Bruce Boudreau out per Friedman, Russo

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Weird. The wild seem like they’re playing over their heads as-is. Not sure what he’s expecting.
not really.. IDK why people look at Minnesota as if they are Detroit. Yeah they're not very exciting but they have a lot of solid players. Wild card/bubble is exactly where they should be. They have a better roster than Columbus for example. They just have a lack of star power and mediocre goaltending.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The Wild are doing what St Louis did last year, if to a slightly lesser extent. They were in last place or close for most of the first 2 months. Have been clawing their way back up to a playoff spot - and even though they're technically 11th in the west now, they're only 3 points back of WC with 3 games in hand. Very well positioned. Also 13 points in last 10 games.

This doesn't make any sense...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The stat that they showed during last nights game, was that we were something like 24-4-2 when we get .900 save% in a game (basically league average).

Now, you add that to where our defensive metrics place us (at the top of the league in a lot of categories), and it's pretty easy to see what the team's biggest problem has been all season. A problem that Guerin either refused or was incapable of addressing for 50+ games.

I've disagreed with a lot of Boudreau's line combos and usage stuff, but this feels like we did him dirty.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The stat that they showed during last nights game, was that we were something like 24-4-2 when we get .900 save% in a game (basically league average).

Now, you add that to where our defensive metrics place us (at the top of the league in a lot of categories), and it's pretty easy to see what the team's biggest problem has been all season. A problem that Guerin either refused or was incapable of addressing for 50+ games.

I've disagreed with a lot of Boudreau's line combos and usage stuff, but this feels like we did him dirty.

The Wild have the best xGA/60 in the league 5v5 and aren't trading a lot of offense to get it. Boudreau is an excellent coach and it shows in the numbers.

Bizarre firing unless Guerin wants to blatantly tank.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I am not sure I understand the intended direction for Minnesota. Are they trying to remain competitive for the playoffs? Are they trying to tear it down in a full scale rebuild? Are they trying to rebuild on the fly?

With much of what I have seen/heard over the past 18 months, it seems somewhat erratic. Is the owner an issue behind the scene?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
We should have kidnapped Brodin last night.

That is odd to begin a rebuild and fire a coach with 1/4 of the season left when his contract is up anyway.

Was just speculating who the Wild could possibly trade next... Brodin is at the top of that list in my mind.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Makes no sense to me to fire him now when his contract was up in the offseason anyway. Boudreau is a great regular season coach. He gets more out of his guys than should be expected, and currently that was happening as the Wild was playing hard and on a good run. I don't get it, except for maybe . . .

Is the owner an issue behind the scene?

Very possible. The owner is like an erratic fan. He doesn't have the patience to see a long-term plan through, and hence the team never gets to the top.

SealsFan4Life

May 22, 2019
Ontario, CA
The timing of this is suss...
Wild have been playing well in the last 10 games and not far from a WC spot.

With this firing that makes 8 Head Coaches terminated this year so far. Ties the record.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I am not sure I understand the intended direction for Minnesota. Are they trying to remain competitive for the playoffs? Are they trying to tear it down in a full scale rebuild? Are they trying to rebuild on the fly?

With much of what I have seen/heard over the past 18 months, it seems somewhat erratic. Is the owner an issue behind the scene?

GM issue - Paul Fenton tried to re-tool and make us compete for the playoffs this season. He got fired almost immediately after several horrible trades and internal personnel issues.

Guerin was hired as GM and it seems he's embracing a full rebuild.

Sure, the Wild are fighting for a wildcard spot currently, but realistically? They have no chance of making it past first round of the playoffs.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
I'm not sure why people are so surprised by this. Yeah, we're 3 points from a wildcard spot. Does this team really need another wildcard playoff birth? I feel like Guerin just realistically sees what this team is which isn't a playoff contender. Real changed are finally being made

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Maybe Guerin had Gallant interested and needed to make this move to reel him in.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If They had no intent to resign him after the season, then canning him now gives them a head start hiring someone else.

SealsFan4Life

May 22, 2019
Ontario, CA
I'm not sure why people are so surprised by this. Yeah, we're 3 points from a wildcard spot. Does this team really need another wildcard playoff birth? I feel like Guerin just realistically sees what this team is which isn't a playoff contender. Real changed are finally being made

I would imagine you and other Wild fans would LOVE to be in the playoffs even if it is just a WC spot.
I just want to know why Guerin let him go when the team right now is playing well. They are 6-3-1 in the last 10 games.

I guess nothing makes sense anymore lol

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

Wild also has Kahkonen in the AHL. Potentially 0.8% better goalie than Stalock, but we won't call him up since Dubnyk would need to vacate a spot.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Obviously a lot can change in 5 years but when Bruce was hired in MN, he said that MN was his last stop in coaching - he'd retire when he was done here. I'm pissed that he was fired - I think he's the only reason that this shit roster wasn't in last place. He clearly knows how to mentor young guys and make them better- he'd have been the right guy for the rebuild, IMO.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not many head coaches have survived two GMs changes for as long as he has. It was obvious that Guerin was eventually going to want to hire his own coach. What perplexes me is the timing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad