Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova709

Mar 26, 2017
So there supposed start this thing in a few months.....and there has been no renderings or anything released to the public since the initial award of the bid....seems a little odd to me....usually everything is released way in advance with future building's....guess im.just excited to see it in detail

WorkHahdPlayHahd

Mar 7, 2016
So there supposed start this thing in a few months.....and there has been no renderings or anything released to the public since the initial award of the bid....seems a little odd to me....usually everything is released way in advance with future building's....guess im.just excited to see it in detail
That's what I've been asking as well. All we've "officially" seen are a few artist sketches.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Keep the posts on topic please. I don't care who has friends, is afraid of public transit, family trees, or anything else.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

LIRR Hunterspoint is going to have to bump up its game for Amazon's arrival. Amazon + Arena = LIRR upgrades

Reactions: periferal

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
https://libn.com/2018/11/15/fear-and-loathing-in-elmont/

'By: David Winzelberg November 15, 2018

With the long-awaited environmental impact statement on the proposed Belmont Park arena project due out next month, locals say serious issues remain as major obstacles to the plan, which may ultimately be challenged in court.

While New York Islanders officials say the $1 billion project is on track and construction will begin in May, opponents of the development say that estimate is overly optimistic, citing several problems that could prove difficult to overcome.

The developers, New York Arena Partners, an entity selected by Empire State Development, wants to transform 43 acres of Belmont parking lots into an 18,000-seat arena, a 250-room hotel, a 435,000-square-foot retail complex and a 10,000-square-foot community center. The arena is scheduled to be completed by the start of the National Hockey League season in Oct. 2021...

At last month’s candidates forum at the Elmont Public Library, State Sen. Todd Kaminsky said: “I’d love to come back here in a couple of months and say we now have full-time train service…If I can’t come back and stand here and look you in the face and say those things, I’m going to have a big problem with the project.”..

The MTA has been looking at several options for LIRR upgrades at Belmont Park, ranging in cost from $30 million for limited service to $300 million for a full-time station, according to Mitch Pally, an MTA board member and CEO of the Long Island Builders Institute.

“They’re still figuring out what they can do,” Pally told LIBN. “No decision has been made and there’s no decision as to how to pay for it. I assume there will be some sort of cost sharing involved.”...'

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The MTA has been looking at several options for LIRR upgrades at Belmont Park, ranging in cost from $30 million for limited service to $300 million for a full-time station
That's it? Pffft. According to the deceased equine guy, a full-time station was impossible. $300 million (of other people's money) is nothing. :rolleyes:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
That's it? Pffft. According to the deceased equine guy, a full-time station was impossible. $300 million (of other people's money) is nothing. :rolleyes:

Maybe Amazon can donate to the Belmont station from the 1.7 BILLION they're getting to come to NY...

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
When asked if ESD would scrap the project if the issues raised in the impact statement prove insurmountable, the spokesman said: “I’ve never seen that happen. If there are impacts, we try and figure them out. There’s different ways to skin that cat. You don’t just walk away from it.”

The project is simply going to be moving forward without full-time service. Yes, it's less than ideal, but it's not going to be a dealbreaker for the developers. They are already well-aware of the MTA challenges. As an aside, Randi Marshall has opined that the lack of full-time train service really isn't going to be a deal breaker.

“I think that if the points that I mentioned are not fully and completely addressed, it will require litigation and someone could easily ask the court to enjoin any construction or any work on the arena project until all of these legal issues are resolved,” Siegel says.

This part is bluster. Theoretically, someone could try to stop this, sure. But the difference between attempting to stop development, even temporarily, and succeeding is non-trivial.

Reactions: MJF

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
https://nypost.com/2018/11/15/no-pomp-needed-as-islanders-time-at-barclays-winds-down/

'By Brett Cyrgalis
November 15, 2018 | 5:48pm

For most of the Islanders players, the home at Barclays Center never quite felt like home. So any bit of nostalgia that might have come with what could be their final season playing in Brooklyn has never surfaced, not even in the hours before they defended their undefeated streak against the Rangers on Atlantic Avenue, beating them 7-5 on Thursday night.

“I think, honestly, with that place, it always felt temporary,” alternate captain Cal Clutterbuck told The Post before the game, his team now having won all seven previous matches against the Rangers at Barclays — one in a shootout — along with an overall record in the rivalry of 12-1-0 dating back to the 2015-16 season.

“It doesn’t have the same feeling of the last season at the Coliseum,” Clutterbuck added about that final year on Long Island in 2014-15. “At the time, that was an end of an era and a building that had seen a lot and gone through a lot. That’s one of the issues [with Barclays], I think — for some reason, it has the underlying feeling of non-permanency.”...

Well, this year might be it for the Hudson River Rivalry being played just down the street from the Brooklyn Bridge. The Islanders have said they remain on schedule to start construction on their new building at Belmont Park sometime in the next few months, and the plan is for it to be ready to open for the 2021-22 season.

That leaves two more seasons after this one when the club needs to find a home. There remains a contentious relationship with Barclays Center management, who know that they can make more money by booking concerts and other events rather than playing host to the Islanders’ negligible crowds for however many dates a year.

If the Islanders played all of their home games at the Coliseum for the next two seasons, certainly the fans and the players would be happy, most of whom live on Long Island...'

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
https://nypost.com/2018/11/15/no-pomp-needed-as-islanders-time-at-barclays-winds-down/

'By Brett Cyrgalis

For most of the Islanders players, the home at Barclays Center never quite felt like home. So any bit of nostalgia that might have come with what could be their final season playing in Brooklyn has never surfaced, not even in the hours before they defended their undefeated streak against the Rangers on Atlantic Avenue, beating them 7-5 on Thursday night.

“I think, honestly, with that place, it always felt temporary,” alternate captain Cal Clutterbuck told The Post before the game, his team now having won all seven previous matches against the Rangers at Barclays — one in a shootout — along with an overall record in the rivalry of 12-1-0 dating back to the 2015-16 season.

“It doesn’t have the same feeling of the last season at the Coliseum,” Clutterbuck added about that final year on Long Island in 2014-15. “At the time, that was an end of an era and a building that had seen a lot and gone through a lot. That’s one of the issues [with Barclays], I think — for some reason, it has the underlying feeling of non-permanency.”...

Well, this year might be it for the Hudson River Rivalry being played just down the street from the Brooklyn Bridge. The Islanders have said they remain on schedule to start construction on their new building at Belmont Park sometime in the next few months, and the plan is for it to be ready to open for the 2021-22 season.

That leaves two more seasons after this one when the club needs to find a home. There remains a contentious relationship with Barclays Center management, who know that they can make more money by booking concerts and other events rather than playing host to the Islanders’ negligible crowds for however many dates a year.

If the Islanders played all of their home games at the Coliseum for the next two seasons, certainly the fans and the players would be happy, most of whom live on Long Island...'

Not that this is surprising, but quotes like this from the team are just one more push in the direction of Barclays being done after this season.

Reactions: Costigan77

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

'By Brett Cyrgalis

“The players love Brooklyn!”

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
“I think, honestly, with that place, it always felt temporary,” alternate captain Cal Clutterbuck told The Post. I think — for some reason, it has the underlying feeling of non-permanency.”...

I've felt the same way about Clutterbuck's Islander career.

Reactions: sabremike

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Not that this is surprising, but quotes like this from the team are just one more push in the direction of Barclays being done after this season.

Isles might as well try to push return to Coliseum full time from December 1 onwards. Paid attendance was just over 10000 yesterday against Stars Event Summary

“The players love Brooklyn!”

:huh:
Islanders Moved to Brooklyn, but the Players and Their Dogs Stay on Long Island

By Allan Kreda
  • Nov. 25, 2016
GARDEN CITY, N.Y. — When Casey Cizikas and Calvin de Haan of the Islanders meet up off the ice, there is much running, stick throwing and shouting — with nary a puck in sight.
Their canine companions, two for each, happily romp and crunch drying leaves under their paws at a park near their Garden City, N.Y., homes. The dogs stop to catch their breath with tails wagging, waiting for a pat on the head and maybe a treat to nibble.
This suburban scene provides further evidence of how Islanders players and their families remain entrenched on Long Island despite playing games in Brooklyn...

I've felt the same way about Clutterbuck's Islander career.

Cal didn't have to stay with the Isles after the Brooklyn move. But Garth offered him a 5 year deal that pays over 3 million a year and Cal took it, despite all the problems at Barclays

Reactions: WagnerGrad96

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Funny how the players are now finally confirming the suspicion we have all had about players thoughts on arena. Its garbage.

Also confirmed, is the fact that players lie or mute their true feelings as they don't want to rock the boat. They had no choice but to take the LIRR and deal with that place, as there was no alternative.

Now that they are going back to the Coli, and soon to their new arena, they can slowly let their feelings go about what they really thought. I'll probably make one more trip to that horseshoe, and get one more glance at the place which will align itself in the popularity with the Gortons Fisherman.

Once construction starts at Belmont, peeing outside back in the trailers in Uniondale will be a welcome relief...

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Funny how the players are now finally confirming the suspicion we have all had about players thoughts on arena. Its garbage.

Also confirmed, is the fact that players lie or mute their true feelings as they don't want to rock the boat. They had no choice but to take the LIRR and deal with that place, as there was no alternative.

Now that they are going back to the Coli, and soon to their new arena, they can slowly let their feelings go about what they really thought. I'll probably make one more trip to that horseshoe, and get one more glance at the place which will align itself in the popularity with the Gortons Fisherman.

Once construction starts at Belmont, peeing outside back in the trailers in Uniondale will be a welcome relief...

When I was in elementary school I will never forget the sight of seeing a grown man pee on a Sabres fans car (Sabres bumper sticker) during the playoff series after game 3. It was one of those memories where you go back and think "this is home".

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
When I was in elementary school I will never forget the sight of seeing a grown man pee on a Sabres fans car (Sabres bumper sticker) during the playoff series after game 3. It was one of those memories where you go back and think "this is home".
THAT WAS MY CAR YOU ASSHOLE!!!!
;)

But seriously if it was the slug logo I forgive the guy.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Some insight into what shopping malls are doing abroad and our own Scott Malkin quoted. Might give you an idea that whatever shopping will be at Belmont will have some sort of "tweak" to it....

Libraries, Gardens, Museums. Oh, and a Clothing Store.

Shopping areas in Asia are about the experience, not just the retail sale.

19mallscambodiaadd3-articleLarge.jpg

The T Galleria by DFS in Siem Reap, Cambodia. The almost 60-foot-long art installation hanging in the central atrium was inspired by the warm colors of Buddhist monks' robes.CreditCreditDavid Rama Terrazas Morales for The New York Times

Reactions: doublechili

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Most of us have come to not only expect and accept the pain, but to relish it as well.

For too many, I think there's a direct correlation between how painful/embarrassing the Isles are and their passion for the team. It's either that or complete ignorance that could be satisfied on any level with a wang/snow/capuano triumvirate when you now see what is possible with competent crew of people running the team.

Might consider renaming them the New York Masochists.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
A rumor that started about 2 months ago has been confirmed

https://libn.com/2018/11/29/islanders-welcome-new-president-of-business-operations/

'By: Bernadette Starzee November 29, 2018

As the New York Islanders gear up to build a $1 billion arena in Belmont Park, the team tapped Travis Williams to serve as president of business operations.
Williams joined the Islanders from the Pittsburgh Penguins, where he was chief operating officer for the past eight seasons. In that role, he oversaw all aspects of the day-to-day business and arena operations for the club...

“We are pleased that Travis has joined the Islanders organization to lead our business operations as we embark on the Belmont Park arena project,” Islanders co-owner Jon Ledecky said in a statement...'

Reactions: WagnerGrad96

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

Yes... years of "reading between the lines" confirmed!

Reactions: Bones45 and MJF

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Ledecky: No 'showstoppers' expected in Belmont study

By Jim Baumbach[email protected] @jimbaumbachUpdated November 30, 2018 3:03 PM (EST)

'Islanders co-owner Jon Ledecky said the soon-to-be-released environmental study at Belmont Park will not include any significant hurdles that might jeopardize the Islanders’ timeline to start construction on their future arena.
“I don’t think there are any showstoppers, from what I’ve been led to believe,” Ledecky said Friday at NYCB Live’s Nassau Coliseum, a day before the team’s first regular-season game at their former Long Island home arena.
“We can adapt to what the findings are and we will,” Ledecky said. “The whole thing is to stay on course and to be playing hockey at Belmont Park in 2021.”...'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad