Management Bruce Cassidy II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

not sure that this wasn`t how many Caps players felt about Butch when he last stood behind a NHL bench. He (BB) was hardly the only player from that team who had less than kind things to say about him.

I think it was a case where a young coach took on far more than he could handle, struggled in communicating with the players and simply wasn`t ready for the NHL gig

Flash forward a ton of years, loads of dues paying in the AHL and I think even Butch would look at his time in Washington and be able to identify many areas in which he could have handled things better

Now, that was a long time ago and Bates "call me JAG" Battaglia needs to let it go

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
not sure that this wasn`t how many Caps players felt about Butch when he last stood behind a NHL bench. He (BB) was hardly the only player from that team who had less than kind things to say about him.

I think it was a case where a young coach took on far more than he could handle, struggled in communicating with the players and simply wasn`t ready for the NHL gig

Flash forward a ton of years, loads of dues paying in the AHL and I think even Butch would look at his time in Washington and be able to identify many areas in which he could have handled things better

Now, that was a long time ago and Bates "call me JAG" Battaglia needs to let it go

Again, yes. But it was ages ago and he's clearly made improvements. Pretty shitty way to crap on someone who is enjoying some success and put in the work to get there. Especially when the player is self admitted ignorant to anything Cassidy has done lately, or what's going on in the NHL in general.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Again, yes. But it was ages ago and he's clearly made improvements. Pretty ****ty way to crap on someone who is enjoying some success and put in the work to get there. Especially when the player is self admitted ignorant to anything Cassidy has done lately, or what's going on in the NHL in general.

for sure, Bates just bitter he`s selling used Pinto`s these days

Reactions: Strafer

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
A LOT of jealousy! A LOT! Battaglia = LOSER!

Exactly, Battaglia sucked at hockey, gave it everything he had but at the end of the day he was a marginal player at best. Cassidy probably told him him the truth and sometimes the truth hurts.

Not sure how he can say the Bruins succeeded in spite of Cassidy and then say he he hasn't been following. Well if you haven't been following, how would you know?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Exactly, Battaglia sucked at hockey, gave it everything he had but at the end of the day he was a marginal player at best. Cassidy probably told him him the truth and sometimes the truth hurts.

Not sure how he can say the Bruins succeeded in spite of Cassidy and then say he he hasn't been following. Well if you haven't been following, how would you know?
Right.
Did the reporter who interviewed him put a query on Craigslist asking:
"If you ever played for Butch Cassidy could you PLEASE call me and grant me an interview, I'll pay you $20.00 USD for your story!"

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Heard Bates Battagula (sp) talk about Cassidy in his time with him in Washington on a podcast yesterday

Had zero good things to say about him, called him a sh*t, said he never knew what he was doing and that “basically everything” was wrong with him and couldn’t believe he was still coaching when he saw his face on tv the other night during a game

Kudos to Cassidy for reinventing himself since then
Bates Battaglia thinks "Well, I was a pretty average hockey player and by all accounts a fairly unattractive man. I have no real prospects...... what to do, what to do. I know!!! I'll steal Mike Commodore's schtick."

Too late to the party Bates. It's been done already, nobody gave more than a quick chuckle to Commodore's rants, and nobody cares who you are or what you have to say. At least Commodore has a bit of humor to add to the equation.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Sensationalized “news” stories to tear down a successful person?

How surprising. Welcome to “journalism” in the social media age.

Couldn't agree more.

Went from town crier (who had to show some balls if he wanted to take a controversial stand)
To newspaper articles that had to pass an editor to determine if it was actually newsworthy.
To the social media cesspool where there is almost zero barriers to entry for a seemingly endless pool of idiots say the most egregious things possible in order to get re-tweeted.

Social media does some awesome things but it has also enabled "road rage" mentality to take hold and given fools worldwide a platform to say foolish things.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I’m shocked with the amount of attention this clown Battaglia’s uneducated opinion has picked up.

Would have loved to see Butch’s immediate reaction to it.

Probably some laughter involved.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Bates Battaglia thinks "Well, I was a pretty average hockey player and by all accounts a fairly unattractive man. I have no real prospects...... what to do, what to do. I know!!! I'll steal Mike Commodore's schtick."

Too late to the party Bates. It's been done already, nobody gave more than a quick chuckle to Commodore's rants, and nobody cares who you are or what you have to say. At least Commodore has a bit of humor to add to the equation.

To be fair, he was a guest on the podcast and they asked him about Cassidy. It’s not like he’s doing this every day or week or whatever. So I don’t see how that’s stealing a shtick

Now whether or not him being an average hockey player fed into his opinion of Cassidy is certainly up for debate, but by all accounts, Cassidy was indeed a terrible coach almost 20 years ago now.

Where bates gets it totally wrong is saying things like “I can’t believe he’s a coach now/idk maybe he’s gotten it together/I don’t see it”

As if people can’t change and grow, and more to the point, his body of work in that time span speaks for itself.

If bates had real knowledge of the current nhl he’d see the bruins are where they are in large part because of Bruce and not in spite of him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bruce got another Jack Adams nomination this year

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Bates Battaglia

"Oh yeah, piece of [expletive]," said Battaglia, who played for Cassidy during his time as a member of the Washington Capitals. "Tip to tail. Never liked that guy. I don’t know how he is still a coach. It boggles my mind. I honestly didn’t even know he was still coaching."
"I randomly saw a highlight… as you can I tell I don’t follow a whole lot, I watch some but I’m not a diehard.. but I saw him on the screen and I couldn’t believe it," Battaglia said as per 98.5 The Sports Hub. "It just shows how good Boston is, that they’re playing despite him."

"Unprepared," Battaglia said. "Never knew what we were doing. Just unorganized. Maybe things have changed. I hope they have. But that was not my bread and butter there with him."
Just for context... this podcast had more conversation surrounding Battaglia’s success in his sex life than it did hockey. This is just a bunch of former NHL players shooting the s***. Like sitting down at a bar and BSing about what life was like in professional hockey.

Battaglia wasn’t taking a stage to denounce anyone. He was having a casual conversation with a couple of other “dudes”. Media and Twitter and all of that other shit take it out of context.

He didn’t like Cassidy. I’m sure he’s not the only one. And I’m also sure that those people are vastly outnumbered.

It’s a non-story.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
To be fair, he was a guest on the podcast and they asked him about Cassidy. It’s not like he’s doing this every day or week or whatever. So I don’t see how that’s stealing a shtick

Now whether or not him being an average hockey player fed into his opinion of Cassidy is certainly up for debate, but by all accounts, Cassidy was indeed a terrible coach almost 20 years ago now.

Where bates gets it totally wrong is saying things like “I can’t believe he’s a coach now/idk maybe he’s gotten it together/I don’t see it”

As if people can’t change and grow, and more to the point, his body of work in that time span speaks for itself.

If bates had real knowledge of the current nhl he’d see the bruins are where they are in large part because of Bruce and not in spite of him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bruce got another Jack Adams nomination this year
I agree. I was being a little tongue in cheek with the Mike Commodore bit.

My guess is that Bataglia being on SC was exactly because someone knew he harbored a grudge and would be willing to say so. Can't imagine why he'd be on otherwise -- unless it was to talk about his murderous scum grandfather!?!?:naughty:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I agree. I was being a little tongue in cheek with the Mike Commodore bit.

My guess is that Bataglia being on SC was exactly because someone knew he harbored a grudge and would be willing to say so. Can't imagine why he'd be on otherwise -- unless it was to talk about his murderous scum grandfather!?!?:naughty:

They honestly didn’t talk much about Cassidy so I doubt it

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Right.
Did the reporter who interviewed him put a query on Craigslist asking:
"If you ever played for Butch Cassidy could you PLEASE call me and grant me an interview, I'll pay you $20.00 USD for your story!"

Interview was on spittin chiclets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad