Boston Globe Bruce Cassidy has rewritten parts of Claude Julien’s playbook

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruce Cassidy has rewritten parts of Claude Julien’s playbook - The Boston Globe

In some ways, Bruce Cassidy is following the playbook Claude Julien started to write in 2007. But as the Bruins prepare to play the Julien-led Canadiens Saturday for the first time since his Boston dismissal, the successor to the franchise’s winningest coach has rewritten some of the pages.

The results swing in Cassidy’s favor. The Bruins begin their second-half sprint with a 23-10-7 record, 13 points north of Montreal. Cassidy is 41-18-8 since replacing Julien on Feb. 7, 2017. They are cruising toward the playoffs for a second straight season. The Bruins were unlikely to have qualified last year without Cassidy as their catalyst.

“With Bruce, the mind-set is, ‘Let’s get the next goal,’ ” said Bruins president Cam Neely. “Whether we have a one-goal lead or a two-goal lead, it’s, ‘Let’s get the next one.’

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He also made a crucial change in practices. Up tempo pace that translates to having an edge in the 3rd period vs the good old boys club that lead to failures late in the game due to conditioning. They practice hard and play hard for the full duration. Also giving the green light to the dee to join the rush and not fall back all the time. Plus cycling and driving the net versus cycle and push it back to the dee for a shoot that gets blocked and the pressure dies. Up tempo, push the pace and activate the dee, attack vs back peddle and clog

Reactions: 00BW and sooshii

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I thoroughly enjoy Butch's approach . The way he manages the young players is something I particularly enjoy. Exciting .
There is no limit to how far this team can go this year and many future years

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
No need to bash one to like the other. Clode gave the Bruins a great 08-14 run. Some may say it could have been better. Others may say they never win a Cup with another coach. I enjoyed the Clode years. Gave me the only Cup in my lifetime.

Love also the transition to Cassidy. Was septic at the start but I really like the up tempo game they are playing. We’ll see what the end result is but with this much talent on this team and on the wing, the Cassidy era should at least meet if not surpass the Cup Julien got.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
One of the things I never, ever understood about Julien was he refused to even reference overall game pace, much less emphasize it. It was and still is an incredibly weird part of his coaching style to me.

From the very beginning, Cassidy stressed playing with pace. Bruce emphasized it numerous times in episodes of "Behind the B" shortly after taking over the job which leads me to believe it was really never mentioned prior. Peak conditioning and endurance is so, so important to succeed in this league and I am glad the guy currently at the helm puts that at forefront.

It would just be cheap talk if it wasn't plainly obvious the change that has occurred on the ice, regardless of the shift in personnel.

Reactions: DKH

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I've enjoyed watching Cassidy run the bench and tweak the system.

One part of the article that was confusing was the part about Cassidy prefering a 1-1-3 to the 1-2-2 they used to use, and how Fluto frames that as being more aggressive.

"The quicker the Bruins can pressure pucks and cause turnovers, the faster they can go on the attack and prevent bad things from happening in their zone."

The 1-2-2 is designed to create turnovers in the offensive zone and at the attacking blue line. F1 divides the ice and forces the puck carrier to one side where F2 and F3 are waiting to create a turnover. Failing that, the 2 D are the third layer and they don't attack aggressively because if the other team has gotten past all 3 forecheckers they're likely in a 2on2 or 3on2 situation. Either way, that system is designed to create turnovers further up ice than a 1-1-3.

In a 1-1-3, the pinch point is the defending blue line. They have a forward back with the 2 defensemen in the 3rd layer. Having 3 guys across the blue line (so to speak) is what allows the defensemen to attack outside the dots and create turnovers at the defensive blue line where the line itself aids the strategy in that it limits movement by the other team.

Regardless of the differences, the system has been highly effective.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I also see the defense stepping up at the red line to cut off passes from the opposition. And that is great because once they get possession they have less distance to cover to get the puck in the attacking zone and they don't have to worry about icing.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
D clearly told to have amnesia about the old system when it comes to passing D to D for a half hour or retreating back into their own zone to allow forwards to regroup and try to break out at one time.

D given green light to join the rush or to pinch

Attack, attack and attack. Be aggressive on the forecheck, try to disrupt the opponents in their zone

Allow more creativity, while Cassidy has systems in place, he doesn`t appear to be a guy who becomes visibly uncomfortable if, gawd forbid, a player pushes out his "lane" for the sake of creativity and trying to create an offensive opportunity.

Quicker to make in game personnel decisions and isn`t afraid to plant a vet or rookie

Has clearly instilled an attitude of resiliency with the boys and a belief that even in games where they find themself chasing things, they aren`t out of it. Over the last few years with CJ behind the bench, if down by a goal, or dare I say even 2 goals, I pretty much shut the TV off, just didn`t have that next step or urgency outside of a few games where suddenly, with under two minutes to play they turned it up a notch

You`d think with what I mentioned I hated CJ, I didn`t, think he`s a terrific coach but I think he`s one who is, very much like Guy Boucher, incapable/struggling to admit and adjust to what works best in this league now. That said, I`ll always be grateful to CJ for being a huge part of helping the B`s win a cup

Square Hammer*

Jan 22, 2017
Love the not so thinly veiled shot on Julien by the Prez.
And it’s 100% correct. We lost way too many games with Julien that we should have won just because he wanted to sit on the lead.

I’ll always appreciate what Julien did for Boston, but with the talent we had from 2009-2014, it’s disappointing that we only had one cup victory and several early exits (‘12 and ‘14 in particular).

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I absolutely still love Claude and think he's a good coach, but I also love what Cassidy has brought to the Bs. There's no either/or to me. I know he hasn't even coached a full season but so far I am all-in on Cassidy. If the Bs continue to perform well and win a couple rounds in the playoffs he should be considered for coach of the year. He has integrated a ton of youth into a squad that started off the year injury-ridden, with a cold number one goalie, and some non-factor vets. Cassidy somehow kept the team competitive, almost never getting blown out. He has devised strategies and lineups to put the team in the best position to be successful. He has demanded accountability. There is no reason the Bs should at this point be one of the odds-on favorites to win the Cup and be in the top three in the power rankings, but they are. Cassidy is a massive reason for that.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I've enjoyed watching Cassidy run the bench and tweak the system.

One part of the article that was confusing was the part about Cassidy prefering a 1-1-3 to the 1-2-2 they used to use, and how Fluto frames that as being more aggressive.

"The quicker the Bruins can pressure pucks and cause turnovers, the faster they can go on the attack and prevent bad things from happening in their zone."

The 1-2-2 is designed to create turnovers in the offensive zone and at the attacking blue line. F1 divides the ice and forces the puck carrier to one side where F2 and F3 are waiting to create a turnover. Failing that, the 2 D are the third layer and they don't attack aggressively because if the other team has gotten past all 3 forecheckers they're likely in a 2on2 or 3on2 situation. Either way, that system is designed to create turnovers further up ice than a 1-1-3.

In a 1-1-3, the pinch point is the defending blue line. They have a forward back with the 2 defensemen in the 3rd layer. Having 3 guys across the blue line (so to speak) is what allows the defensemen to attack outside the dots and create turnovers at the defensive blue line where the line itself aids the strategy in that it limits movement by the other team.

Regardless of the differences, the system has been highly effective.

What I have noticed is the the 1-1 guys are always rotating and putting forechecking pressure on the opposing D. Marchand and Pastrnak resemble a tornado when they really get going hahaha. It also enables them to direct the breakout into a pinch point like on a 1-1-3 that Boucher liked to employ, the Bruins is much, much more aggressive than the way we saw Tampa play it where they would sit back and wait.

That is my theory anyway as to why he was calling it a 1-1-3.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I absolutely still love Claude and think he's a good coach, but I also love what Cassidy has brought to the Bs. There's no either/or to me. I know he hasn't even coached a full season but so far I am all-in on Cassidy. If the Bs continue to perform well and win a couple rounds in the playoffs he should be considered for coach of the year. He has integrated a ton of youth into a squad that started off the year injury-ridden, with a cold number one goalie, and some non-factor vets. Cassidy somehow kept the team competitive, almost never getting blown out. He has devised strategies and lineups to put the team in the best position to be successful. He has demanded accountability. There is no reason the Bs should at this point be one of the odds-on favorites to win the Cup and be in the top three in the power rankings, but they are. Cassidy is a massive reason for that.

I actually think Claude would be the perfect coach for the Oilers.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
What I have noticed is the the 1-1 guys are always rotating and putting forechecking pressure on the opposing D. Marchand and Pastrnak resemble a tornado when they really get going hahaha. It also enables them to direct the breakout into a pinch point like on a 1-1-3 that Boucher liked to employ, the Bruins is much, much more aggressive than the way we saw Tampa play it where they would sit back and wait.

That is my theory anyway as to why he was calling it a 1-1-3.
you're confusing the 1-1-3 with the 1-3-1. They are not the same thing. The 1-3-1 is the system Boucher famously employs. It's 1 forechecker, 3 guys in the neutral zone and one D back at the defending blue-line.

1-1-3 is 1 forechecker, 1 guy in the NZ and 3 defenders across the defending blueline.

Of course the numbers are just the formation...these can be employed more aggressively or passively as a team sees fit.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
Of course I love the success this team has been having lately. I have a hard time imagining Grzelcyk sticking (and thriving) with the big club under Claude. To me he's most obvious indicator of the difference between Cassidy and Julien's coaching styles.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I love the question of "who would you replace the coach with if he's fired" every time a coach is on the hot seat.

It's not the fans job to know who will come in and do a good job.

I knew Claude had to be fired but I wasn't sure Cassidy would be the answer. Glad I was wrong.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
you're confusing the 1-1-3 with the 1-3-1. They are not the same thing. The 1-3-1 is the system Boucher famously employs. It's 1 forechecker, 3 guys in the neutral zone and one D back at the defending blue-line.

1-1-3 is 1 forechecker, 1 guy in the NZ and 3 defenders across the defending blueline.

Of course the numbers are just the formation...these can be employed more aggressively or passively as a team sees fit.
You're right, thanks

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Perfect storm on so many levels

Cassidy Bruins get 22 points in next 15 games that's 112 points in his first 82 games or one season

To put in perspective the only team with more then 112 points last season was the Washington Capitals with 118

Pretty insane

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
D clearly told to have amnesia about the old system when it comes to passing D to D for a half hour or retreating back into their own zone to allow forwards to regroup and try to break out at one time.

D given green light to join the rush or to pinch

Attack, attack and attack. Be aggressive on the forecheck, try to disrupt the opponents in their zone

Allow more creativity, while Cassidy has systems in place, he doesn`t appear to be a guy who becomes visibly uncomfortable if, gawd forbid, a player pushes out his "lane" for the sake of creativity and trying to create an offensive opportunity.

Quicker to make in game personnel decisions and isn`t afraid to plant a vet or rookie

Has clearly instilled an attitude of resiliency with the boys and a belief that even in games where they find themself chasing things, they aren`t out of it. Over the last few years with CJ behind the bench, if down by a goal, or dare I say even 2 goals, I pretty much shut the TV off, just didn`t have that next step or urgency outside of a few games where suddenly, with under two minutes to play they turned it up a notch

You`d think with what I mentioned I hated CJ, I didn`t, think he`s a terrific coach but I think he`s one who is, very much like Guy Boucher, incapable/struggling to admit and adjust to what works best in this league now. That said, I`ll always be grateful to CJ for being a huge part of helping the B`s win a cup

Good post O. Cassidy is maximizing the skillset of each player. The D is a perfect example of that.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Good post O. Cassidy is maximizing the skillset of each player. The D is a perfect example of that.
Clodes system exhausted the D. They cycled and had to absorb a lot of hits because of that. Sometimes I think, they would have to brace themselves for a hit other than focusing on what to do with the puck. Many errand passes that were intercepted. I look at Chara now and don't see him gassed. Clode had a very demanding system without a lot of reward. I don't think this team is as constructed or as successful if Clode was here. I wonder what players would be playing? Anyhow, glad Cassidy is succeeding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad