Status
Not open for further replies.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Men´s
World Championship Bronze Medal 89/90, 10/11
World Championship Gold Medal 04/05, 09/10

surprisingly, not many:laugh:

Yeah, he didn't play much for the national team when he was younger. I think he excused himself a few times. Not sure completely though.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Exactly. We played a fantastic tournament overall. The last time we played so well was 2005. It's a shame about the semi-final, and it looks like perhaps Hadamczik really did made a mistake in benching Cervenka. Maybe he should have done it much earlier than the semi-final....who knows. But hey, who cares? We won gold last year, so I'm cool with just bronze now :) A lot of young players played well too, Pavelec is an excellent goaltender and shows much promise as our future no.1. Voracek and Frolik also played well. I'm proud of our guys because they gave me hope that we can still play some beautiful hockey (like our 5th goal today) and that there are still some young players with good potential for the future (albeit perhaps not as many as we'd like). Also great work by the coach for putting together such a good team.:handclap:

Though it was pretty funny to see the Czechs players so happay and celebrating when looking back at a quote from a former Czech player back in 03´: "The Slovaks were rejoicing as if they won the whole tourney. They are such clowns." :laugh: But never mind, happy that the Czechs were able to win it and even happier to see the Russians without a medal after all the hype following their win over Canada.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I'm happy above all for Elias to get this medal... he had just 1 WHC bronze + 1 Olympic bronze until now and he wanted to improve his international record before end of his career, because it's getting closer. Of course he wanted gold or something, but bronze is still ok and I think he's going to feel good about this tournament.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Game over

Nightmare over! The same book, different chapter. Horrible goaltending, defense that is even worse! Dmitriy Kalinin may have been the worst defenseman in the entire tournament, although he had a lot of competition from Atyushov, Yemelin, Kulikov, etc. There is no excuse for Bykov not pulling Barulin out of the game after the 3rd goal, because he completely fell apart (no confidence at all) after that. The offense seemed to play better today than throughout the rest of the tournament, but their efforts were futile because of the flood of pucks into the Russian net.

This will no doubt be Bykov-Zakharkin's final game. They did a horrible job, and deserve to be fired. But I have to be a little saddened by Bykov's failure, because I had high hopes for him after 2008 and 2009. There are some huge problems for the next coach to solve, and what is difficult to foresee is whether there is enough talent available to win these tournaments. I couldn't help but notice how thoroughly the Russians were outplayed in the basic elements of the game - skating, puckhandling, passing, scoring. Sweden, the Czechs and Finland all seemed to have better players than we did.

How to retool? The ZZM line produced almost nothing, and they are not getting any younger. Will Kovalchuk and Ovechkin come back next year if their NHL teams are eliminated? After the frustration of the past two years, who could blame them for declining an invitation? There are a few good prospects in the pipeline, like Tarasenko and Kuznetsov, but will they mature fast enough to make a difference in the near future? Are there any decent defensemen who are in the pipeline who could reverse the deplorable level of play we saw in this tournament? Are there any goaltenders who could step in and win games instead of blow them?

One stopgap solution: stop allowing the KHL to be used as a training ground for other national teams. Look at the number of KHL players who were important members of their teams in this tournament. The Finnish goalie who stoned our shooters is a KHL player. Look at Jagr, Marek, Aaoltennen, etc. If they were not playing in the KHL, where the level of competition is fairly high, they would be back in their home leagues (even Jagr might not make it back to the NHL). There should be a strict limit on the number of foreign players in the league so that Russian prospects have more job opportunities and more opportunities to develop. Forget trying to expand the league to other countries in Europe - nobody is interested! Start taking more comprehensive and serious efforts to upgrade youth hockey, and follow through with the commitment. I see the Swedish, Finnish, and Czech teams getting better and better, and there is a danger that Russia could be left behind. End of rant!

VladNYC*

One stopgap solution: stop allowing the KHL to be used as a training ground for other national teams. Look at the number of KHL players who were important members of their teams in this tournament. The Finnish goalie who stoned our shooters is a KHL player. Look at Jagr, Marek, Aaoltennen, etc. If they were not playing in the KHL, where the level of competition is fairly high, they would be back in their home leagues (even Jagr might not make it back to the NHL). There should be a strict limit on the number of foreign players in the league so that Russian prospects have more job opportunities and more opportunities to develop. Forget trying to expand the league to other countries in Europe - nobody is interested! Start taking more comprehensive and serious efforts to upgrade youth hockey, and follow through with the commitment. I see the Swedish, Finnish, and Czech teams getting better and better, and there is a danger that Russia could be left behind. End of rant!

This is Pejorative Slured. The KHL is NOT the RSL! It's not the Russian hockey federation! It is a multinational corporate entity whose goal from the begining was to create a Pan European Hockey league. That is their goal and with Italy and Slovakia joining the KHL, along with the other 4 there already they are well under way.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
hehe no joy for Russia last a two games, they got owned and they have how many Olympians?

Congrats Czech.

What difference does it make how many Olympians the Russians had? I don't know whether you recall or not, but Russia didn't win a medal. Don't get the Canadian issue over the number of Olympians the Russians had. The only team that Russia could beat with those Olympians was Canada!

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
Congratulations Czech, you were one of the best throughout this tournament and that bronze is well-deserved :handclap:

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
This doesn't feel as bitter as 2007 or 2010 WC. It's better that Russia **** up big time at this tournament instead of winning a routine bronze and justifying another year of B&Z. Now at least, Russia has more than two years before the Olympics to try a new coaching unit. As much as I like seeing players like Kovalchuk and Ovechkin play for our country, hopefully next year they'll be deep enough in the NHL playoffs to avoid the WC. Plenty of other players on this team need a break from the national team too.

More importantly though, Czechs got what they deserved. They looked like the best team of the whole tournament to me. Jagr now has how many medals?

You do realize that Kovalchuk was one of the dominant players, once he settled in with his linemates? Though I wouldn't mind him having long playoffs ;)

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
I'm happy above all for Elias to get this medal... he had just 1 WHC bronze + 1 Olympic bronze until now and he wanted to improve his international record before end of his career, because it's getting closer. Of course he wanted gold or something, but bronze is still ok and I think he's going to feel good about this tournament.

Me too ... Sorry Kovy ;)

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
This is Pejorative Slured. The KHL is NOT the RSL! It's not the Russian hockey federation! It is a multinational corporate entity whose goal from the begining was to create a Pan European Hockey league. That is their goal and with Italy and Slovakia joining the KHL, along with the other 4 there already they are well under way.

Here is the problem with the multinational corporate entity called the KHL -its not valued at much, and all the massive investment from Medvedev and his cronies
have produced almost no valued assets. Okay, Jagr will soon be 40, but he once was a true international superstar. Name one other international superstar in the KHL that can be marketed as an attraction that people really want to pay a lot of money to see! The fact is, whether you accept it or not, the KHL is essentially a Russian enterprise whose value comes from Russian assets, namely, Russian hockey players. How many international superstars are currently playing on KHL teams in Riga, Minsk, and in Kazakhstan? None! Why? Because there are too few Russian superstars to go around, and the ones who do exist (Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, and Kovalchuk) all play on another continent, where the KHL isn't.

Call me Pejorative Slured if you want, but if I were running an essentially Russian corporate enterprise, my first priority would be to try to give the company some worth by developing assets. Good hockey players. Without big name, exciting players, the enterprise is doomed - it will be out of business in 5 years. In fact, it might be out of business sooner than that, what with the lack of support enjoyed by some Russian iconic teams (CSKA, Dynamo). The KHL won't make it unless they can develop talent, and because of disinterest in Sweden, Finland, Germany and other places where people can invest in a franchise that will generate hundreds of millions in revenue, it will be impossible to lure away a lot of current NHL stars to come and play in the KHL The base talent is going to have to come from Russia. Do you really think Sidney Crosby is going to move to Kazan or Novokuznetsk and raise a family?

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
You do realize that Kovalchuk was one of the dominant players, once he settled in with his linemates? Though I wouldn't mind him having long playoffs ;)

The Kovy + Radulov combination was of course Russia's highlight. However, he's done pretty much everything he could do for the national team at the WC level, including being the key to two gold medal victories. If any player has earned the right to take a breather, it's Kovalchuk.

NMF78

Feb 25, 2010
Belgium
Nightmare over! The same book, different chapter. Horrible goaltending, defense that is even worse! Dmitriy Kalinin may have been the worst defenseman in the entire tournament, although he had a lot of competition from Atyushov, Yemelin, Kulikov, etc. There is no excuse for Bykov not pulling Barulin out of the game after the 3rd goal, because he completely fell apart (no confidence at all) after that. The offense seemed to play better today than throughout the rest of the tournament, but their efforts were futile because of the flood of pucks into the Russian net.

This will no doubt be Bykov-Zakharkin's final game. They did a horrible job, and deserve to be fired. But I have to be a little saddened by Bykov's failure, because I had high hopes for him after 2008 and 2009. There are some huge problems for the next coach to solve, and what is difficult to foresee is whether there is enough talent available to win these tournaments. I couldn't help but notice how thoroughly the Russians were outplayed in the basic elements of the game - skating, puckhandling, passing, scoring. Sweden, the Czechs and Finland all seemed to have better players than we did.

How to retool? The ZZM line produced almost nothing, and they are not getting any younger. Will Kovalchuk and Ovechkin come back next year if their NHL teams are eliminated? After the frustration of the past two years, who could blame them for declining an invitation? There are a few good prospects in the pipeline, like Tarasenko and Kuznetsov, but will they mature fast enough to make a difference in the near future? Are there any decent defensemen who are in the pipeline who could reverse the deplorable level of play we saw in this tournament? Are there any goaltenders who could step in and win games instead of blow them?

i think you're overreacting a bit, Russia was good enuff on paper to do a lot better then they did but for some reason they didn't (lack of chemistry, bad coaching, some players totally out of form...) now i hope they take there time to make a sensible decision as far as the coaching is concerned and give more opportunities for young players in the NT.

About the KHL, there already is a limit of 5 (i think) foreigners max for the Russian teams, i wouldn't make that more strict, good foreign players can help improve the overall level of the KHL and with a limit of 5 there must be room on most teams for young prospects coming through. I think creating the KHL was the right way to go in improving Hockey in Russia and the other countires involved but its going to take time before you can really compete with the NHL, maybe in 5/10 years time most of the Russian top players will play at home, now most of them are in long term contracts with their teams...

Last edited:

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Constant expansion and strict rules on amount of forreign players would water down the quality of KHL. NHL can have 30 teams since almost all the best players want to play there. When KHL starts to reach that amount of teams I would think the quality of the fourthlines and the third pairing d-men would be pretty bad. Especially if you stop poaching from the other european leagues. I would love to see all the best swedes in Europe in SEL though so I hope you start to have very strict rules for imports.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Why does TSN even broadcast this and then cut off everything 30 seconds later?

Broadcast a medal game? Spend 10 minutes showing the results, please.

:shakehead

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
i think you're overreacting a bit, Russia was good enuff on paper to do a lot better then they did but for some reason they didn't (lack of chemistry, bad coaching, some players totally out of form...) now i hope they take there time to make a sensible decision as far as the coaching is concerned and give more opportunities for young players in the NT.

About the KHL, there already is a limit of 5 (i think) foreigners max for the Russian teams, i wouldn't make that more strict, good foreign players can help improve the overall level of the KHL and with a limit of 5 there must be room on most teams for young prospects coming through. I think creating the KHL was the right way to go in improving Hockey in Russia and the other countires involved but its going to take time before you can really compete with the NHL, maybe in 5/10 years time most of the Russian top players will play at home, now most of them are in long term contracts with their teams...

I totally agree that i overreacted. I really get caught up in these games, and when things don't go well, I admit that I get frustrated and all of the sudden the sky is falling. I should have a six-hour cooling off period before I say a word after a loss.

I don't know if I can agree with your point that Russia was good enough on paper to win a medal, if you go beyond Ovechkin and Kovalchuk. Aside from Radulov and Tereschenko, none of the Russian guys from the KHL gave me the impression that they were underachieving. It seemed to me that they were playing hard and doing their best, but they just lacked the ability to clear the puck out of their own zone, control the puck, and get good quality scoring chances. The defense looked vulnerable when other teams pressed the action, and the forwards couldn't generate enough offense to offset the defensive breakdowns and the weak goaltending. These were the same KHL guys who have been out there for the past five WC's for Russia. Maybe it was just poor player selection, but, other than Kovalchuk and Ovechkin, these guy looked overmatched against Finland and the Czechs. .

VladNYC described my thoughts about the KHL as "Pejorative Slured," so you're not the only one who thinks I'm off base. As a private company, the KHL can hire whoever they want, and have as many non-Russian players as they want. The NHL unofficially limits non-North American players to four or five per team, because they believe that fans won't identify with European players as much as North Americans. Europeans, and particularly Russiians, tend not to play the physical game that NA fans love (Ovechkin is an exception, of course). When I made that comment, I was really thinking about goaltenders. Vetanen from Ak Bars?? was great, while Barulin played badly. KHL teams might benefit from non-Russian goaltenders, but their prevalence has clearly hurt Russia's chances of competing in international tournaments. If Barulin is the best Russian goaltender outside of the NHL, that's bad news.

I am much more interested in Russian national teams than the KHL as such, but it seems to me that with the kind of money that is pouring into the KHL for salaries, if the league doesn't develop or attract high quality players that generate interest, the league may not generate enough revenue to justify continued investment. Since the league is viewed as a Russian league, even though other nationalities are in it, the image of the league wasn't helped by today's fourth place finish, especially if the goal is to create a Pan-European league that equals or exceeds the NHL.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Constant expansion and strict rules on amount of forreign players would water down the quality of KHL. NHL can have 30 teams since almost all the best players want to play there. When KHL starts to reach that amount of teams I would think the quality of the fourthlines and the third pairing d-men would be pretty bad. Especially if you stop poaching from the other european leagues. I would love to see all the best swedes in Europe in SEL though so I hope you start to have very strict rules for imports.

I agree with you, particularly with the issue of expansion. It doesn't seem realistic to create a Pan-European league headquartered in Moscow. Historically, other Europeans don't gravitate toward Russian leadership. A lot of these attitudes probably go back to Soviet times, but i think it will take time to break down the reluctance to partner up in ventures under Russian leadership.

The best time to attract European partnership was when the league first started up. Since then, a number of teams have gone bankrupt or had severe financial difficulty, which makes the league less than attractive for a lot of would-be expansion franchises throughout Europe.

I agree totally that there should not be limits on non-Russian players, provided that those players add significantly to the quality and prestige of the league. You can't surpass the NHL if you don't have comparable quality players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad