Management Bruce Cassidy II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
My problem with Cassidy was down the stretch of the regular season when the Bruins had numerous injuries and a difficult schedule. I think it was time to take the foot off the gas a bit. I still believe he could benefit from an ex-head coach helping him out on the bench

Reactions: rocketdan9

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
My problem with Cassidy was down the stretch of the regular season when the Bruins had numerous injuries and a difficult schedule. I think it was time to take the foot off the gas a bit. I still believe he could benefit from an ex-head coach helping him out on the bench

Joe Sacco was a head coach in Colorado for 4 years.

I agree with most of what's being said here. He's a terrific coach. During the season, with the amount of injuries we had, and the amount of young guys having amazing seasons... I think he's a big piece of that. He knows when to forgive mistakes, but he knows when enough is enough. He's honest and tells it like it is. Seems like he has the respect of the team back.

However he has absolutely been out-coached two years in a row. Boucher, you give him that because he was only head coach for half of the season and it was his first rodeo as an NHL head coach since 2002. Cooper has more playoff experience than pretty most of the head coaches in the league combined, but we were just completely unable to adjust to Tampa. Overall I'm still thrilled to have him as coach and we're slowly but surely improving, but at a much faster rate than I expected.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I'm not sure I buy into the Cassidy was outcoached theory. Fact is, the Bruins were outmatched by Tampa's talent, not outcoached. I think we're also going to find out that there are several B's who were/are nursing more than the typical late season/playoff type injuries down the stretch.

That said, the outcoached thing never really resonates with me unless you can cite stuff like this:

Hail to the Chief: How Brad Stevens Has Stopped the Sixers

That's concrete stuff there. I don't see that being applicable to anything Jon Cooper or Guy Boucher did:

Jon Cooper had a sound strategy:

Score first
Clog up the neutral zone
Sit on the lead

Kinda sounds like what Guy Boucher's entire system is all about to me. That's not exactly what I'd consider outcoaching anyone. Smart, but not exactly rocket surgery.

If that were true then we'd also have to say that Cassidy outcoached Mike Babcock (who's strategy was faith based: Pray for breakaways and for Freddie Andersen to stop something)

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
My biggest concern is how Toronto, and especially Tampa, were able to incorporate similar strategies that Ottawa did to beat the Bruins last year.

I feel like we got out-coached badly in terms of strategy.

I disagree. when the third and for most part 2nd line give you nothing.....what is he suppose to do?

Brayden Point, Palat etc secondary lines at times single handedly scored for the Sens

Last season, Eriksson and Bobby Ryan Killed us.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Joe Sacco was a head coach in Colorado for 4 years.

I agree with most of what's being said here. He's a terrific coach. During the season, with the amount of injuries we had, and the amount of young guys having amazing seasons... I think he's a big piece of that. He knows when to forgive mistakes, but he knows when enough is enough. He's honest and tells it like it is. Seems like he has the respect of the team back.

However he has absolutely been out-coached two years in a row. Boucher, you give him that because he was only head coach for half of the season and it was his first rodeo as an NHL head coach since 2002. Cooper has more playoff experience than pretty most of the head coaches in the league combined, but we were just completely unable to adjust to Tampa. Overall I'm still thrilled to have him as coach and we're slowly but surely improving, but at a much faster rate than I expected.

Not sure I buy into this. 2 years ago, they were severely undermanned, losing players to injury left and right for that series with Ott. I mean shit, they signed McAvoy, dropped him into the playoffs for his first NHL games, and burnt a year of his ELC because they were desperate for bodies. That doesn't exactly scream being out coached.

This year, I'd say it was more a case of being out executed than out coached. The players simply didn't do enough. I mean, aside from the very vocal posters screaming for Donato to be inserted into the lineup, what second guesses with coaching decisions do you have? Maybe Gionta late in the Tampa series? Or Wingles over Donato initially? But even then, guys weren't performing, so he tried what he thought was the best shot to do something. It's not like bad coaching made Rick Nash not convert on any of his many chances. Or Riley Nash play piss poor hockey. Or Heinen to be invisible. Or any number of other issues. It was poor execution.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't know why we have to find some way to scapegoat someone for the loss to TB, least of all the coach. The team was outplayed by a better team, simple as that. The Bruins had a lot of young players, a lot of injuries, key players not performing as they did in the regular season for whatever reason. I imagine there were things Cassidy might have done differently in hindsight, but if the team brought their health and the A game they showed for most of the season, we might be heading into a game 7 right now, or even preparing for the Caps.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I don't know why we have to find some way to scapegoat someone for the loss to TB, least of all the coach. The team was outplayed by a better team, simple as that. The Bruins had a lot of young players, a lot of injuries, key players not performing as they did in the regular season for whatever reason. I imagine there were things Cassidy might have done differently in hindsight, but if the team brought their health and the A game they showed for most of the season, we might be heading into a game 7 right now, or even preparing for the Caps.

Cause it's done every shift, every game, every time the Bruins get scored on, every time they lose? :nod:

Reactions: Dr Hook

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Listening to some podcasts as to what just happened

Some are blaming Cassidy for overworking his team. When the Bruins played Tampa throughout the season, they played them hard every game. Matter of fact, every game of the season...seemed like a do or die game. You can overachieve this way, but also burn out the team and by the time the playoff came around...team was not healthy enough

Tampa played at 80 percent capacity until the last game vs the Bruins and played for real. And Bruins couldn't beat them (which was the same story in the playoffs)

I think there is some merit to this and Cassidy once 2nd place was in the bag should have rested everyone

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm not sure I buy into the Cassidy was outcoached theory. Fact is, the Bruins were outmatched by Tampa's talent, not outcoached. I think we're also going to find out that there are several B's who were/are nursing more than the typical late season/playoff type injuries down the stretch.

That said, the outcoached thing never really resonates with me unless you can cite stuff like this:

Hail to the Chief: How Brad Stevens Has Stopped the Sixers

That's concrete stuff there. I don't see that being applicable to anything Jon Cooper or Guy Boucher did:

Jon Cooper had a sound strategy:

Score first
Clog up the neutral zone
Sit on the lead

Kinda sounds like what Guy Boucher's entire system is all about to me. That's not exactly what I'd consider outcoaching anyone. Smart, but not exactly rocket surgery.

If that were true then we'd also have to say that Cassidy outcoached Mike Babcock (who's strategy was faith based: Pray for breakaways and for Freddie Andersen to stop something)

He played Gionta in the playoffs.

Not ready to fire him but the honeymoon is over. Can hardly think of a good coaching move he made. He deserves blame for the bottom 6 being terrible and giving us nothing he made a lame move every game and none worked to spark the bottom of the roster. Doesn't have the minerals to scratch Backes or Rick Nash and send a real message.

He didn't lose to Toronto at least.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
He played Gionta in the playoffs.

Not ready to fire him but the honeymoon is over. Can hardly think of a good coaching move he made. He deserves blame for the bottom 6 being terrible and giving us nothing he made a lame move every game and none worked to spark the bottom of the roster. Doesn't have the minerals to scratch Backes or Rick Nash and send a real message.

He didn't lose to Toronto at least.

Ehhh, I wouldn't get too worked up about putting Gionta in there. We have no clue who was dealing with what so there might be a good reason that he did that. As far as the bottom 6 being terrible, what's the solution? Bring up another 6 guys to replace them?

And if you have said minerals to scratch Backes or Rick Nash in the second round of the playoffs my guess is that your NHL coaching shelf life would be a really short one. Your GM would like to speak with you...

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Not sure I buy into this. 2 years ago, they were severely undermanned, losing players to injury left and right for that series with Ott. I mean ****, they signed McAvoy, dropped him into the playoffs for his first NHL games, and burnt a year of his ELC because they were desperate for bodies. That doesn't exactly scream being out coached.

This year, I'd say it was more a case of being out executed than out coached. The players simply didn't do enough. I mean, aside from the very vocal posters screaming for Donato to be inserted into the lineup, what second guesses with coaching decisions do you have? Maybe Gionta late in the Tampa series? Or Wingles over Donato initially? But even then, guys weren't performing, so he tried what he thought was the best shot to do something. It's not like bad coaching made Rick Nash not convert on any of his many chances. Or Riley Nash play piss poor hockey. Or Heinen to be invisible. Or any number of other issues. It was poor execution.

Cassidy wasn't out coached in either of the two series losses and he certainly didn't out coach Babcock in the win . As far as the Ottawa series goes though the bruins were anywhere between a 160/100 to 170 /100 favorite and the oddsmakers knew Carlo and Krug probably wouldn't play in the series so let's not pretend winning was impossible . I know we lost a couple more guys but a lot of guys stepped up .

With all this said it is funny listening to a guy that would give you a million times different answer if say a past coach was doing the exact same things . We did get swept games 3 and 4 twice at home and lost a series in 5 games hmmmm that hasn't happened in a while has it .

ThE reality is I like Cassidy and think he is doing an awesome job and obviously it was right decision but I don't get the hate or mocking of a guy who had a fabulous playoff record here .

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Krug and Miller got killed by the Marner and Point line. Gave up the most goals by a defensive pairing in the playoffs

Yet Cassidy was in , no rush to adjust to this, split them up or something

I would say this was a key mistake he made in the playoffs. Other than this, he had faith the other lines would perform like they did in the regular season. Switching it up made little to no difference

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Not sure I buy into this. 2 years ago, they were severely undermanned, losing players to injury left and right for that series with Ott. I mean ****, they signed McAvoy, dropped him into the playoffs for his first NHL games, and burnt a year of his ELC because they were desperate for bodies. That doesn't exactly scream being out coached.

"The players simply didn't do enough."

It really is as simple as that.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Cassidy was absolutely the right choice for coach. However I would’ve liked to have seen an adjustment made to beat that Tampa 2 man forecheck. It just seemed like games 2-5 the Bruins struggled mightily to exit their zone cleanly, yet Tampa would breakout effortlessly. Now it falls on the players to perform, but at some point after losing games 2 & 3 I’d expect to see something change in strategy exiting the zone or getting through that neutral zone.

Cassidy is a young coach and hopefully this was a learning experience for him. Good season and looking forward to 2018-19 season

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The bruins had a chance to get 1st right up until the last game of the season? So where is this magic time where 2nd place was in the bag and he should have rested everyone?

Yes. How many times have I read that the Bruins ****ed themselves by dropping the Florida game and drawing the tougher matchup that tired them out. But now we lost so time to critcize Cassidy for also trying for 1st and the potential for an easier matchup.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yes. How many times have I read that the Bruins ****ed themselves by dropping the Florida game and drawing the tougher matchup that tired them out. But now we lost so time to critcize Cassidy for also trying for 1st and the potential for an easier matchup.

I think some people create scenarios in their head that aren’t real to make a point. How does anyone forget the bruins having multiple chances to clinch first this year? It was a month ago.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruce Cassidy is a big reason for hope in the Bruins’ near future - The Boston Globe

Recycling head coaches is standard operating procedure in the pro sports world, where experience, even failed experience, can trump so much else on a candidate’s résumé.

For Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy, however, the wait for a second chance in the NHL took 12 long and circuitous years. From an abbreviated stint with the Washington Capitals that ended back in 2004 to his promotion to interim Bruins coach midway through last season, Cassidy put in both the hours and the miles necessary to traverse the difficult road back behind a professional bench.

And though this Bruins season is still fading in the shadow of a second-round playoff loss to Tampa Bay, what Cassidy accomplished in his first full season stands as one of the many reasons for belief that a deeper postseason run is in the offing.

jean tardiff

Jul 4, 2018
How much does Coach Cassidy make a year and how many more years is he signed for. What do you think they will sign him
For if it’s almost done

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

I wish Cassidy's press conferences were two hours long and I could watch them. I love how honest and truthful and knowledgeable he comes across. He really needs to start being recognized as one of the better coaches going in the game. Sample size is getting bigger and the results are getting better. I personally love everything about him.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I think Bruce Cassidy is the best coach for this part of the Bruins timeline. They faced a difficult time with personal where a veteran core didn't have support. They needed to change some of the salary structure. And they needed to figure out a way to make some of the younger guys fill a bigger role, some of whom just weren't panning out.
I was really on the rebuild boat, having seem sports franchises try to rebuild on the fly and not have much success at either competing or rebuilding.
But promoting Cassidy proved me wrong. A guy with so much experience with some of the younger guys already in the organization was able to use them in the right places. An AHL coach also has so much experience moving players around for one reason or another he was able to improvise in though situations.
That and the guy turned the PP around. A lot of people that I respect a great deal think he's a night and day difference from CJ in the system, but I don't see it the Bruins continue to be a very strong defensive team looking to capitalize on other teams' mistakes (except at the end of CJs tenure here...). But the PP is night and day. During Claude's years the only upside to a PP was that the other team was going to be less aggressive. Forget about goals. But now I acutally get excited for PPs.

Reactions: Ritmo

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Whatsup with Cassidy giving a score 1st type talent like Bjork, almost zero chance to succeed?

I like Nordstrom and Acciari but having these two form a line, almost guarantees you a 2nd 4th line on the team

I understand how frugal the Bruins are with defense, but the team is hurting to score at this time

I think the team can have one of Nordstrom or Acciari on the third line, but players like Bjork, Donato will not be able to carry the offensive load.... no way

I think Cassidy and Sweeney need to throw away the idea of wanting to be the 90's Devil and accept the idea that without scoring you also can't win in todays league (especially today)

Goodluck to Donato but if he goes on another scoring dry spell... I'm not sure this time you can blame him (in addition if Bjork does well down at providence).

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
“Where we really need [improvement] is the low-to-high passes. When we get it to the defensemen we’re really struggling to get those shots [through]. It’s almost ironic that David Krejci, a forward, gets one through to give us a chance,” said Cassidy. “We need a little more there and we’ve talked about that on a regular basis. That’s an area of our game where when you’re not scoring on a basis it could be really productive.”

This is bc of lack of Ds with real offensive skills. Other than Krug and mc (though he is allergic to shooting for some reason)

The Ds just play hot potatoe with the puck, dump to the corners etc. By the time ready to shoot, a player is right in front of them/wall built.

There are never any fake slap shot moves. Spins to lose their man and get a closer view of the net. But most importantly none have a leathal/accurate shot.... Boychuck would be huge welcome for instance

Reactions: Strafer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad