with. I could remember reading many of his articles and remember him talking about trading spezza a million time. I could never figure out why this guy had a job related to hockey because he knows as much as I do about the sport.

sensageddon

Feb 24, 2013
It's just schtick.

These guys aren't journalists. They are columnists. Paid personalities. Controversy sells. They get under people's skin on purpose.

I still call him Garrihack now and then, but at the end of the day he has access to the players, contacts with executives and a forum to broadcast his opinion.

I've been Bamboozled!!!!!!

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
It's just schtick.

Haha I agree with all of this, especially the bolded bit. And I mean it's not like he takes away from a legitimate local insider, it's either him or someone worse to dole out a daily dose of speculative chatter.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
When Bruce and Don started their jobs, it was all about putting pen to paper.

The sports world has evolved. Many sportswriters are being asked to do many things that they were not intended to do. Writing an article is a lot different than getting on a live mic and doing pre/post-game shows.

Really, could you imaging how boring the NHL season would be if we were to only here about 100% signed and delivered trades? All this trade stuff is made by the writers to keep our interest going...and for them to sell papers.

It's all good people.
Long live Garrioch!

barabr10

UM ya that;s right
Jul 4, 2011
ottawa
I just googled his name, the first few links says "Bruce Garrioch is an award-winning journalist and a must-read in the hockey community." Must be a legit guy right?

Just Kidding

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I follow him on twitter because he's fairly prompt with Sens updates on injuries etc. Made the mistake of reading one of his columns.. Never returned to one again.

Tape2Tape

Aug 18, 2010
"If I sneezed right now, Bruce Garrioch would find a rumour in the mist." - John Muckler.

One of my favourite lines and perfectly sums up Garrioch.

The guy is also a pig. He was double ******* steak dinners at a charity dinner I saw him at.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
He broke a HUGE rumour on twitter this morning:
Apparently he is talking to sources and a few teams may be looking for forwards as well - stay tuned.

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 55m
Several teams trying to add defencemen: Boston and New York Rangers among them.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
He broke a HUGE rumour on twitter this morning:
Apparently he is talking to sources and a few teams may be looking for forwards as well - stay tuned.

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 55m
Several teams trying to add defencemen: Boston and New York Rangers among them.

EARTH-SHATTERING! I can't wait for his next morsel of information!

"Several teams looking to make trades to improve their teams. Some teams will be active today. Some may not. Look for some trades to happen."

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Looking forward to when Ottawa starts getting some real reporter's and radio hosts...also as has been said i would imagine it would be pretty offensive to refer to the majority in Ottawa's media as "journalists"....which de-values the real professionals!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So far it's just you. I would think it's a lot harder to slag someone anonymously over the internet if you've actually met them in person.

They are real people with real lives, they also happen to write for the city paper. Some people like their opinions & some don't, it's like anything else, you take what you like & discard what you don't. There's no reason to take anything in sport & hockey seriously when you are not really involved personally. I have learned to enjoy it & not take anything personally, I don`t always agree or disagree.

I remember in the very early yrs calling into the Team 1200 & having an argument with Garrioch. He was crapping on the team in their 2nd yr for not being very good & I was defending the team as a franchise team & it will take some time. :laugh:

WilderPegasus*

I remember in the very early yrs calling into the Team 1200 & having an argument with Garrioch. He was crapping on the team in their 2nd yr for not being very good & I was defending the team as a franchise team & it will take some time. :laugh:

Stop making stuff up. Team 1200 wasn't around in the Senators second season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Stop making stuff up. Team 1200 wasn't around in the Senators second season.

It may have not been called the Team 1200 in those days but CFRA certainly was the Sens radio channel & Dean & Gordie were doing the games & they had pre & post game shows as they do today. Were you around back then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad