Brooklyn Nets hire Steve Nash as Coach (4 yr deal)

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
So what about when Magic Johnson was given the Lakers HC job despite 0 coaching experience?

Or when Rivers got the Magic job with 0 coaching experience?

Lue also had 100% of his success coaching the greatest player of this generation, so lets not act like hes some genius. & we all know he and Bron were basically co-coaches. I have read he had a good rep as a assistant coach but he really hasn't been in the coaching ranks that long.

Kidd did OK with a team that was built solely to win a title in year one. A ridiculously flawed team. But him throwing the whole attempted coup thing was something else...

While Kerr was PHX GM, he had no experience coaching so it really can go either way.

Apparently Kyrie has a lot of respect for him and Nash also dealt with similar headaches during his playing career so who knows. Nash surely talked to Kyrie about everything, otherwise I don't see him taking the job.

Does not look great when your replacement wins a title in year 1 and then completes the greatest regular season ever in year 2.
People in the NBA media are acting like KD is going to comeback and still be in his prime after an ACL tear. It unlikely that he will be a bad player but it is safe to assume that his peak years are behind him. Maybe the nash hire is more about managing workloads and injuries more than anything.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
People in the NBA media are acting like KD is going to comeback and still be in his prime after an ACL tear. It unlikely that he will be a bad players but it is safe to assume that his peak years are behind him. Maybe the nash hire is more about managing workloads and injuries more than anything.

He's also 30 now so with or without the tear it was unlikely he would win more scoring titles or MVPs. However, I think he'll still be a top 10 player especially with 18 months of rest/rehab.

Rivers turned out great, he’s HOF bound when his coaching days are done.

I agree 100%. Point is, Nash didn't get the job because of the color of his skin. He got it because he's A) a HHOF player/one of the best PG of all time and B) His work w/ GS was seen in a very positive light.

It is to a certain extent.

Doesn't mean its a bad hiring, though.

Please explain :facepalm:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
its not white privilege

white privilege absolutely exists but this is not an example. what other coaches are available anyways? durant enjoyed working with nash in GS and of course the nets will listen to their superstar. that's pretty much it

Agree. Lue doesn't exactly have a ton of experience and was basically a co-coach w/ LeBron and while the Nets did well in the bubble, Vaughans time in Orlando didn't exactly go great. As a former star PG himself, Nash is probably one of the most well equipped guys to deal with Kyrie

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Very few athletes have had to work as hard as Nash to achieve what he did, given he was one of the least athletic players in the league. Maybe he'll be a shitty coach, but he certainly wasn't gifted anything.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Very few athletes have had to work as hard as Nash to achieve what he did, given he was one of the least athletic players in the league. Maybe he'll be a shitty coach, but he certainly wasn't gifted anything.
Maybe Nash was not Magic athleticism wise but you cannot be a HOF player by being Joe Schmo.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The only controversy here is just ESPN being blatant with what they do, they have personalities take positions that they know will create headlines to get clicks and people to tune in. They just like to create drama, this just happened to be a case where the vast majority sees it for what it is. I'm not even sold on SAS genuinely believing what he said. He did something similar when Luke Walton was hired by the Lakers, so he either genuinely believes it, or it's just a shtick that he amped up to get more attention this time around.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Maybe Nash was not Magic athleticism wise but you cannot be a HOF player by being Joe Schmo.

I think the point is Nash was barely scouted coming out of Canada and then coming from a small college. He really had to prove himself.

The only controversy here is just ESPN being blatant with what they do, they have personalities take positions that they know will create headlines to get clicks and people to tune in. They just like to create drama, this just happened to be a case where the vast majority sees it for what it is. I'm not even sold on SAS genuinely believing what he said. He did something similar when Luke Walton was hired by the Lakers, so he either genuinely believes it, or it's just a shtick that he amped up to get more attention this time around.

I wonder what his reaction would be in the 90s when Rivers + Johnson got coaching jobs with no experience.

We often use old boys club when it comes to hockey, but it applies to every sport. Once you're in (either as a player, coach or office guy) you're in. You essentially have a job for life.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Steve Nash made it to the NBA without having the benefit of playing HS basketball in the US like the new generation of Canadian players did before going to college.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I honestly feel bad for Nash that he has to coach these jackasses. Poor guy will be blamed when this team inevitability implodes ans fails

Sep 19, 2008
I was very alarmed watching ESPN yesterday and they mentioned on the scoreline that Kyrie and KD think Nash is in it as a collaborative role. Lmao. He's your boss, not your buddy buddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad