NHL Bruce Cassidy wins the Jack Adams Award ( Coach of the Year )

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Glad Cassidy won this award but this is absolutely empty trophy given how the Bruins underachieved after winning the President's Trophy.

Reactions: nORRis8

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Agreed. Regardless, he is in the upper echelon of coaches and good for him to have a trophy to prove it. Not the trophy he ultimately wants, of course, but still an achievement very few get.

At the very least he has ensured his employability in the NHL till he decides he wants to do something else.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Me: Bruce Cassidy won ‘Coach of the Year.’

Mrs. 103: Really? They didn’t do that great in the playoffs. I thought they were good in the regular season, though.

Me: It’s a regular season award.

Mrs. 103: Oh, okay. Well, then I guess he certainly deserves it. And the Bruins would never get rid of a coach who won ‘Coach of the Year,’ right?

Me: If there was ever a team that would fire the ‘Coach of the Year,’ it would be the Bruins.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Congrats to Bruce Cassidy!

As Boston Bruins' fans, we knew he was a leader and a good coach and deserved this award. We knew that his hands were tied due to lack of offensive depth but still had the best record during the regular season. He is our guy, and now everyone knows how good he is.

Go, Bruce, enjoy your acknowledgment.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The only joke is this post. Nothing you say is factual. Actually whenever you complain about Cassidy it makes you look like you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. You’ve created this idea in your head that he sucks because he doesn’t ice a lineup you want?

That’s ridiculous and you know it.
Did he get out coached this year and two years ago by Cooper? How about last year by Berube?

Yes I hate his love of passive, soft hockey but how does he do in making adjustments during games? How about during series when his style isn't working and teams have figured out hitting the Bruins defense leads to multiple turnovers and mistakes? Adjusting the PK or power play when it isn't working? Making top 6 adjustments instead of replacing Lindholm with Nordstrom? Maybe shaking up the top line when the Blues were eating it alive?

Is the teams current situation all his fault? No, most of that falls on Sweeney and the scouting but has Cassidy really gotten the best out of this team?

Reactions: capecodder

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Did he get out coached this year and two years ago by Cooper? How about last year by Berube?

Yes I hate his love of passive, soft hockey but how does he do in making adjustments during games? How about during series when his style isn't working and teams have figured out hitting the Bruins defense leads to multiple turnovers and mistakes? Adjusting the PK or power play when it isn't working? Making top 6 adjustments instead of replacing Lindholm with Nordstrom? Maybe shaking up the top line when the Blues were eating it alive?

Is the teams current situation all his fault? No, most of that falls on Sweeney and the scouting but has Cassidy really gotten the best out of this team?

He does a lot more than you lead on to. You don’t luck into his win percentage as a coach since coming here. He’s been excellent and excellent with some serious roster issues over his tenure.

Reactions: OV

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He does a lot more than you lead on to. You don’t luck into his win percentage as a coach since coming here. He’s been excellent and excellent with some serious roster issues over his tenure.
Fair, but how about the playoffs? Do you think Berube did a better job at getting calls after game 2 last year and made better adjustments? I really don't think he could have done anything this year vs Tampa but Cooper seemed a step ahead of him, the Tampa team is built for the playoffs, they learned after last year vs Columbus you need some grit in the playoffs, the Bruins are built for the regular season, which falls on Sweeney

Reactions: capecodder

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Fair, but how about the playoffs? Do you think Berube did a better job at getting calls after game 2 last year and made better adjustments? I really don't think he could have done anything this year vs Tampa but Cooper seemed a step ahead of him, the Tampa team is built for the playoffs, they learned after last year vs Columbus you need some grit in the playoffs, the Bruins are built for the regular season, which falls on Sweeney

Berube did. He also whine like a bitch and changed how the series was called. That’s one thing with Cassidy I do not like. Too calm. I want him to lose his cool a little when needed. But Berube is also a damn good choice. Cooper is too. I don’t think the examples given are great because they’re good choices too. If Brind’Amour was going to work on Bruce in the playoffs too then I’d agree with you that maybe stuff needs to change. RBA is not someone I view as a good coach. Cassidy coached the Bruins twice to victories over the Leafs, coaches by one of the best coaches in the league at the time.

Sweeney definitely gets blame for the playoff quality in the roster. It’s exactly that. Built for only the regular season. I will bring up one game away from a SC in ‘19 but if the roster was better built with more playoff style guys, maybe they win. But maybe they’re not even in the finals. You change one thing it can drastically change everything else so I try to stay away from it. I would like to see some playoff style guys added.

Reactions: Fenian24

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Berube did. He also whine like a bitch and changed how the series was called. That’s one thing with Cassidy I do not like. Too calm. I want him to lose his cool a little when needed. But Berube is also a damn good choice. Cooper is too. I don’t think the examples given are great because they’re good choices too. If Brind’Amour was going to work on Bruce in the playoffs too then I’d agree with you that maybe stuff needs to change. RBA is not someone I view as a good coach. Cassidy coached the Bruins twice to victories over the Leafs, coaches by one of the best coaches in the league at the time.

Sweeney definitely gets blame for the playoff quality in the roster. It’s exactly that. Built for only the regular season. I will bring up one game away from a SC in ‘19 but if the roster was better built with more playoff style guys, maybe they win. But maybe they’re not even in the finals. You change one thing it can drastically change everything else so I try to stay away from it. I would like to see some playoff style guys added.
Agree with all of this, especially Berubes bitching, I found it "distasteful" but sadly effective.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

right one thing can swing the outcome.

like players that ARE on the ice performing well enough to win. Step up. Answer the bell. Battle through. Someone who is underperforming—perform!

organization wins. Organization loses. It’s not squarely on Butch. That’s BS.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Agree with all of this, especially Berubes bitching, I found it "distasteful" but sadly effective.

First time in HFB history we’ve come to an agreement (somewhat). It’s definitely 2020. Haha

One thing I think Bruce excels at is defenseman. He coached them up in Providence and here in Boston. I think he gets the best out of them for the most part. He’s not afraid to make substitutions and he wasn’t shy about moving Chara around. He seems more hesitant on forward changes unless it involves a more offensive player (like Bjork).

Reactions: Fenian24

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
First time in HFB history we’ve come to an agreement (somewhat). It’s definitely 2020. Haha

One thing I think Bruce excels at is defenseman. He coached them up in Providence and here in Boston. I think he gets the best out of them for the most part. He’s not afraid to make substitutions and he wasn’t shy about moving Chara around. He seems more hesitant on forward changes unless it involves a more offensive player (like Bjork).
Yeah, the meteorite isn't going to miss, I agree he did a great job coaching the D in Providence and if the team is set at one position going forward it's D. Lauzon, Clifton, Vaakanien, MacAvoy, Carlo and Grizz is a solid D for years to come if the first three continue there development

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yeah, the meteorite isn't going to miss, I agree he did a great job coaching the D in Providence and if the team is set at one position going forward it's D. Lauzon, Clifton, Vaakanien, MacAvoy, Carlo and Grizz is a solid D for years to come if the first three continue there development

same can be said for Sweeney and co. When it comes to scouting defense and picking defense. Now what’s the forward issue and let’s find some forward thinking scouts.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
Well deserved
Congrats coach !
Now if we can get a gm who stop to get 3rd and 4th liners in all trade and draft....

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Glad Cassidy won this award but this is absolutely empty trophy given how the Bruins underachieved after winning the President's Trophy.

They lost their goalie. They tied 2 games up late to force OT and won a game.

We might have stolen that series with no bubble nonsense and Rask if we got to be the 1 seed.

It was a close series regardless its just clear that factoring in the goaltending Tampa was better. Have you seen what they are doing to NYI?

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

We might have stolen that series with no bubble nonsense and Rask if we got to be the 1 seed.

It was a close series regardless its just clear that factoring in the goaltending Tampa was better. Have you seen what they are doing to NYI?

That's not just simply down to goaltending. Tampa is better period based on how they are constructed as a team. Pains me to say because I hate the Lightning. But it is the truth.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
That's not just simply down to goaltending. Tampa is better period based on how they are constructed as a team. Pains me to say because I hate the Lightning. But it is the truth.

Then why don't they have a Cup to show for it?

We all were wary of seeing them in the playoffs all year. But noone had a clue that Rask would be out AND Vasilevsky would kick it up a notch to a level we've never seen.

We tied 2 games up late in the 3rd and won Game 1 easily. There isn't a huge gap. Just guess what Chara is no longer better than Hedman. Hes worse than Bogosian and Schenn their 7th D when everyones healthy.

You want to widen the gap by adding 'toughness' like Backes/Beleskey/Ritchies? Lolololololololol.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Then why don't they have a Cup to show for it?

We all were wary of seeing them in the playoffs all year. But noone had a clue that Rask would be out AND Vasilevsky would kick it up a notch to a level we've never seen.

We tied 2 games up late in the 3rd and won Game 1 easily. There isn't a huge gap. Just guess what Chara is no longer better than Hedman. Hes worse than Bogosian and Schenn their 7th D when everyones healthy.

You want to widen the gap by adding 'toughness' like Backes/Beleskey/Ritchies? Lolololololololol.

Because they are chokers in big moments. That's why. Whether it's under performing against the Blackhawks in the Cup Finals, missing the playoffs entirely like in 2017, puking on their skates when they were 3-2 up on both the Capitals and the Penguins, or getting surprise swept by the Blue Jackets after recording the best record in the NHL since the late 90s Red Wings. This team has a propensity for blowing it at inopportune times. I can't explain or quantify it. They just do.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

:laugh: Yeah what kind of a loser team gets beat by six goals in a playoff game? :laugh: Islanders - buncha losers

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Cassidy’s been pretty vocal about his frustrations with the team of late and they’ve laid a couple of the worst efforts I’ve seen in a long time.

Obviously they’re short handed, and the season is an anomaly, and he’s proven himself as a real good NHL coach, but there also seems to be a pretty big and growing contingent of players that might be tuning him out. Not sure a rental or 3 will fix that. Maybe a full healthy roster would get that job done but wait and see isn’t much of a plan.

I don’t mind seeing them drop a few games but the effort and focus just isn’t there on a consistent basis and is just rotten too often. A good chunk of that blame falls at the feet of the coach.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Cassidy’s been pretty vocal about his frustrations with the team of late and they’ve laid a couple of the worst efforts I’ve seen in a long time.

Obviously they’re short handed, and the season is an anomaly, and he’s proven himself as a real good NHL coach, but there also seems to be a pretty big and growing contingent of players that might be tuning him out. Not sure a rental or 3 will fix that. Maybe a full healthy roster would get that job done but wait and see isn’t much of a plan.

I don’t mind seeing them drop a few games but the effort and focus just isn’t there on a consistent basis and is just rotten too often. A good chunk of that blame falls at the feet of the coach.

Are you suggesting a coaching change?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad