GDT: Bronze Medal Game: Finland Vs Sweden | 9AM EST 3PM CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
oh well... next Canada Russia then gotto wait couple weeks to see Kemell and Hokkanen dangle in youth olympics

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This hasn't really been a thing for a couple of decades. You say that phrase to youngsters, they give you a blank stare. But this topic gets uncomfortably into respective domestic politics so we better digress.

Some particular players you expect to see in that team?

Lundell, Raty, Lambert, and Heinola are a good core of players to build around.

Plus with the Finnish systems they’ll be difficult for whoever they match up against. I’m expecting Raty in particular to take big steps like Lafreniere did this year.

Raty is in contention for the #1 OA in 2021.

Reactions: king89

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah, the Finns are easy to cheer for whenever they aren’t playing us. They are as fanatical about hockey as Canadians are.
I'm pretty sure that Finland and Canada are the only two nations in the world where hockey is the most popular sport. And it's not really even close in either country.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Congrats Swedes! I may have prefered our team to win, but... sometimes it's not possible. Enjoy the medal. It's really something that is not to be ashamed. Even when hopes were higher.

Nothing more really to add. :)

Reactions: LAKings88

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Swedes and Finns need each other, lol. Ying and Yang. I’d love to see a combined Nordic team.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
I agree. Sweden won just because we can't finish.
I noticed this, too. I actually thought Finland was better today. Sweden’s goalie is a lot better than yours this year.

I’ve watched both countries for twenty years, now, as a Canadian, and it’s often just individual talent depth that keeps you both from doing more. Shots that hit the goalie straight on instead of corners, fanning on the puck, less guys who can really dangle one on one.

Finland plays passionately, with sisu so to speak, and never gives up. Sweden is usually the best passing unit, and most responsible positionally, in the whole tournament, and in men’s tournies, too. You both usually lack depth of pure talent (aside from occasional crops) and really, you both need each other’s game.

Reactions: king89 and FinPanda

NekcuP

Aug 9, 2019
Good to see bronze means a lot the swedes, their commentators are so happy and meaning full.

We loss so many bronze medal games before. Three in a row too, 2015-2017.
Why should you loss just because it is a 3rd prize game? It is a medal anyway.

Finland battled hard and really wanted to beat us here. It was very clear after the game, so shut up!

Reactions: AB13

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Swedes and Finns need each other, lol. Ying and Yang. I’d love to see a combined Nordic team.

Best-on-best combined roster would truly make kick ass Team. On paper at least. Common cultural things would likely make team rather easy going, and probably there wouldn't be any too difficult team spirit issues either. But, that is purely hypotetic concept. We don't have these days even proper Top tournaments with best players for each team.

Reactions: Dingo

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Best-on-best combined roster would truly make kick ass Team. On paper at least. Common cultural things would likely make team rather easy going, and probably there wouldn't be any too difficult team spirit issues either. But, that is purely hypotetic concept. He don't have these days even proper Top tournaments with best players for each team.
I usually get shit when I suggest this, thanks for being open minded! Lol.
I always respond that we play with the québécois as a team.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
There is no way we want to join forces with Finland! never ever!

What 700-800 years that wasn't issue at all. In many of those endless historical wars Swedish core forces (Even The King's guard) were from Finland (Eastland). Lol.

Besides, if in some theoretical case teams would play on same side, I honestly think that much of our traditional bloody nosed competition would just fade away. If objective would be same, Swedes and Finns would likely complement each others very well.

Reactions: Dingo

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
What 700-800 years that wasn't issue at all. In many of those endless historical wars Swedish core forces (Even The King's guard) were from Finland (Eastland). Lol.

Besides, if in some theoretical case teams would play on same side, I honestly think that much of our traditional bloody nosed competition would just fade away. If objective would be same, Swedes and Finns would likely complement each others very well.

I ofc ment on the hockey field on the battle field we allways stay up for ecohter!

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
There is no way we want to join forces with Finland! never ever!
Haha.
Well, your teams could really use their resilience and chippiness.
I have got to be the biggest Swede hockey fan outside of Sweden, and it is frustrating as hell watching the lack of desperation in close games, the lack of pressure on the pk. Sweden plays wonderful team hockey, and NHL coaches constantly say they are the most coachable and teamfirst, egoless guys.... but you need a lot more, ‘f*** you!’ in your game

And Finland has plenty of that.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
No we don't. Sweden stayed neutral and Finland fought the Soviet union. Some volunteers did stand up for Finland though.

Sweden dident stay neutral lol... in that war I vinterkriget förklarade sig Sverige officiellt inte som neutralt utan som "icke-krigförande

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
I'm pretty sure that Finland and Canada are the only two nations in the world where hockey is the most popular sport. And it's not really even close in either country.
Sweden cares about hockey a lot.

Millions are watching wjc every year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->