GDT: Bronze Medal Game - May 25 - Russia vs Czech Republic

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I’m sure people are gonna complain about the Czech shooters but honestly Vasy is the best shootout goalie in the world by a mile. Knew Russia had won the second ot ended.
Agreed... those weren't bad choices or anything.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I say it every year but the IIHF is absolute garbage for allowing a Medal game to be decided by a tacky skills competition. It's mindblowing...

Someone give me a good reason why it's not continuous OT like the Stanley Cup Playoffs?!

I think the Gold medal game has no shootout this year?

Reactions: Firsov99 and Stubu

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The least satisfying way to win the least satisfying medal. Vasilevsky won this one solo - no help from anyone else there. My condolences to Czechs who had to play and watch this game.
Silver feels worse than Bronze.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Congrats to Russia for Bronze. Vasi has been unreal, he was key for Russia today.

I really liked the Czech effort today compared to yesterdays game against Canada. Even if we lost the game, it was not for lack of trying, that's the most important part for me. We need to work on our scoring efficiency though, its absolutely catastrophic. We had so many scoring chances to win this game in the 3rd period alone, but didn't capitalize on any.

I guess the quest for a medal continues for the Czechs. There is certainly more positive then negative to take away from this tourney. Cesi do toho!
Agreed.. it was a very good tournament. I really enjoyed the team. It was nice to see that guys like Simon can keep up as 1C's or Kubalik before he goes to NHL. I wonder if Bartosak makes his way back? Hronek looks every bit a full time NHLer next season which is nice. First tournament I loved Kovar so much. We're about 2 years away from having a competitive best on best team too if all the bounces go our way. 50 shots and 40 shots and 2 losses.lol

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
They could try one 20 minute period of 5 on 5 and then scrape the ice and do this 3 on 3 for 10 minutes and then a shootout. It would only add 45 minutes to the event.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
They could try one 20 minute period of 5 on 5 and then scrape the ice and do this 3 on 3 for 10 minutes and then a shootout. It would only add 45 minutes to the event.
I don't even disagree, we have similar ideas. I don't like 3 on 3 to determine this but it was exciting as hell. I think, when it used to be 5 on 5 for 10 minutes some nations just trapped like hell and bet on shootout. FTR.. I've seen a lot of NHL double and triple OT's and the games are rarely that good.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Should be continuous 5 on 5... no one is playing after them.
I think it is continuous 5 on 5. Ray mentioned it in the third period. Maybe I heard wrong though. 3 on 3 is an NHL gimmick to break ties and still catch the plane to the next city.

Pourquoi pas

Jun 20, 2011
I say it every year but the IIHF is absolute garbage for allowing a Medal game to be decided by a tacky skills competition. It's mindblowing...

Someone give me a good reason why it's not continuous OT like the Stanley Cup Playoffs?!

The game has to finish in time as it is played in the same arena as the gold medal game.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think it is continuous 5 on 5. Ray mentioned it in the third period. Maybe I heard wrong though. 3 on 3 is an NHL gimmick to break ties and still catch the plane to the next city.
Yeah, I don't mind 3 on 3 in regular season either. Of course, I'm an Oiler's fan and that is half our wins with Drai and Connor.lol

Reactions: robertocarlos

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Czechs played pretty good in the OT and got some nice chances but they just couldn't finish. Vasilevskiy played well and didn't give them much.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Zaruba just read the shots on net from EHT against Russia... 18, 20, 23, 20 and then 50 today.lol I mean, they give it everything!

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Kovar was so close.. needed to keep going wide! ****en hell.. another 5 hole goal... that's 3 today. I agree with Hronek choice... Vasilevsky was amazing. I didn't like Hrubec's chances. 3 five hole goals squeaked through him.

It's amazing because we lost in shootout but you'd be hardpressed to convince me that Czechs were worse during the game.

Russia seemed "out of it" after the loss to the Finns. I think they were not playing to their fullest, but the Czech team was playing really well. Respect to the Czech Team, it's very good. Next year will bring another great tournament. :)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs played pretty good in the OT and got some nice chances but they just couldn't finish. Vasilevskiy played well and didn't give them much.
I think we were a lot better in the OT... mind you, Gusev should've won it on that empty netter.

Reactions: Mikeshane

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I’m sure people are gonna complain about the Czech shooters but honestly Vasy is the best shootout goalie in the world by a mile. Knew Russia had won the second ot ended.

Vasilevsky was rock-solid. Great goaltender, very consistent and seems to be a good person too.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
We'll have to disagree on that... other than the Gusev part.

In terms of chances Russia had the best one with Gusev and puck possession was tilted in Russia's favour. In terms of the 3rd period, yes, I'll agree. Russia stopped playing or something, they seemed to lack a game plan.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006

I think that the gold medal game will be a continuous game from now on. But who cares about a continuous game for the bronze between semifinal losers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->