GDT: Bronze Medal Game - May 20 - USA vs Canada

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
A fitting fate for this incarnation of Team Canada.

Surprising because they looked decent on paper but were so lackluster on the ice throughout the entire tournament.

At some point you have to look at the coaching.

I wish this tournament was at the actual end of the NHL season or sometime over the summer. I’d like all contries to have a couple weeks practice and have all of the best players available.

Honestly, this tourney doesn’t do it for me when not all players are available.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Well, they were getting chances 5 on 5. O'Reilly had just missed a wide-open net. With the goalie out, you have a slightly better chance of scoring, but a much higher risk of getting scored on. It's a fine line, but I prefer waiting until inside 2 minutes.

Don't think we disagree except for the characterization.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I wish this tournament was at the actual end of the NHL season or sometime over the summer. I’d like all contries to have a couple weeks practice and have all of the best players available.

Honestly, this tourney doesn’t do it for me when not all players are available.
We shouldn't need our best to medal in this tournament.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Good Tournament
Horvat
Parayko
McDavid
Dubois
Pageau

Bad Tournament
EkBlad
Ekblad
& Ekblad
Any bad list that doesn't include Kuemper is illegitimate.

Also even after being quadruple shifted, I like what I saw from ROR even if he didn't bury the chances he had.

Reactions: snipes

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
We shouldn't need our best to medal in this tournament.

Obviously, maybe you do. I’m not about to get into a war of words because I do consider Canada to be the best but your line of thinking is absurd. There are a lot of good hockey players in other countries.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Many U.S. players got on board for 2018 IIHF Worlds for two reasons: 1) Play for honor of Jim Johannson 2) NHL players weren’t allowed to play on the Pyeongchang Olympics this past winter played a great tournament

Reactions: glenwo2

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Obviously, maybe you do. I’m not about to get into a war of words because I do consider Canada to be the best but your line of thinking is absurd. There are a lot of good hockey players in other countries.
Sure there are. But Canada should not have issues with Germany and Latvia. Regardless. I'm quite confident our Olympic team would have fared just as well.

Canada had great players on paper with some mediocre goaltending. However, they weren't a team. It was nothing like a team. It was a bunch of dudes playing hockey. There was no line Canada could send out to get energy following. No line to grind out a goal. Just a bunch of finesse skill players who didn't click.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sure there are. But Canada should not have issues with Germany and Latvia. Regardless. I'm quite confident our Olympic team would have fared just as well.

Canada had great players on paper with some mediocre goaltending. However, they weren't a team. It was nothing like a team. It was a bunch of dudes playing hockey. There was no line Canada could send out to get energy following. No line to grind out a goal. Just a bunch of finesse skill players who didn't click.

The lack of physicality from this team pissed me off.

We played a soft Euro style game rather than the Canadian Way with a fast relentless wave after wave forecheck.

Reactions: Natey and Jamin

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Man this is embarrassing. What a putrid version of the Canadian team. Dunno if there are many I'd want back next year.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
why would you put McDavid on the PK?
Like seriously???

It was a Tie Game, and you put a player out who doesnt kill penalties just so he can reach his ice time quota.
I'd understand if they were trailing but come on.

Just idiotic coaching.

McDavid doesn't kill penalties? Did you even watch any Oilers games this year?

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I was a little disappointed with McDavid's play. Larger Ice surface I though would allow him to dominate.

So, what is the value of McDavid?

What would it take to....................

>sarcasm mode off<

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
What an idiot. You don't pull the goalie with 3 minutes to go when you only need one goal.
This is a BP trademark move. Really drove up CAR's goals against last year pulling our goalie with 5min left, and never replacing him. A 3-1 game quickly became a 6-1 game... Enjoy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->