Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion 2018-19 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Side note...not sure if I mentioned this.

The Rinx, in Hauppauge...crap ice. They also dont fully illuminate, so tons of shadows.

Much better move for Suffolk folks to make drive to Northwell next to Coli.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Amazing that an opposition group paid for a study, design, and renderings of an alternative option at Belmont. Regardless if it's political or not, it's certainly a fair idea (And sadly their rendering is much better than the design NYAP put together).

Also amazing that if you're playing baseball on their "west" field and hit a home-run to right...It will land on the Cross Island.

Elmont Group Opposed To New Islanders Arena Suggests Using Land As Ball Fields Instead

TIMOTHY BOLGERMARCH 25, 2019

Elmont Against The Megamall, a group of residents opposed to building a new arena for the New York Islanders near Belmont Park, released this rendering of their proposal for the land: Parks and a community center.

A group of residents opposed to building a new arena for the New York Islanders on land next to Belmont Park in Elmont have released a proposal of their own for the site.

Instead of a hockey arena, the land should be used for a community center, Little League fields, and other sports fields, according to Elmont Against The Megamall, which has registered with New York State as a lobbying organization and hired California-based strategist Howard Kushlan to lead its lobbying efforts.

https://www.longislandpress.com/2019/03/25/elmont-group-opposed-to-new-islanders-arena-suggests-using-land-as-ball-fields-instead/

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Amazing that an opposition group paid for a study, design, and renderings of an alternative option at Belmont. Regardless if it's political or not, it's certainly a fair idea (And sadly their rendering is much better than the design NYAP put together).

Also amazing that if you're playing baseball on their "west" field and hit a home-run to right...It will land on the Cross Island.

Elmont Group Opposed To New Islanders Arena Suggests Using Land As Ball Fields Instead

Elmont Against The Megamall, a group of residents opposed to building a new arena for the New York Islanders near Belmont Park, released this rendering of their proposal for the land: Parks and a community center.

A group of residents opposed to building a new arena for the New York Islanders on land next to Belmont Park in Elmont have released a proposal of their own for the site.

Instead of a hockey arena, the land should be used for a community center, Little League fields, and other sports fields, according to Elmont Against The Megamall, which has registered with New York State as a lobbying organization and hired California-based strategist Howard Kushlan to lead its lobbying efforts.

https://www.longislandpress.com/2019/03/25/elmont-group-opposed-to-new-islanders-arena-suggests-using-land-as-ball-fields-instead/
It’s almost as if nobody thinks the state should have a say in how they use their land to create revenue.

Ballfields? When the tax increases keep coming instead of being stemmed maybe they can double charge the little leagues for their permits:facepalm:.

Reactions: nyisles

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Ballfields? The only thing Long Island needs more than baseball fields is parking lots.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk

Can we all just band together and create a group called "Long Islanders Against 'Elmont Against The Megamall'"? Strength in numbers, baby!

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Why are they renovating all those neighborhood homes into minimalistic shipping containers?

Reactions: PK Cronin

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Also, those who think that all of Elmont is against this, they're not -- just a small, albeit loud, minority. Consider:

“When ESD met with town officials and talked about their ideas for a community park at Belmont, we told them we already had a park that could use development,” Johnson said. “So they agreed to finance and bring real change to our park.”

Simmonie Gordon, a member of the Elmont mothers group Muscle Moms, described the deal with the arena developers as a chance for substantial improvement in Elmont. She said a new park would encourage local children and parents to spend time outside, and community groups, older adults and schoolchildren could do a great deal with the community and innovation centers at Belmont. She said she also saw the proposed retail village as a way not only to bring out-of-towners to shop in Elmont, but also to keep local people from spending their money elsewhere.

Residents said they also believe that development of Belmont could help curb the number of young adults leaving Elmont, as it could help build civic pride in their hometown and offer them employment opportunities. ESD officials have said that about 3,000 permanent jobs will be available at Belmont and that the developers are being encouraged to hire local residents. The jobs might be low-paying service work, and not be the type of tech jobs that arena opponents would like, but Johnson said they would be perfect for teens and young adults looking to make money and move up in their professional lives.

“These jobs are stepping stones for bigger and better things, and with minimum-wage going up in New York, this would be perfect for our kids to earn some income,” Johnson said.

Johnson and other local residents have become increasingly vocal in their support for the Belmont Arena project after Floral Park residents recently became more vocal in their opposition to it during village meetings. While Gordon understands that the arena would also affect Floral Park, she and Johnson said it would be unfair for residents there to reject a project that would bring several benefits to Elmont.
“Yes, there’s going to be more traffic, but we’re willing to take that in exchange for what Elmont can gain,” Gordon said.
Elmont Road Park falling apart for years
All of which is giving Williams a sad.

norwegianislander

May 9, 2009
Hamar, Norway
I live in Norway so for me its not important where on Long Island the arena gets built, but I been to the Coli 6 times and Long Island is the home of the New York Islanders for me. I was really worried when the Lighthouse project didnt get built, that the Islanders would leave Long Island and Islanders would be gone.

The history of this team, the jersey (logo and colors) and you the passionate fans are reasons why I love this team. If this team ends up moving, thats it for me.

Anyways, the red flags or smoke if you will are getting me nervous that there are problems with the Belmont Park arena. I know nothing about the process other then what I read here, in the Newsday and hear on the Isles podcasts. Should I be worried?

Reactions: WagnerGrad96

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I live in Norway so for me its not important where on Long Island the arena gets built, but I been to the Coli 6 times and Long Island is the home of the New York Islanders for me. I was really worried when the Lighthouse project didnt get built, that the Islanders would leave Long Island and Islanders would be gone.

The history of this team, the jersey (logo and colors) and you the passionate fans are reasons why I love this team. If this team ends up moving, thats it for me.

Anyways, the red flags or smoke if you will are getting me nervous that there are problems with the Belmont Park arena. I know nothing about the process other then what I read here, in the Newsday and hear on the Isles podcasts. Should I be worried?
It's natural as an Islanders fan to always wonder when the bottom is going to fall out. I'm more bullish on Belmont than most people because I recognize the project is good for 2 entities, the Islanders and NYRA, who is trying to revitalize a race track by finding new ways to get people to come to Belmont Park. I label myself cautiously optimistic. I realize the one real problem here is full time LIRR service, but I believe that over time, as the project is built in stages (arena first, retail next,etc) from 2021 to 2024 that full train service to NYC from Belmont will become a reality. That will be the thing that quiets most of the objections to the project.

Reactions: periferal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad