Boston Bruins Bruce Cassidy has been signed to a multi-year contract extension

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
With Cassidy at the helm, I can finally empathize with those who shat all over Julien's tenure in Boston.

I find myself at constant odds with Cassidy's personnel decisions and find much of his rigidity to be of detriment to the quality of on-ice play.

But the results belie my opinions. I recognize that Cassidy has done a hell of a job in Boston even if I'll never honestly admit it.

I like Butch a lot but somehow he let Craig Berube of all people outcoach him in the biggest series of his life. Losing 3 out of 4 home Stanley Cup games doesn’t really sit that well with me either.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Also missed the playoffs his last 2 years,lost in the first round twice and the second round 3 times,won 10 playoff series in 10 years while boring me to tears.
Those last 2 missed playoffs are more on Sweeney than Julien.

Cassidy really impressed since he became coach in Boston.
A well deserved contract.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I find it hard to put it on Sweeney when Julien was tracking toward a 3rd DNQ and Cassidy turned it around with the same team

Sweeney traded Lucic and Hamilton that summer and replaced them w Beleskey and Zach Trotman not qualifying in 2016 was absolutely on Sweeney, and I am fine with it, just put blame where it should go,

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I never liked Clodes style of play. It’s not to say it wasn’t effective. It ws very structured which they needed when he came aboard. It was just boring to watch. The constant cycling drove me nuts and made me fall asleep. Too much board play. Cassidy has a little of everything and does try to make adjustments. He sa a more modern approach. Congrats to Cassidy!

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I guess it does seem dismissive, which wasn't the intention. I didn't mention Claude by name because I didn't want to incite the Claude-ites into breaking my balls over it when the focus is and should be on Cassidy getting a well deserved extension.

But as you can see, that was bound to happen anyways... :laugh:
Did anyone else hear this in their head like one would pronounce crudités?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Congrats to Butch. You're not going to please all of the people all the time but all in all nobody is perfect. There were a couple of things I would have liked to see done differently but all in all he's done a great job.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Good to sign him. He is so much better with preparation/conditioning and playing an up tempo mobile game. He is very likeable and does not cry in the media, seems like a real down to earth kinda guy

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Great decision, thoroughly deserved. Cassidy clearly has both the respect and love of the players, and has them operating as a very hard-working, tough, united and confident squad who play a good brand of hockey that is really well organised and tough to break down while usually still allowing for our speed and skill guys to go to work.

He talks hockey and tactics incredibly well, is straight up, honest and doesn't make excuses. I agree at least to a point with some of the more common criticisms that he could sometimes be more vocal behind the bench and more pro-active in changing up his lines, but they're not big issues and whatever I or anyone else may think about various decisions he makes his record speaks for itself - the vast majority of the time he gets things right.

I think this season will be his toughest challenge yet. Our veterans are another year older, the off-season was short and the disappointment deep, a lot of effort and energy was put into the post-season run, there are again at least 2 holes on our forward lines and we've picked up very little over the summer, and while our prospects and youngsters are better than a lot of 'experts' seem to think, at this stage probably only Kuhlman has in any way proven that he's definitely NHL-calibre and ready, so working out who's going to deliver and be the best fit is going to be important and will take time and careful management to sort out.

Juggling all that and banking enough points in an ultra-competitive Atlantic Division that is probably going to be even tougher than last year's is going to take some doing, but if anyone can achieve it I think it's Butch.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I like Butch a lot but somehow he let Craig Berube of all people outcoach him in the biggest series of his life. Losing 3 out of 4 home Stanley Cup games doesn’t really sit that well with me either.

By this line of thinking, Cassidy outcoached his rival coaches throughout the playoffs, until the finals. Berube did also. No one outcoached him. So Berube must be the best coach in the NHL.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
By this line of thinking, Cassidy outcoached his rival coaches throughout the playoffs, until the finals. Berube did also. No one outcoached him. So Berube must be the best coach in the NHL.

Agree with not being out coached but it is concerning to me a little bit how he team's best players seem to take nights off during that final and it cost the Cup.

Bruins should have not lost to that blues team and that goalie.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Agree with not being out coached but it is concerning to me a little bit how he team's best players seem to take nights off during that final and it cost the Cup.

Do you really think any players take nights off in the NHL finals?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

If the coach needs to motivate players in the Stanley cup finals, those players need to be traded asap.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018

You say that acting like Berube's a bad coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad