Management Bruce Cassidy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Cassidy needs to die with Stafford on Krejci's wing,the revolving door of 4th liners next to Krejci does no one any good. A lack of talent has come home to roost.

Agreed. It makes absolutely zero sense. I also don't understand why Stafford played LW and Vatrano RW. Why not put them on their natural sides?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Agreed. It makes absolutely zero sense. I also don't understand why Stafford played LW and Vatrano RW. Why not put them on their natural sides?

I was always under the impression Vatrano was a RW? :dunno:

But yes I agree with you. Schaller playing second line LW in the playoffs is pretty horrid.

Cassidy has been a revelation for this team, but losing four straight in the playoffs does make you think. Why he's still trotting Spooner out there is beyond me as well.

Still think they need to scratch Spooner and move Backes to 3C, strong down the middle 1 through 4.

Marchand - Bergeron - Vatrano/Stafford
Stafford/Vatrano - Krejci - Pastrnak
Schaller/Beleskey - Backes - Kuraly
Nash - Moore - Acciari

Personally I think Vatrano would work better than Stafford with Marchand/Bergeron. He got a ton of chances last time he played with Bergeron, even if he didn't bury any.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
From my view,Spooner has been battling,but the stymying system has rendered him ineffective as it has many others. This team is lacking both front and backend talent. Ottawa is a fairly good team,nothing special, and it is negating anything the Bruins have.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Marchand - Bergeron - Stafford
Pasternak - Krecji - Cehlarik
Vatrano - Backes - Kurlay
Moore - Nash - Accari

Dump Spooner. We get no PP, so he is useless.
Kurlay on his off wing, but he has to be better than Belesky, Hayes.

You the BB website ( https://www.nhl.com/bruins/roster )
has the B's having 10 centers on the roster. :laugh:

I'm thinking Hayes makes an appearance for game 5.
They do seem to win more often with him in the line up, inexplicably.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
While Cassidy certainly got a good amount of the team, they still did not fare well on the whole against the better teams. There are only so many ways to rearrange the lines given the lacking roster. Then throw in the injuries he has had to deal with in the playoffs. I'm not sure what he is supposed to do with this bunch when he has the likes of complete underachievers such as Hayes, Beleskey, and Spooner, players who are just not that great at hockey such as most of the bottom six, young guys who are still borderline AHL/NHL players, and a decimated d-corps. On top of all of that some of the stars are failing to produce. Honestly, I think the man has been a bit of a miracle worker to even have the Bs in the position to where they could be winning this series had a couple breaks gone in their favor.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If we still had Clode at the helm, we'd probably have already won this series, but would lose all the rest.

With Cassidy at the helm, we can't win this series, but if we had, may have won some of the rest.

If they had Claude they are picking 7th

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
If we still had Clode at the helm, we'd probably have already won this series, but would lose all the rest.

With Cassidy at the helm, we can't win this series, but if we had, may have won some of the rest.

They don't even make the playoffs with Claude at the helm IMO.

EDIT: DKH beat me to it.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Too Many Men penalties are on the coach. This is inexcusable in the last 5 min of a playoff game down 1-0. And this isn't the first one. I think this is 4th or 5th of the Cassidy coaching era.

I was impressed with the changes when he took over but that may have just been the normal players reaction to a coaching change.

I don't understand why he kept using Liles towards the end of the season but in the playoffs he's getting 13 min and that's with only 5 D. Liles clearly can't cut it but he keeps putting him in the lineup. Morrow is far better and his ice time at over 20 min demonstrates that but he was kept out until he became the 9th dman. He used Liles on the PK instead of McAvoy which is just silly. O'Gara was far better than Liles in his NHL stint but Cassidy's not using him either.

I would look outside the organization for a new coach. Maybe the Providence College coach.

Also, with probably just 1 game left, I would fit as many rookies into this game as possible to show them what they need to train and prepare for. Lauzon (can play up to 9 games), DeBrusk, Cehlarik, and JFK should all play this last game.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Too Many Men penalties are on the coach. This is inexcusable in the last 5 min of a playoff game down 1-0. And this isn't the first one. I think this is 4th or 5th of the Cassidy coaching era.

I was impressed with the changes when he took over but that may have just been the normal players reaction to a coaching change.

I don't understand why he kept using Liles towards the end of the season but in the playoffs he's getting 13 min and that's with only 5 D. Liles clearly can't cut it but he keeps putting him in the lineup. Morrow is far better and his ice time at over 20 min demonstrates that but he was kept out until he became the 9th dman. He used Liles on the PK instead of McAvoy which is just silly. O'Gara was far better than Liles in his NHL stint but Cassidy's not using him either.

I would look outside the organization for a new coach. Maybe the Providence College coach.

Also, with probably just 1 game left, I would fit as many rookies into this game as possible to show them what they need to train and prepare for. Lauzon (can play up to 9 games), DeBrusk, Cehlarik, and JFK should all play this last game.

Don't quit your day job.:laugh:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Last I checked it is on the assistant coaches.

...and don't quit your day job.

Last edited:

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Same assistant coaches as under Julien except for Cassidy. Buck stops with him.

And brrrrr, those are some sick burns. You want to add some '-not!'s and 'That's what she said!'s too?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I don't know if I make him full-time head coach. I'm left feeling the Bruins could find someone better even though he has done an admirable job with this patchwork D in the playoffs.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

the assistant coach NOT the head coaches;)

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I'm not sold on Cassidy...

I think this is still 90% Julien's team. Systems wise, offensively and defensively they're the same team from goal line to goal line. The one tweak Cassidy made to the system was to stress more plays below the goal line while Julien liked more high plays and high rotations (like Ottawa is using). So what changes will Cassidy make this off-season when he has time to implement his systems? Will the changes be good or bad?

The other big difference between Julien and Cassidy is that Cassidy is much more willing to tweak the lineup in-game. Julien believed in giving players time to work through their struggles. I think that built loyalty with players but I also think it led to complacency. Cassidy is quick to make changes and while that kept everyone on their toes in the short term, will it wear thin quickly? I think fans much prefer Cassidy's approach but I'm not convinced it will get the most out of the players long term.

I also think Boucher is outcoaching Cassidy in this series. That's to be expected, Boucher has some experience in the post-season now, and he's clearly picked up Cassidy's preference for low plays, so he has their D jumping off net front coverage early to pick off passes down low. We are having trouble maintaining any type of sustained offensive pressure because of this and there doesn't seem to be an adjustment coming, other than line combination changes. I also think Boucher is winning the matchup battle and has done a good job of limiting Marchand's time and space.

Last but not least, Cassidy was NOT a kid friendly coach these last 20 games. Every kid on this team played less under BC than under CJ. Cassidy basically turned Spooer/Vatrano into 4th liners and promoted Moore and Nash to the 3rd line. He gave Kevan Miller and Adam McQuaid more ice time... All that won him games so I'm not complaining, but I am concerned about how he'll manage the bench going forward, knowing that there is an influx of young talent on the way. If there are 4 or 5 rookies on this team next year, are they going to be given the ice time to develop, or will he keep pushing them down the lineup?

At the end of the day, I think I'd keep my options open this summer. See who's available and if Cassidy still looks like the best fit, offer him a 1 year deal. Then he can answer these questions and we'll know what we're buying at this time next year.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I'm not sold on Cassidy...

I think this is still 90% Julien's team. Systems wise, offensively and defensively they're the same team from goal line to goal line. The one tweak Cassidy made to the system was to stress more plays below the goal line while Julien liked more high plays and high rotations (like Ottawa is using). So what changes will Cassidy make this off-season when he has time to implement his systems? Will the changes be good or bad?

The other big difference between Julien and Cassidy is that Cassidy is much more willing to tweak the lineup in-game. Julien believed in giving players time to work through their struggles. I think that built loyalty with players but I also think it led to complacency. Cassidy is quick to make changes and while that kept everyone on their toes in the short term, will it wear thin quickly? I think fans much prefer Cassidy's approach but I'm not convinced it will get the most out of the players long term.

I also think Boucher is outcoaching Cassidy in this series. That's to be expected, Boucher has some experience in the post-season now, and he's clearly picked up Cassidy's preference for low plays, so he has their D jumping off net front coverage early to pick off passes down low. We are having trouble maintaining any type of sustained offensive pressure because of this and there doesn't seem to be an adjustment coming, other than line combination changes. I also think Boucher is winning the matchup battle and has done a good job of limiting Marchand's time and space.

Last but not least, Cassidy was NOT a kid friendly coach these last 20 games. Every kid on this team played less under BC than under CJ. Cassidy basically turned Spooer/Vatrano into 4th liners and promoted Moore and Nash to the 3rd line. He gave Kevan Miller and Adam McQuaid more ice time... All that won him games so I'm not complaining, but I am concerned about how he'll manage the bench going forward, knowing that there is an influx of young talent on the way. If there are 4 or 5 rookies on this team next year, are they going to be given the ice time to develop, or will he keep pushing them down the lineup?

At the end of the day, I think I'd keep my options open this summer. See who's available and if Cassidy still looks like the best fit, offer him a 1 year deal. Then he can answer these questions and we'll know what we're buying at this time next year.
I believe that is why DS said he wasn't ready to hand him the keys!
I like what he has done and give him all the credit in getting us in the playoffs, but Dan Bylsma just became available along with Bob Hartley and probably a few I'm forgetting.
So I'm sure DS will do his due diligence and interview others along with BC and make a choice that works with his idea of this team with the youngens coming in !

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I hope all options are explored before a choice is made but I wouldn't be upset to see Cassidy get the gig. He's done some good things with this team, I wouldn't read to much into handling of or youth , he had to get us into the playoffs and then try to win without his 2,3,4 and 6 D so tough choices had to be made. It's not like the youth has been tearing it up anyway.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I like what he has done and give him all the credit in getting us in the playoffs, but Dan Bylsma just became available along with Bob Hartley and probably a few I'm forgetting.
So I'm sure DS will do his due diligence and interview others along with BC and make a choice that works with his idea of this team with the youngens coming in !

Your examples are just not what they need. Both have been fired more times than I can count. Not many coaches out there that will do better than BC. And I'm not a big fan of his. He got the team in the post season, that's for sure. He's not perfect. If they find someone along the lines of the Celtics coach, maybe. But who? Grass isn't greener on the other side. I think he's s shoe in IMO.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Hartley and/or Bylsma? Um, no thanks. Yeah yeah, I get it, both former Cup winners but I think the B`s would be better off with keeping Cassidy or finding a coach out there who isn`t from the recycle bin

I have only two issues with Cassidy that are a bit worrisome keeping in mind I`m grateful for him injecting some form of entertaining hockey and helping this team reach the playoffs, haven`t been entertained in the playoffs but..

I have yet to see him devise a game plan that is different in attacking the Sens, Julien often got hammered here for being too stubborn to sit a player or make in-game adjustments and while I have appreciated Cassidy for not being shy to shift a player up or down the lineup and/or pasting them to the bench, I don`t see the changes made in game

He does have some Julien in him though, when Beleskey is dressed, he`s on the PP which I`ll never understand. Why not a kid like Acciari who, at the very least can take and give a pass if needed but more importantly, will battle his b***s off to make life miserable for Anderson where Beleskey bring zippo

Now, all that said, I still like Butch, still not ready to hand him the keys without exploring all options out there NOT named Bylsma or Hartley

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This place is hilarious to me. Cassidy earned the job by righting the ship and getting this collection of retreads and misfits to the playoffs. While the series versus the Sens may not be going the way we all want it, there are obvious reasons why. None of which are Cassidy's fault. He should get the gig and there shouldn't be a question about it.

And I say that as a person that was ambivalent about Cassidy getting named the interim coach. He won me over with the job he did down the stretch. The team faced real adversity and unlike the two previous years where they folded, this time they rallied. It's his job, IMO.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This place is hilarious to me. Cassidy earned the job by righting the ship and getting this collection of retreads and misfits to the playoffs. While the series versus the Sens may not be going the way we all want it, there are obvious reasons why. None of which are Cassidy's fault. He should get the gig and there shouldn't be a question about it.

And I say that as a person that was ambivalent about Cassidy getting named the interim coach. He won me over with the job he did down the stretch. The team faced real adversity and unlike the two previous years where they folded, this time they rallied. It's his job, IMO.

Agreed with all of what you said friend but I`m still one who typically likes to explore options if/when they are there. That said, I would wind up having 0 issues with Cassidy being named full time coach if that`s the way they go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad