Broken Sticks and Hitting the Post

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I have no stats to support the following. Does anyone know any of the following?

This is not in regards to the Wash. game tonight but it prompt me to post this after seeing Carle break his stick.

1)I believe that no other team breaks as many sticks as the Lightning do in the 3rd period. I remember an interview earlier in the year with gretzky and him saying that the sticks are made different from his time and they are breaking a lot more now but the few extra miles per hr. on their shot doesn't out weight breaking your stick. Anyone remember this and could concord or correct? also I'm stretching this now but I think he might have mentioned a coach that doesn't allow the new generation sticks on his team because of it. (I'm really not remembering 100 percent with that one hahahaha)

2) What is the stats with hitting the post ... is it my imagination or the lightning hit the posts way more than any other team?

side note

The most irritating and annoying thing in Hockey is when a player loses his stick and doesn't get another. instead he makes himself look foolish trying to defend. I know this is all coaches philosophy but its just wrong. when you think of how small a percentage of power play goals are actually scored during a two minute advantage surely you could go to the bench for 7 seconds and get a stick. Completely ridiculous and whoever started that should be sent behind the barn and shot.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Marty for example is still playing with a wooden stick. It's a lot heavier than today's hockey sticks but he said he felt more comfortable with it. Actually, I don't remember him ever breaking his stick so maybe there's something to it.

Either way I don't think the number of broken sticks per team is being tracked. And even if so I don't think the Lightning break more sticks than other teams.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

The most irritating and annoying thing in Hockey is when a player loses his stick and doesn't get another.
instead he makes himself look foolish trying to defend. I know this is all coaches philosophy but its just wrong. when you think of how small a percentage of power play goals are actually scored during a two minute advantage surely you could go to the bench for 7 seconds and get a stick. Completely ridiculous and whoever started that should be sent behind the barn and shot.

Because skating to the bench takes you out of the play...... at least you can block shots with your body... and it depends where you are on the ice and what's happening around you, it's not "wrong".

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
What's the word on those new sticks that are supposed to rarely break? Saw a video of them on the main board where the guy was literally axing them into the goal post and it'd just bounce off. They said they had a handful of Major-Junior guys using them to see how they worked in a competitive setting.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Because skating to the bench takes you out of the play...... at least you can block shots with your body... and it depends where you are on the ice and what's happening around you, it's not "wrong".

Yep. You're still a body on the ice, taking away passing lanes or at least your opponent might get the sense of "oh noes, can't pass that way because there's no room".

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who says you need a stick to defend?

anyway, agree with Lightningstrikes, it's another body out there, going to the bench leaves it way too open. Even if it takes 7 secs or so, it only takes a second for a shot to rip into the back of the net.

Last edited:

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I can't argue with that vidio.

hey this is a losing argument. I don't have much to work with except remembering guys like Brewer looking lost without a stick. Drives me nuts.

maybe the coach should have a list and designate which guys could play without a stick and the rest have to come back to the bench. :)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can't argue with that vidio.

hey this is a losing argument. I don't have much to work with except remembering guys like Brewer looking lost without a stick. Drives me nuts.

maybe the coach should have a list and designate which guys could play without a stick and the rest have to come back to the bench. :)

It's a good argument. Like I said takes a second, sometimes a split second for a goal to be scored, not much time to think.

Also, Not every player will get down like that and sacrifice his body. It's one of the reasons why I admire Cally so much, reminds me of Jeter jumping into the stands to catch a fly ball. Call me crazy, but it's the truth.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
BOLTMAN I'm not sure if you play hockey or not, but even at the average beer league levels if you waste that 7 seconds you're giving the other team ample time to take action and use it against you.

In the NHL they "pray" for moments like that, because when you're skating off it throws off the current players on the ice. They have to adjust for a power play they didn't know was happening, and that's when mistakes are made.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I'm originally from Chicago (yea beer league stuff) nothing to write home about. my more serious sports that I played were not Hockey.

Anyways I thank you all for you input and I think I will conclude with saying that it depends on the player. The weaker player needs to just rush to the bench and get a stick because he looks silly out there. The players like Cally and so on are a different breed and need to stay and play without a stick.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I have no stats to support the following. Does anyone know any of the following?

This is not in regards to the Wash. game tonight but it prompt me to post this after seeing Carle break his stick.

1)I believe that no other team breaks as many sticks as the Lightning do in the 3rd period. I remember an interview earlier in the year with gretzky and him saying that the sticks are made different from his time and they are breaking a lot more now but the few extra miles per hr. on their shot doesn't out weight breaking your stick. Anyone remember this and could concord or correct? also I'm stretching this now but I think he might have mentioned a coach that doesn't allow the new generation sticks on his team because of it. (I'm really not remembering 100 percent with that one hahahaha)

2) What is the stats with hitting the post ... is it my imagination or the lightning hit the posts way more than any other team?

side note

The most irritating and annoying thing in Hockey is when a player loses his stick and doesn't get another. instead he makes himself look foolish trying to defend. I know this is all coaches philosophy but its just wrong. when you think of how small a percentage of power play goals are actually scored during a two minute advantage surely you could go to the bench for 7 seconds and get a stick. Completely ridiculous and whoever started that should be sent behind the barn and shot.

well here we go one more time.

The game could have went the other way if 91 doesn't break his stick.

I think if he went to the old St Louis wooden stick and his shot lost 3 miles per hour it would make no difference.:shakehead

I mean we should all listen to Wayne Gretsky I would think.

lightningfanqc

Oct 30, 2009
Nordiques City
Marty for example is still playing with a wooden stick. It's a lot heavier than today's hockey sticks but he said he felt more comfortable with it. Actually, I don't remember him ever breaking his stick so maybe there's something to it.

Either way I don't think the number of broken sticks per team is being tracked. And even if so I don't think the Lightning break more sticks than other teams.

Marty aint playing with Wood sticks......its totally one-piece composite, but instead of getting the lighter sticks around 420 g, he use sticks around 465-470 g. More weight = more material = stronger on everything.

Stamkos is playing with one of the lighest stick on the market and also, to get more power on his shots, he takes a 95 flex stick. With all his upper body strengh, the stick get exhausted pretty fast. Plus, he gets a lot of slashing and give them too. Those hacks can kill a stick even without any mark to see.

i played in junior and im a 6'2 and 230 guy.....i used those heavier one piece with a stiff flex (110+).....contrary to Stamkos, most of my sticks broked around the blade and junction point with the Shaft. Stammer always break his sticks in the middle of the shaft, its a sign that he used a stick whipper only for his performance. if i was him, i would ask for a bit heavier stick (more material to protect the shaft).

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Marty aint playing with Wood sticks......its totally one-piece composite, but instead of getting the lighter sticks around 420 g, he use sticks around 465-470 g. More weight = more material = stronger on everything.

Stamkos is playing with one of the lighest stick on the market and also, to get more power on his shots, he takes a 95 flex stick. With all his upper body strengh, the stick get exhausted pretty fast. Plus, he gets a lot of slashing and give them too. Those hacks can kill a stick even without any mark to see.

i played in junior and im a 6'2 and 230 guy.....i used those heavier one piece with a stiff flex (110+).....contrary to Stamkos, most of my sticks broked around the blade and junction point with the Shaft. Stammer always break his sticks in the middle of the shaft, its a sign that he used a stick whipper only for his performance. if i was him, i would ask for a bit heavier stick (more material to protect the shaft).

Yea there is something wrong.

Just because everyone is doing it (using these sticks) doesn't mean its the best way to go.

They are getting about 3 more mile per hour. come on man.

Listen to 99 already.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yea there is something wrong.

Just because everyone is doing it (using these sticks) doesn't mean its the best way to go.

They are getting about 3 more mile per hour. come on man.

Listen to 99 already

99 has said some ridiculous things.... and it's more than just getting power on the shot...

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
99 has said some ridiculous things.... and it's more than just getting power on the shot...

True, but I dont think Stamkos benefits of anything else that his stick provides than how it affects his shot.

And yeah, don't listen to 99. He's pretty bad in hockey outside the rink itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad