Bruce Garrioch

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Here is my question: if it's clear that everybody hates Garrioch, why doesn't he get fired?

Controversy sells? Not really sure. I honestly would think that this city would be able to get some decent journalists to cover the Sens -- younger ones too. Old boys club?

I like him a lot. He does have very good sources and I like his writing style. Not sure why you guys are calling him arrogant.... it's not true.

Please...the guy screams of arrogance any time he's on the radio or TV, and when called on his total lack of hockey knowledge he just deflects. I remember a specific instance on the pre-game show a while back where he was arguing with Dave Gross (maybe it was AJ) about whether or not Phaneuf should have fought a goonish plug from the other team. Garrioch was so obnoxious I had to turn off the station for a bit. When called on why Toronto's captain and minutes leader should take himself off the ice for a guy that doesn't contribute at all Garrioch was just like 'he should have fought!! I thought you liked a good fight!!!' and then when asked if he expected Alfredsson to fight in the same situation Garrioch just went silent...then kept bringing it up over and over in the show.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Wait...who goes to the ottawasun to read garrioch? The only reason i ever read the ottawa sun is because it's free for me to read...and even at that, i do it just for the laughs.

They make money on hits - regardless of why you go there

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
They make money on hits - regardless of why you go there

No,no. I get free printed copies. I don't go to the website. I'm wondering who in the right mind goes to the website, or buys the paper, to see what garrioch has to say.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I'm not a fan of his in the slightest. But I'm not going to bash him, because he's trying to make a living. He does what he needs to do to keep people interested in his articles.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
He is a great personality to have around the team and the city... Sure most of his stuff doesnt end up happening but that doesnt mean they were never discussed... Big difference between that and just straight up lying...

He gets even more flack because he is fat..

I like him... Brings a different dimension on the pre game shows as well

This opinion must be the extreme minority...

As an "hockey analyst" his opinions are worthless. As a writer, I've seen chimpanzees put together better columns.

Milan the God*

I'm not a fan of his in the slightest. But I'm not going to bash him, because he's trying to make a living. He does what he needs to do to keep people interested in his articles.

While this is true, the stage he writes on is high pressure where you have to be accurate with your rumors or you will face criticism.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I like big Bruce and to be honst he has far more connections then people give him credit for.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
While this is true, the stage he writes on is high pressure where you have to be accurate with your rumors or you will face criticism.

Criticism is one thing, but it seems like most people just like to rag on the guy because he is over weight.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I thought that was extremely mean, and unprofessional on MacLean's part. He basically said, "Hey you are fat".

I doubt that he would get that treatment if he wasn't such a ****** himself. What goes around comes around. There are some other analysts and writers that are not exactly in the best shape, or the best looking, but they don't get those jabs all the time because they are respectful individuals.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Criticism is one thing, but it seems like most people just like to rag on the guy because he is over weight.

There's a bunch of respected hockey reporters who are overweight. Some people make fun of Bruce for it but it certainly isn't the reason he isn't well respected.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Not a big fan, mostly because he is a rumour monger, and doesn't really provide any insight on the team, but given most of his articles are written close to where Don Brennan writes, he looks very good by comparison. Brennan is basically the bottom feeder of the entire hockey media. Bruce is a step or two up from the bottom.

The other thing with Garrioch, is once he doesn't like a guy, he goes after him hard at every turn, and with every chance. That's the only real unprofessional part about him. Unless you consider making rumours up, and publishing them.

Milan the God*

Bob McKenzie looks overweight yet he's one of the most respected journalists/hockey analysts out there.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Once of the underreported stories of Elliott's time here in Ottawa is that he was a bit of an arrogant $#%$, and not the most well loved guy either in the room or by the media. Now, goalies tend to be a bit of a different breed, but Elliott hadn't done much to warrant carrying around an attitude like that. I'm sure Garrioch got tired of getting the cold shoulder from the guy time after time.

Garrioch has been vindicated on Elliott. Dude is back to being Brian Elliott, and is in the AHL where he belongs. No NHL team would touch him when he was offered around for free by the Blues a few weeks ago.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Once of the underreported stories of Elliott's time here in Ottawa is that he was a bit of an arrogant $#%$, and not the most well loved guy either in the room or by the media. Now, goalies tend to be a bit of a different breed, but Elliott hadn't done much to warrant carrying around an attitude like that. I'm sure Garrioch got tired of getting the cold shoulder from the guy time after time.

Garrioch has been vindicated on Elliott. Dude is back to being Brian Elliott, and is in the AHL where he belongs. No NHL team would touch him when he was offered around for free by the Blues a few weeks ago.

He was on a conditioning stint. He's back with the Blues.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I find him entertaining but filter everything he says with other sources (as a check and balance). Love it when he stirs the pot on the pregame shows.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I like big Bruce and to be honst he has far more connections then people give him credit for.

He gets credit for having zero connections, when in fact, he has two. :sarcasm:

I like him a lot. He does have very good sources and I like his writing style. Not sure why you guys are calling him arrogant.... it's not true.

Okay, this is either Bruce or Brennan. Given the choice, I hope it's Bruce.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
I find him entertaining but filter everything he says with other sources (as a check and balance). Love it when he stirs the pot on the pregame shows.

I agree. I love it when he an "hometown" Gordie Wilson get into it. Bruce offers a refreshing informative perspective.

To the moderator: isn't this thread "trolling"? slanderous bashing? nothing to do with Sens IMO...should be deleted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad