Value of: Brooks Orpik (offseason)

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
In the offseason, the Caps can realistically keep only one of Alzner, Orpik.
This season, Orpik has played better than Alzner, but given the age factor, one figures the Caps would still lean towards keeping Alzner, if possible.

Orpik has been excellent on the bottom pair with a young PMD partner (Schmidt), he's part of a very good PK unit, and he's been very solid in spot top-4 duty, as well, averaging 17:57 TOI. He's 36, two more years (after this season) left on a contract that pays 5.5M per. IMO, on many teams, he'd be a good overall top-4 guy, still.

I'm actually honestly not completely sure if he'll have negative value or not. The contract is relatively expensive, but the remaining term is short, and the guy looks great this year. If you're a team with cap space and less-than-stellar defense, Orpik is likely to bring a significant positive impact, IMO. Even more so if you have young D men that need a stabilizing force. When I take a look back at the Caps in the beginning of the Ovi era, it would've been a huge boost to get a guy like that for a couple of years with all the inconsistent/young D-men the Caps had. On the other hand, if the salary cap stays the same this year, more teams might be feeling the squeeze, making it more difficult to move a contract like this.

So, what what you ask -- or give -- to put Orpik on your team?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
5.5m contract for a couple more years and he is like 36? While having become less effective. More likely wsh needs to pay to get rid of him.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
it will cost us something to trade him but he is still a serviceable player, so it shouldn't be to ridiculous.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Rather have Orpik for 2 more years at 5.5 than Alzner for 7-8 more at 5.5 to be honest.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
Rather have Orpik for 2 more years at 5.5 than Alzner for 7-8 more at 5.5 to be honest.

Alzner is and always has been a better d-man than Orpik. Orpik wasn't worth 5.5 million a year 3 years ago and certainly isn't worth it now.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Personally would let Alzner walk, his demands will be huge, and he hasn't been playing that well this season (at least to justify the high price tag he'll be wanting). For around 6m a year would look to the open market or a trade this summer for another D.

As for Orpik, if we can't offload him without giving up too much would keep him around for another season or two.

Even without Alzner and Orpik, we have a good D core with Niskanen, Orlov, Carslon and Schmidt with Bowey on the horizon (Chorney is serviceable). Could you imagine that core with an additional 11m in cap space freed up by the departure of Alzner and Orpik? Gives us options for sure. Would certainly give us a lot of breathing room to re-sign Oshie (which I believe is essential, we have lacked a consistent 1RW for years until he showed up).

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Alzner is and always has been a better d-man than Orpik. Orpik wasn't worth 5.5 million a year 3 years ago and certainly isn't worth it now.

Orpik has been better than Alzner this season. I'll rather take my chances with Orpik than give Alzner that 7-8 year contract and pay someone to take Orpik who has actually been good this season.

Will Alzner bounce back? Who knows. I wouldn't risk that kind of amount in finding out. Of course there is also the option of Alzner walking away and still dumping Orpik and replacing him with cheaper alternative.

Besides Orpik right now is a much better player than he was 3 years ago. Or 4. He was terrible at the end of his Penguins -career and pretty bad fit to their system.

DrTucker

Jan 29, 2015
Halifax
I'd offer up Hunwick, Polak a 2nd this year and 3rd next year for Orpik and Bowey.

Gives Washington some depth for the playoffs and a mild downgrade to Orpik, some good future assets and most importantly for Wash $5.5 million in cap room starting next year, allowing them to keep their window open just a little longer.

Gives Toronto a veteran to help stabilize the bottom 3 and a future 2nd pairing rhd, while utilizing thier financial power.

Small picture Caps fans will probably be up in arms, but big picture this is actually good for both teams going forward.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I'd offer up Hunwick, Polak a 2nd this year and 3rd next year for Orpik and Bowey.

Gives Washington some depth for the playoffs and a mild downgrade to Orpik, some good future assets and most importantly for Wash $5.5 million in cap room starting next year, allowing them to keep their window open just a little longer.

Gives Toronto a veteran to help stabilize the bottom 3 and a future 2nd pairing rhd, while utilizing thier financial power.

Small picture Caps fans will probably be up in arms, but big picture this is actually good for both teams going forward.

Zero interest in downgrading Orpik before the Playoffs.

Zero interest in Hunwick and/or Polak.

Not that keen on trading Madison Bowey. Certainly not at the cost of dumping Orpik.

No thanks.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Orpik has done himself and Caps a huge favor in that he has played really well, probably his best season since becoming a Cap.

I think a lot depends on what happens in the playoffs. If Orpik plays well and Caps do well, then just keep him. Personally, I have no interest in committing to Alzner for the next 6 years but then I'm not the GM.

Orpik would be a good addition to many teams so if Caps want to offload him in the offseason for zero return, I think they will be able to.

Did some one just try trade Polak and Hunwick to the league leading Washington Capitals??? Was Dan Girardi not available?

DrTucker

Jan 29, 2015
Halifax
Zero interest in downgrading Orpik before the Playoffs.

Zero interest in Hunwick and/or Polak.

Not that keen on trading Madison Bowey. Certainly not at the cost of dumping Orpik.

No thanks.

All fair points. I can understand everything fully.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad