GDT: Bronze Medal Game - May 25 - Russia vs Czech Republic

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
4 on 4 per rulebook. Unless the IIHF website is not up to date.
The Finnish broadcast team had a discussion about it and at least they said it's 3 on 3. Wouldn't be the first time they're not up to date with their facts though.

Last year it was 10 minute (?) 4 on 4 and then a shootout.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
The Finnish broadcast team had a discussion about it and at least they said it's 3 on 3. Wouldn't be the first time they're not up to date with their facts though.

Last year it was 10 minute (?) 4 on 4 and then a shootout.
I've done some research:
The IIHF most recent rule book is from May 2018, which still has the old 4 on 4 format. But according to this article from Dec 2018, it will be a continuous 3 on 3 in the gold medal game.

IIHF - New OT format at Worlds

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
This loss is incredible disappointing, guys battled hard and left everything on the ice. Shootouts were the worst possible ending for us... Vasilevsky in the net + russian players and their individual skills. Hats off to Hrubec, he was impressive and really challenged Vasilevsky who's arguably the best goalie in the NHL, interesting move from Riha. It was great hockey game though.

This is tough to swallow, bronze medal was so close today, 8 years and counting...

Reactions: Czechboy

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Too bad it went to a shootout - but I guess they can't keep indefinite OT going with the Gold Medal game on deck.

The alternative would be to have the Bronze medal game at a different location but I guess it's kind of an anti-climactic finish to not have all three medalling teams around at the end.

Congratulations to both teams for strong showings at this tournament.

Reactions: joey16

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Great game by the Czechs. They looked like they were willing to die on the ice. I agree with BlitzSnipe, the Russians looked like they were really down and dispirited today. It looked like the Czechs were destined to win, but the Russians hung on, and then looked pretty sharp in the shootout. My sense is that we won't see Vorobyev behind the bench anymore. He only lost one game, but expectations were really high, and after a great prelim round, the team looked really shaky in the medal games.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Just happy my man Gusev had a good tournament. Generally I'm also pleased with the state of Russian hockey.

We have good young players. One flukey loss to the Finns doesn't change that.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Just happy my man Gusev had a good tournament. Generally I'm also pleased with the state of Russian hockey.

Yea you have decent young players, but not close to talent level of young Finnish players:D

Reactions: Husqvarna

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Great game by the Czechs. They looked like they were willing to die on the ice. I agree with BlitzSnipe, the Russians looked like they were really down and dispirited today. It looked like the Czechs were destined to win, but the Russians hung on, and then looked pretty sharp in the shootout. My sense is that we won't see Vorobyev behind the bench anymore. He only lost one game, but expectations were really high, and after a great prelim round, the team looked really shaky in the medal games.

Unfortunately, we will see Vorobyev again, he'll continue working. I found the Russia - Finland a complete coach's loss, Russia had everything necessary to win that game.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014

Gusev had a good tournmanet for sure, but for some reason he wasn't quite as sharp as usual vs. the Finns, and in some moments he kept on losing the puck which is surprising for a player of his skill level. He was better vs. the Czechs but still not quite at his potential. Maybe it was the fatigue, who knows.
As for Russian hockey, I feel that this loss vs. Finland was indeed a disappointment. The Finnish team had pretty much no "stars" in the lineup. Vorobyev just didn't step up with any ideas on how to "break" the Finnish game, which is precisely his job as coach. Unfortunately, he'll remain head coach for now.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

I don't disagree that there are good young players like Kaprizov and Gusev, but I'm not as optimistic about the state of Russian hockey. There aren't enough good young players being produced to win international tournaments. Russia has a population of 144 million people, Finland has less than 6 million. And yet they are able to match Russia, some might argue surpass them, in the quantity and quality of hockey players. Other than Tarasenko, Svechnikov and Panarin, there are no really top level NHL talents who weren't available for the WC. Defense is a huge weakness that has never really been addressed. Russian fans have a right to expect better!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't disagree that there are good young players like Kaprizov and Gusev, but I'm not as optimistic about the state of Russian hockey. There aren't enough good young players being produced to win international tournaments. Russia has a population of 144 million people, Finland has less than 6 million. And yet they are able to match Russia, some might argue surpass them, in the quantity and quality of hockey players. Other than Tarasenko, Svechnikov and Panarin, there are no really top level NHL talents who weren't available for the WC. Defense is a huge weakness that has never really been addressed. Russian fans have a right to expect better!
Provorov is going to be exceptional

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

You think Grigorenko still has an NHL future?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->